The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet VS, Jupiter 8, Oberheim FVS, TR808 Analogue Orgie.
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Prophet VS, Jupiter 8, Oberheim FVS, TR808 Analogue Orgie.

Just wanted to share my latest synth video with you guys, but there is only one problem.. You don't actually see the synths in the video.. Either way, I tried to make up with that with more time spent on this video than the previous ones.

Ambient Analogue 001 on Vimeo

Sequential Circuits Prophet VS: From 0:05 - 4:19

Roland Jupiter 8: @ 1:55, 2:21, 2:45, 2:51,

Sequential Circuits Pro One: From 4:20 - 4:48

Oberheim FVS (Four Voice): From 4:49 - 6:26 and 7:57 - 8:32

Roland TR-808: At 4:53-END

Moog Voyager: From 6:28 - 7:56 and 8:32 - 11:09

Sequencing done with Logic Pro and StepPolyArp for iPad. Mixed in Pro Tools 9. Filtering of drums and select synths with the Oberheim Four Voice stereo inputs.

I hope you enjoy it!

-M
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Maniac

really nice stuff man! it doesn't hurt to see my hood in the video either! heh
Old 15th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Yeah, Chicago is one awesome city.

Gear Maniac

That oberheim FVS sounds ****ing tough!!! What/how much processing did you use???

Very nice
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger View Post
Just wanted to share my latest synth video with you guys, but there is only one problem.. You don't actually see the synths in the video.. Either way, I tried to make up with that with more time spent on this video than the previous ones.

Ambient Analogue 001 on Vimeo

Sequential Circuits Prophet VS: From 0:05 - 4:19

Roland Jupiter 8: @ 1:55, 2:21, 2:45, 2:51,

Sequential Circuits Pro One: From 4:20 - 4:48

Oberheim FVS (Four Voice): From 4:49 - 6:26 and 7:57 - 8:32

Roland TR-808: At 4:53-END

Moog Voyager: From 6:28 - 7:56 and 8:32 - 11:09

Sequencing done with Logic Pro and StepPolyArp for iPad. Mixed in Pro Tools 9. Filtering of drums and select synths with the Oberheim Four Voice stereo inputs.

I hope you enjoy it!

-M
Very nice video and soundtrack as well. I can definitely tell you've put a lot of work into that. Keep it up.

BTW, you have a very nice sounding TR808. I just sent you a PM.
Gear Addict

wow. As usual.
Lives for gear

I really like it - both the music and the video, some really lovely sonic and visual textures in there. thumbsup

But i have one niggle (as usual), which is the use of the 808.

My complaint is that it sounds like an 808.

To me that distinctive sound distracts from the music, because i get that feeling that it is there because of its iconic status rather than chosen for its musical qualities.

My point being that you can take a classic synth and shape the sound to your liking, making even the oldest of synths sounding "contemporary" (which the music does to my ears, insofar as ambient can be said to sound contemporary) - whereas with the 808 you are stuck with "the sound of an era" if you get my drift?

I mean, the drums do not sound bad or misplaced at all - it is just the associations that that particular well known set of sounds provokes in me that i am trying to describe here.

But once again, very very nice stuff :-)
Lives for gear

wow that was awesome! The video was amazing quality too
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
wow that was awesome! The video was amazing quality too
indeed!
Lives for gear

Fantastic stuff Metzger !
Great stuff! Awesome job.
Lives for gear

Great work! Very high production values on both visual and audio sides. Sounded huge! Out of curiosity what audio interface are you using for this?
Gear Guru

always a pleasure
Old 16th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
That oberheim FVS sounds ****ing tough!!! What/how much processing did you use???

Very nice
For the FVS, not much at all really.. The only thing that went on that was a Eventide 2016.. No other effects in the mix for the FVS.
Lives for gear

that four voice really does sound pretty awesome. i think it stands out the most in this for sure

and i dont think there's anything wrong with the 808 :P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post

BTW, you have a very nice sounding TR808. I just sent you a PM.

Thanks. I had Kevin Lightner bring it back to spec, then do some mods to it. Kevin is up for taking in TR-808's. The tree mods he did was extended kick, tune pot for kick, and a turbo switch. It works like an accent for the kick only. I think from what he said it speeds the pulse wave timing for the kick to give a super compressed sounding kick.

I need to do a video showing it.

ctrlshft: Everything was recording through a Prism Orpheus. Lower freq instruments went through a Chandler Germanium Pre, and Germanium Tone control, like the Moog, Pro One, TR-808. The Four voice JP8 and Prophet VS was recording non colored direct to the Prism.

grumphh: I totally hear you with the 808, but I really like 808 sound as is. This was the first time I used the 808 since it was a newly acquired piece.. I did mix between 808 dry and 808 filtered being run through 2 oberheim SEM filters. I really do appreciate the critique though. I can definitely see what you mean by that. Thanks!

I wanted to thank everyone for the comments. I read / learn a lot from gearslutz. It's nice to have a community of passionate people that are so into audio and helping others.

Thanks again!

-M
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
that four voice really does sound pretty awesome. i think it stands out the most in this for sure

Yeah, the detuned oscillators in unison panned stereo with the fvs is really magic. It's my favorite part sonically.
Gear Addict

all the synths sound great, i actually loved the prophet vs, refreshing to hear some digital among all the analogs. they all sound fantastic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I had Kevin Lightner bring it back to spec, then do some mods to it. Kevin is up for taking in TR-808's. The tree mods he did was extended kick, tune pot for kick, and a turbo switch. It works like an accent for the kick only. I think from what he said it speeds the pulse wave timing for the kick to give a super compressed sounding kick.

I need to do a video showing it.

ctrlshft: Everything was recording through a Prism Orpheus. Lower freq instruments went through a Chandler Germanium Pre, and Germanium Tone control, like the Moog, Pro One, TR-808. The Four voice JP8 and Prophet VS was recording non colored direct to the Prism.

I wanted to thank everyone for the comments. I read / learn a lot from gearslutz. It's nice to have a community of passionate people that are so into audio and helping others.

Thanks again!

-M
You're welcome.

Yeah, I'd like to have some kick drum modifications done to one my 808s too. I'd like to have the decay on the kick drum extended well as a "tune" control to change the pitch and an adjustable pitch envelope on the kick. I'd also would like to tune the pitch of the two snare oscillators as well. One of my 808s has MIDI capabilities but the one I want modded doesn't. I'd probably want MIDI added to that one as well.

I know this can get really expensive. So as an alternative, I also thought of not altering my 808 and leaving it original, then hunting down someone who could custom build me a separate CV trigger/MIDI controllable 808 kick drum module based on the original Roland circuitry but with the advanced parameters/pots added.

Based on your description, that turbo switch sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to hear what that sounds like.
Lives for gear

that's really a nice feeling video. Sounds flow with the visuals.

Nothing wrong with an 808 sounding like an 808 (if it fits the mood then use it!).

thanks!
szf
Lives for gear

I really like all your vids, inspiring stuff thumbsup
Lives for gear

I really enjoy your videos and this one is no exception. Wonderful images and music - it gets me in the mood. Well done!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
I really like it - both the music and the video, some really lovely sonic and visual textures in there. thumbsup

But i have one niggle (as usual), which is the use of the 808.

My complaint is that it sounds like an 808.

To me that distinctive sound distracts from the music, because i get that feeling that it is there because of its iconic status rather than chosen for its musical qualities.

My point being that you can take a classic synth and shape the sound to your liking, making even the oldest of synths sounding "contemporary" (which the music does to my ears, insofar as ambient can be said to sound contemporary) - whereas with the 808 you are stuck with "the sound of an era" if you get my drift?

I mean, the drums do not sound bad or misplaced at all - it is just the associations that that particular well known set of sounds provokes in me that i am trying to describe here.

But once again, very very nice stuff :-)
Dude, the sound of the 808 is timeless!
Old 17th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
Dude, the sound of the 808 is timeless!
Yes, that is what everybody keeps repeating.

I just think that most of those sounds are "played out". (Very much depending on genre though)

A bit like playing a Jupiter 8 with all the original presets - except that you can't change them on the 808.

But again, i didn't find the 808 obnoxious within the context of this music or anything - i just personally associate use of it as sort of analogue fanboyism.
The way the open hi hat is used to me suggests that some sort of "realistic" sounding sample based drummachine would have been better for the music.
But that is just my personal taste.
Gear Maniac

grumphh: I have to agree PhonoquO. It is a classic sound. I didn't want to nit pick every detail and transform the 808 to something else. I recorded 1 take for 8 minutes of the 808. Each sound wasn't separately tracked. I wanted it to feel a bit draw.

You should check out the song "Complexity" by FrontLine Assembly. That has a very classic sound to it in my own opinion.

Very inspiring.

YouTube - Front Line Assembly - Complexity
nice1

office buildings = fish bowls

front line assembly is awesome too
Lives for gear

Quote:
grumphh: I have to agree PhonoquO. It is a classic sound. I didn't want to nit pick every detail and transform the 808 to something else. I recorded 1 take for 8 minutes of the 808. Each sound wasn't separately tracked. I wanted it to feel a bit draw.

You should check out the song "Complexity" by FrontLine Assembly. That has a very classic sound to it in my own opinion.

Very inspiring.

YouTube - Front Line Assembly - Complexity
First of all, let me make it clear that this is not about criticizing your music at all because i really liked that piece - and in fact prefer its looser structure over the front line assembly track - but simply about my thoughts about the 808 sound in a musical context in general.
Thoughts triggered by your music though.
Basically, discussion for discussions sake - no dissing of the 808 intended.

Classic is imo a better term for the 808 than timeless - because it certainly is an instrument fixed in time due to its basic sound. That synthetic beatbox sound of the late 70's/early 80's. No sampling, just (by todays sampling standards) a crude emulation of real drums.
Don't get me wrong, i realize that that sound works perfectly within quite a number of contexts - which the number of emulations of that sound still being produced to this day clearly shows - but the raw sound of the 808 could probably be labeled an iconic sound.

And imo iconic sounds (as are icons in general) are hard to integrate into something fresh - which is where sound mangling comes into the picture.
Taking that iconic sound, and turning it into something new - which is what so many people have done, distorting it, compressing the hell out of it, layering it or whatever else you can do to sound - and thereby integrating it into their vision of music is what imo has kept the 808 (and for that matter all vintage electronic instruments) fresh.
But an accurate rendition of that iconic sound (as opposed to altering it through effects) makes that sound reference itself more than it makes it part of the music flow - and that was my tiny little niggle.

I seriously don't mean to offend anyone with the above, so please take it for what it is, namely my personal thoughts about selecting iconic sounds when making music.
Old 19th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

grumphh: I never took offense to your comment. I completely appreciate and respect your critique. I also wanted to thank you for posting about it. I really find it interesting to hear what others think. A different perspective is always a good thing.

Thanks!

-M
Lives for gear

Quote:
grumphh: I never took offense to your comment. I completely appreciate and respect your critique. I also wanted to thank you for posting about it. I really find it interesting to hear what others think. A different perspective is always a good thing.

Thanks!

-M
I am glad about that, because it certainly wasn't meant to be offensive.

Just a bit of intellectualizing really - but often on the net this can come across in the wrong way. Thus my disclaimers.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For the FVS, not much at all really.. The only thing that went on that was a Eventide 2016.. No other effects in the mix for the FVS.
Damn, that prolly means im going to have to buy a FVS to get sounds that good.
๐Ÿ“ Reply