The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Would You Choose? (AX-80, JX-10, JX-8P, JX-3P)
Old 21st December 2013 | Show parent
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➡️
Well I've looked inside my synth and at the actual schematics and it is 8253 digital counter based DCOs (like the Junos)...
Another hint would also be that there's not "autotune" function on the Ax80 (which is there on both the Ax60 and Ax73)
Old 21st December 2013
Deleted User
that's a good article by Gordon Reid on the Akai.....
Old 2nd September 2016
Here for the gear

Just a note to mention....The JX3P, although it sounds great, is not velocity sensitive, which limits its expressiveness. You have to step up to the JX8P before you get velocity sensitivity.
Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➡️
(3P/AX80) who's outputs are a bit more raw and in your face (cut through a mix better than 8/10)...

AX80 = most interesting if you want it's sonic quirks and more unique/under-used sounds
8/10 = best pads, best overall features and more of an all rounder that does some things great (strings) other things only 'OK' (bass, leads)
3P = combo of above in sound, not as raw as ax
I had to replace a broken key on my AX80 the other day, and so while I had it opened up I decided to play around with the analog board a bit.

I fully agree that one of the big strengths of the AX80 is it's raw in your face kinda sound. I found that this was pretty much entirely due to the final amplification stage. Changing the TL082 to anything else killed the mojo. I was surprised how big a difference it made. Seems like these overdrive nicely.
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old thread! Just wanna say I still got my AX80. And I dig the JX8P the more I go back to it.
Old 2nd September 2016
Deleted User
I have a JX-3P and 8P. Not used right now, but standing by!
Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would go deeper in my research and choose some deep minded, or something digital perhaps.
Old 27th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty ➡️
JX 8P is 50% of the JX 10 and probably 90% easier technically.

If you just want to make a few sounds, play and record, JX-8. If you like to fiddle around and get more, JX 10.

Either way, boring as crap without PG800. For me, it's a must.
Not true,

Well known in 2017, after many people were convinced that a JX10 or MKS70 was 2 JX8P'S, that you could file that statement with "ACB Technology!" in Roland's carnival barker marketing file.

The sound of the JX10 is distinctively more digital and cold, things sound scooped in the mids, and un-musically hyped elsewhere.

Less detailed mids in general and a different chorus altogether, a chorus that might as well be digital if it isn't already

The JX8P is no world beater, but can still hang in modern electronic music is you know what you are doing,

The JX10 is only really cool if you are in Journey, Damn Yankees or are in a KISS tribute band that ONLY plays songs off the Crazy Nights record.......might be good for some Whitesnake too....so if you happen to be the guy from that band: Have at 'er!

I guess the JX10 is official Hair Metal synth!

...but sadly, it cannot give you a decent sound to play "jump" with. Which is a bit of a cowboyboot to the sock stuffed groin.
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just to have to say to all of the people in here saying the JX-8P is largely a pads only machine
are sadly mistaken.

I've owned mine since the mid-1990s. I have the PG-800 controller. That's a must for one of these. Anyway, I make house, techno, progressive house, etc. and honestly it gets the most use out of my entire synths arsenal. I know it inside and out and that thing can be a bass and lead monster - especially when you put it into unison mode. The bass it can make will rattle rooms. I own a JX-3P too and it's not that great for bass.

I walk away from my 8P sometimes to discover other things in my studio and always come back and fall in love all again. It's a very happy marriage and she can do everything from big bottom basses, sweeping pads and fa rastic leads. The only drawback is the filter is kind of weak and not self-resonant. But hey, everyone has a weakness or two!
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got a minty JX8P.Lovely synth but for some reason i want to sell it.I cant be bothered to programme it (sad i know) and its so big.And since ive owned 3 JX3P s in the past i think ive done the sound already (i know Im deluding myself) Theres a 5 quid app for the Ipad that you can edit the whole synth with “ ]

Just ordered a Yamaha EX5R.......
Old 19th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The JX-8P has a really good bass sound from what I remember
when I had one.

I also had a CS-40m with the 2 sub sines and that synth
was a SUBWOOFER killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopdokter ➡️
I just to have to say to all of the people in here saying the JX-8P is largely a pads only machine
are sadly mistaken.

I've owned mine since the mid-1990s. I have the PG-800 controller. That's a must for one of these. Anyway, I make house, techno, progressive house, etc. and honestly it gets the most use out of my entire synths arsenal. I know it inside and out and that thing can be a bass and lead monster - especially when you put it into unison mode. The bass it can make will rattle rooms. I own a JX-3P too and it's not that great for bass.

I walk away from my 8P sometimes to discover other things in my studio and always come back and fall in love all again. It's a very happy marriage and she can do everything from big bottom basses, sweeping pads and fa rastic leads. The only drawback is the filter is kind of weak and not self-resonant. But hey, everyone has a weakness or two!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will MKS-30 add something to my current setup ?
I own a MKS-50, MKS-7, D-550, Prophet Rev2 and a Virus TI.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios ➡️
Yes, if the price is fair I'd take it.

Pay attention: same juno106 issue
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I prefer the sound of the JX3P and find that the differences with the MKS30 are pretty pronounced. I'm a module guy myself but found in this specific case the MKS30 was too much of a compromise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke wave ➡️
Yes, if the price is fair I'd take it.

Pay attention: same juno106 issue
thanks. yeah I am aware of the Juno chip issue, its the same with my MKS-7.
Don't you think there is too much overlap between the MKS-7 and MKS-30?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
Not true,

Well known in 2017, after many people were convinced that a JX10 or MKS70 was 2 JX8P'S, that you could file that statement with "ACB Technology!" in Roland's carnival barker marketing file.

The sound of the JX10 is distinctively more digital and cold, things sound scooped in the mids, and un-musically hyped elsewhere.

Less detailed mids in general and a different chorus altogether, a chorus that might as well be digital if it isn't already
Please show the facts to back this statement up.

The jx10/mks have double the amount of voices, which means more volume too handle for the synth. That may have been the reason that the vca's have been changed. (Roland changed chips during the lifespan of many synths, within the same model.)

I attached the part of the servicemanual where the chorus is documented from the mks70 and jx8p, so you can see that they use the same chips and and admit that you're wrong here.
Attached Thumbnails
What Would You Choose? (AX-80, JX-10, JX-8P, JX-3P)-mks70-jx8p-chorus.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
MKS-30 has two oscillators per voice (but no sub osc) - that will be your biggest difference, since the rest is very much the same - same single envelope, same filter and amp, same chorus.

But maybe look at it the other way - you will have another compact synth that adds 6 voices of analog polyphony to your setup. And more voices = more freedom.
Gear Nut

Quote:

No, to me they are so different, opposite characters, the mks7 is softer, smoother the jx3p/mks30 is more aggressive, metallic, straight, rude, of course you can get great dco pads, soft sounds too closing the filter but in a "different way"

the jx3p is unique, more on the ax80 side (this one is better) they are little devils.

The rev2 is great but sounds modern, clean, hifi, no vintage vibe like the jx3p and the tone is very different

I have jx3p, 106, AJ, d05, rev2, I think there's more overlap between the mks50 and mks7

And don't forget what locust_tree wrote

As I said if the price is good, grab it, If you don't like or don't need anymore you can sell it without regretting

hope my english is fine
📝 Reply