The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha SY77 vs SY99 (sound quality)
Old 12th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
regarding the 990, I always preferred the 1000. You think the 990 is closer to the FX on the SY99?
IIRC the 1000 has more total delay memory but the 990 is true stereo in/out, which I think makes it more useful. And the 990 has a nicer user interface.

The REV500 should be much better though.
Old 2nd September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Nobody mentioned a possibility to program new algorithms on SY99? It's called Free Algorithm...

To me SY99 is one of the best synths in my synth collection. One of the reason is the very wide ability to emulate different sound synthesis:

- classical 4 or 6 operator FM

- stacked 6 operators sounds (4) - that means in reality 24 operator FM (I love stacked 4 element FM sounds with detuned elements in unisono mode, with Random Pitch - very analog sound, one oscillator more than Minimoog :-) )

- extended FM (AFM) - more algorithms, freely definable feedback loops, envelope loops, possibility to create new algorithms, possibility to filter FM sounds...

- RCM synthesis - possibility to use noise in algorithm, possibility to use internal ROM waves in algorithm, possibility to use user samples in RAM in algorithm and some more features...

- additive harmonic or inharmonic synthesis (it's part of FM - in 4 element stack with 24 partials, each has its own EG)

- component synthesis (mixing FM operator stripes together with samples, and mixing 4 such complex sounds, or 2 plus 2 based on samples only)

- vector synthesis mixing FM and samples in various combinations

- wavetable synthesis

- LA synthesis

- subtractive synthesis based on FM or samples

- pure ROM samples

- pure user samples in RAM

- granular synthesis

and probably more...

Further the sound can be deeply changed by the extreme setting of FX processors, which is the most effective when Multi mode is not used and all power of 4 FX processors is used for one patch only.
Besides standard FX very useful for experimental sounds is ring modulator, distortion and similar.

Nothing to say about another great feature for us crazy creators - possibility to use microtonality. Each MIDI note can be tuned to any frequency (not only slightly detuned in one octave, with the same setting for all the other octaves - but this is also implemented for cowards).

I will not hesitate to buy another SY99 if there's a good opportunity... I never understood some complains like the old instruments sound old, they are out of fashion, unusable, or usable only for imitation of old music... That's not true. Even old synthesizers and romplers can sound as we need for recent music, everything depends only on programming the sounds. Of course some emulative presets of acoustic instruments can sound funny after 25-30 years, when nowadays we have gigabytes of samples in samplers, and modeled instruments. But we don't need to use such sounds, and even old samples can be disused, modified and alienated by detuning, processing, mixing, filtering...

Daniel Forro
📝 Reply