The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Identify for me this classic sound that is all over hundreds of records inc 808 State
Old 2nd February 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Identify for me this classic sound that is all over hundreds of records inc 808 State

The 'bird' like sound that features heavily in this track from the very beginning:






Virtually the same sound is all over a shedload of tracks... so I figure it's probably from a classic rompler or Akai format CD?
Old 2nd February 2011
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

it's a loon bird sample, was on an emulator demo disk afaik... loon garden
Old 2nd February 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretch View Post
it's a loon bird sample, was on an emulator demo disk afaik... loon garden
Awesome. Thanks a million!
Old 2nd February 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 

I still have it on my EIII rack HD... I believe it was originally on "Volume 4 - Sound FX"? Now I have to check when I get home..
Old 2nd February 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

I can see lots of recordings of the loon bird on teh interwebs... but if someone could share the actual classic sound here, then that would be great.

... I doubt that whoever was selling this in the 80's would be too upset about someone sharing one sample 30 years later... but if anyone is concerned about that, you could always PM me with the sound if you preferred that over posting it publicly.

Old 2nd February 2011
  #6
Gear Addict
you could get a 'clean enough' sample from a remix of toxic two, rave generator?
Old 2nd February 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrasoul View Post
you could get a 'clean enough' sample from a remix of toxic two, rave generator?
Thanks for the suggestion. THere is also this:





... but basically, this route is likely to end up as sampling from 128 kbps mp3... that was ripped from a vinyl recording... of a mastered track... of a processed sample.

... If someone could make a clean 24 bit recording, that would be ideal. If not, I'll then resort to more desperate measures!
Old 2nd February 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 

I have the loon garden preset somewhere
I,ll try to dig it out and get it to you
It,s on a CD-rom so it may take a little while to find

Cheers
LK
Old 2nd February 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
I have the loon garden preset somewhere
I,ll try to dig it out and get it to you
It,s on a CD-rom so it may take a little while to find

Cheers
LK
WHOOOP! thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I remember joking about this sound back in 1993... when it was on every flippin' rave record released on at least two continents... very noticeable even at the time, not just in hindsight.

Rave... Generator.... generates... the ecstasy in you...
Old 3rd February 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
I remember joking about this sound back in 1993... when it was on every flippin' rave record released on at least two continents... very noticeable even at the time, not just in hindsight.
I'm on a mission to bring it back!

Actually, it still gets used a lot even nowadays.
Old 3rd February 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I'm on a mission to bring it back!

Actually, it still gets used a lot even nowadays.
Really?!?! Awesome! The Canadian Wildlife Service approves! A litttle Hinterland Who's Who? hehthumbsup

Old 3rd February 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Really?!?! Awesome! The Canadian Wildlife Service approves! A litttle Hinterland Who's Who? hehthumbsup


Hahahaha heh

Fantastic, Dubtek! thumbsup

You win this month's sample identifier prize thumbsup

Btw, was this Loon Garden an E-mu factory disk, or 3rd party? I don't see it in the factory list

What great sound those '90s records had...
Old 3rd February 2011
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

It was on a factory floppy disk!
Old 3rd February 2011
  #15
whilst you're at it you can bring back the peter gabriel flute sample

Old 3rd February 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Like Dubtek suggests, I just had to say that, yes, the bird is born with the preset So any CD with bird calls will do!
Old 3rd February 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretch View Post
It was on a factory floppy disk!
A factory floppy disk as in a factory E-mu disk with the original light blue Emulator II logo on it, or something different?

I find it a bit strange that E-mu would swipe a sample from a 1960s/70s nature documentary and stick it in their factory library, when I believe they sampled their sounds themselves in Santa Cruz, but I guess everything's possible.

Also, by checking the factory E-mu diskette list at the E-mu archives, this Loon Garden disk doesn't show.

I should be receiving the complete E-mu and OMI libraries in a few days, so I'll check it for myself, I guess.
Old 3rd February 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
A factory floppy disk as in a factory E-mu disk with the original light blue Emulator II logo on it, or something different?

I find it a bit strange that E-mu would swipe a sample from a 1960s/70s nature documentary and stick it in their factory library, when I believe they sampled their sounds themselves in Santa Cruz, but I guess everything's possible.

Also, by checking the factory E-mu diskette list at the E-mu archives, this Loon Garden disk doesn't show.

I should be receiving the complete E-mu and OMI libraries in a few days, so I'll check it for myself, I guess.
Cool... please let us know!

Btw, who said that 'E-mu would swipe a sample from a 1960s/70s nature documentary'?
Old 3rd February 2011
  #19
Gear Addict
 
modularjack's Avatar
 

That's just what loons sound like, seriously. There are probably tons of samples like that out there that would do the job.. What is so important about the specific sample? It just sounds like a generic loon call, heard all over lake country in Canada during the summertime.
Old 3rd February 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Cool... please let us know!

Btw, who said that 'E-mu would swipe a sample from a 1960s/70s nature documentary'?
You're right, I don't know... I haven't done any direct comparison with that nature video. It surely sounds like the one in the documentary, but I guess yeah, all loons sound like that - I will compare it once I receive the E-mu libraries and I have a clean standalone sample, and I will let you know what/if what I find
Old 4th February 2011
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
lore's Avatar
i remember hearing it in a classic horror movie , could be Friday the 13th , a scene where they are outside near a barn ?...
Old 4th February 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
Was also a preset on the Roland DJ-70 factory sample library.
Old 11th February 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
OK, I now can confirm that this sound is indeed from the Emulator II factory library, but it's not called Loon Garden (perhaps that was a later adaptation by someone else).

It is the library disk #22 "WIND CHIMES / BIRDS / STREAM" by Richard Burmer (R.I.P.), as you can see here.

Patch 02 "Bird Stream" in this disk has a stream on the lower octaves, birds in the middle, and those loons used in the 808 State song in the top octave.

If you guys want it, I can upload the clean sample straight from the EII.
Old 11th February 2011
  #24
Gear Head
 
Kuusooka's Avatar
 

I've definitely heard that sample all over, but I have always associated it with LTJ Bukem's Demon's Theme:

Old 11th February 2011
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
If you guys want it
Why is that even a question? heh
Old 11th February 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Rusty_OHara's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Why is that even a question? heh
^^ This.

I'd like a copy.
Old 11th February 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
If you guys want it,.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Like a rabid dog craving the bone waved before him.
Old 11th February 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
whilst you're at it you can bring back the peter gabriel flute sample

That's on disk #17 "Kalimba / Shakuhachi" and was already brought back by Enigma in Sadeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Why is that even a question? heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
^^ This.

I'd like a copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Like a rabid dog craving the bone waved before him.
LOL - I'll post it tonight in standard wav 44kHz/16bit

Do you guys want just the loon bird sound, or also the other sounds on the disk (the wind chimes, the stream, the other birds etc)?
Old 11th February 2011
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
That's on disk #17 "Kalimba / Shakuhachi" and was already brought back by Enigma in Sadeness







LOL - I'll post it tonight in standard wav 44kHz/16bit

Do you guys want just the loon bird sound, or also the other sounds on the disk (the wind chimes, the stream, the other birds etc)?

dude give us it all man!

make sure the link is permanent.

and don't forget to also post it in the share samples here thread, which is in the stickys
Old 11th February 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
dude give us it all man!
^^^

Ideally thumbsup
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump