The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Herbie Hancock 'Rockit'
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Herbie Hancock 'Rockit'

Just curious, what synths and drum machines were used in this track?
I really dig how the tom fills pitch up and down, such a classic tune...

YouTube - Herbie Hancock - Rockit

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

No idea, but great track!
Old 29th January 2011
Simmons

ground breaking track btw...

Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

I was obsessed with this track when I was younger. I used to wait hours for it to come on the radio so I could record it on my "ghetto blaster."

Old 29th January 2011
Bought the 12in as soon as it came out.

Old 29th January 2011
what a track...
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

Herbie Hancock 'Rockit'

Grand Mixer DST scratching that classic "This stuff is really fresh" sample. Dope... I saw a video of Herbie using a Fairlight from that era. The drums were heavily processed so it's hard to tell from listening.

Paul Hardcastle was similar with "19"..

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 29th January 2011

Herbie Hancock 'Rockit'

The video was equally impressive. I'd like to know what those sounds were too.

Herbie will have marble busts of his likeness alongside of Bach and Mozart in our future conservatories.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Rhodes Chroma for the lead and phasey lines, also used a Fairlight, DMX and 808
You can see his Chroma with a Chroma expander ontop in this vid:

Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

According to the album credits, Herbie used the following setup for Rockit:
Fairlight CMI, Rodes Chroma, Sennheiser vocoder, clavitar, Dr. Click rhythm controller, E-mu 4060 digital keyboard/seuqencer, Oberheim DMX, synare, and Minimoog.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
According to the album credits, Herbie used the following setup for Rockit:
Fairlight CMI, Rodes Chroma, Sennheiser vocoder, clavitar, Dr. Click rhythm controller, E-mu 4060 digital keyboard/seuqencer, Oberheim DMX, synare, and Minimoog.
Do you guys think he used the Chroma for the main riff sound? It has that "analog yet digital" character, what great sound.

I loved this song when it came out...

-
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

LOL... did you read what i wrote already? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Do you guys think he used the Chroma for the main riff sound? It has that "analog yet digital" character, what great sound.

I loved this song when it came out...

-
Old 30th January 2011
Gear Head

80's Nerdery

Don't know for sure but for my ears...

Kick sounds like Simmons mixed with DMX kick. Toms definitely Simmons. Snare sounds like DMX. Tamb is not off the DMX, probably the Fairlight as a low bit sample - maybe they printed a shaker pitched and hard filtered? Now totally sure of this sound. Great weird metallic tamb. Hand Percussion, who knows, not DMX, sounds like samples but not anything factory? Probably Fairlight? Also Toms might have been sampled from simmons and pitchbended on Fairlight. The Synare is doing that weird noise percussion. I think that big kick/low tom sound at the top before the main DMX pattern is also off a Simmons. I'd guess he started with DMX beat, and added on top of that.

Bass sounds like Minimoog, pretty filtered with a notch of res for a bite. Bill could pull that off on elec bass tho - he is the king of that weird funk and tight 16th note ****. Lead synth is def a Chroma, hard panned with slap - good luck ripping that exact sound off - 8 voice synth. That guitar hit sounds like Fairlight sample or something off a tape loop. Lots of gated verb on everything. Scratching is super prehistoric, but classic.

Maybe Laswell will chime in?
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
LOL... did you read what i wrote already? !
LOL, no, completely bypassed it, sorry!

Great - now I either need to get a Chroma, or find a way to emulate it for my sample project.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Drums are the Oberheim, including the toms.

There´s a synthesizer click doing 16th´s also.

What you think is Simmons is actually scratching going on with the toms.

Congas could be the CMI.

WT
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Amazing live setup :

YouTube - Herbie Hancock - Rockit 1985

WT
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hah no worries
Just an idea why dont you ask people to contribute samples for your cd for the synths you dont have- for example i have a Chroma and some decent converters, i could sample some stuff from it for you, octaves etc.
You dont NEED to buy all the synths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
LOL, no, completely bypassed it, sorry!

Great - now I either need to get a Chroma, or find a way to emulate it for my sample project.
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Hah no worries
Just an idea why dont you ask people to contribute samples for your cd for the synths you dont have- for example i have a Chroma and some decent converters, i could sample some stuff from it for you, octaves etc.
You dont NEED to buy all the synths!
Thanks! I might take you up on that one heh

Btw, here's a rendition of Rockit by a kid. I thought it was cute

Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

The other synths/keys used on Future Shock includes the following:
Memorymoog
Yamaha GS-1
Clavinet
Yamaha CE-20
Emulator
AlphaSyntauri
SCI Pro-One
SCI Prophet 5
and
an acoustic piano
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Supposedly the book Future Shock by Alvin Toffler, what the album name references, is also where the word techno came from and was used to describe the new form of electronic music that was emerging at the time.
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Head

It has always been my understanding that Laswell brought an essentially completed rhythm track to Herbie Hancock for keyboard overdubs. The album lists other performers and pieces of gear on Rockit:

Michael Beinhorn: DMX, synare, Mini-Moog programming
Grand Mixer D.S.T.: turntables
Daniel Ponce: bata

--
Innerviews: Bill Laswell - Extending energy and experimentation

Herbie Hancock’s Future Shock. [producer/bassist, 1983, Columbia]
I met a guy called Tony Myland at the Roxy when [Afrika] Bambaataa and everyone used to dominate that scene. It was 1982. He said he was trying to get tracks together for Herbie and I said we could do something. I asked Bambaataa "Who's a good DJ? I want to make a track with a DJ playing in time." He recommended Whiz Kid and DST. Whiz Kid was out of town, so I went with DST and we put together some beats in a couple of hours. Then we flew to LA. and made two tracks. One was called "Earthbeat" and one was called "Rockit." Herbie played on it five minutes. We mixed it, came back to New York and all of sudden there was a big interest. It spiraled from there. We’d made this freak hit record. But it was just an experiment based on the information we were getting from DJs at the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search