The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dave Smith Instruments Tempest
Old 1 week ago
  #4921
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
The envelopes suck for making drum sounds unless you are Jean Luc Ponty. nah they probably would suck even then. I use to challenge folks at dsiforum to make hard hitting kicks that triggered the same (using the analog engines there would always be at least subtle changes in the way the envelopes would respond hit to hit). Even the “advanced programmers” could not swing it. A little high pass filter coupled with resonance on my rytm would make a kick in. 30 secs that it would take a day to make on the tempest and then I’d want to sample it so that it would play the same. It was NOT set up as a drum synth. It is a 6 voice synth with a complicated mod matrix.

Another thing is that Pym was playing whack a mole with bugs. He’d fix one and another would pop up. It was ridiculous.

I’m sure there will be tempest lovers to respond. To them I say- post em up. Post up 100% analog beats - that thump and smack in a way one would expect a roger Linn device to.
I think their idea was that you’d use samples for basic electronic drums and use the synth engine for exotic percussion stuff (which it is good for) and synth sounds (which it is excellent for).

But what it really needed was multiple synth engines, like the RYTM. Keep four voices as is, and add three engines that were specifically tailored for bass, snare and percussion.

Another huge problem for me was how they implemented distortion. All that digital control... but not for the distortion? Silly. You should be able to control it per voice and save it with the patch. Maybe even tailor a different distortion for each engine type.

Anyway, I’m really happy with the RYTM, but I never use it for the interesting synth sounds that the Tempest excelled at. Maybe at one point I’ll pick up an old Evolver to get a bit of that back, though I feel I’m already too DSI centric in my synth choices.
Old 1 week ago
  #4922
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Oh i dont eh.Well I’m sure I’m wrong.Grande statements like mine are obviously a bit extreme.What I’m trying to say is i tried in the shop surrounded by instruments and was shocked at the basic sound of the Tempest.Next to the poly evolver it was night and day.I mean it was just uninspiring.Rather crude sound imo.And basically watched every video of the Tempest on YT and all sucked again imo.Thats why i say it sounds bad.All together,as one main instrument.Used sparingly i think it will be very cool box.I like the Tetr4 ect.Mind you I’m not really into the modern take on analog drum machines.....But i do like percussive type synths.
You giant piinus. You never owned one? Beat it.
Old 1 week ago
  #4923
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Setting a delay on an envelope is just going to open up the VCA late on a sample that was triggered with the NOTE ON. My understanding is that this would not be offsetting the byte that sample playback begins on, it's just turning the volume up a little late.
Can you use one short envelope with random amount to modulate pitch of your noise? This one push before VCA opens should bring you some random offset. In theory, when dealing with white noise, pushing pitch any way should not be audible, but with sampled noise source, you could hear HP-like effect when pushing upwards or LP-like when pushing downwards.
Old 1 week ago
  #4924
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
The envelopes suck for making drum sounds unless you are Jean Luc Ponty. nah they probably would suck even then. I use to challenge folks at dsiforum to make hard hitting kicks that triggered the same (using the analog engines there would always be at least subtle changes in the way the envelopes would respond hit to hit). Even the “advanced programmers” could not swing it. A little high pass filter coupled with resonance on my rytm would make a kick in. 30 secs that it would take a day to make on the tempest and then I’d want to sample it so that it would play the same. It was NOT set up as a drum synth. It is a 6 voice synth with a complicated mod matrix.

Another thing is that Pym was playing whack a mole with bugs. He’d fix one and another would pop up. It was ridiculous.

I’m sure there will be tempest lovers to respond. To them I say- post em up. Post up 100% analog beats - that thump and smack in a way one would expect a roger Linn device to.
Sounds like you 'use' to challenge folks cause you're a challenged folk (Why do Americans say folk?)

Drums made 100% analogue with the tempest
https://soundcloud.com/in_exovision/...analogue-drums

I wrote this EP using 95% analogue sound sources on the Tempest. Kick is filter with some trickery modulating the decay...
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ho...mpathy-test-ep

This I wrote back in 2012 or something. The whole EP is almost entirely the Tempest. Some guitar pedals, a soundcraft mixer, DSI X4 & a Moog Model D only used on "Nebula".
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ho...-molecule-ep-2

Enough with the dumbass trash talking.

Just cause you're too special to use the Tempest doesn't mean it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Wtf are you talking about...doomed? Says who? You? HITS have been made with Tempest- just because you don't what songs they are, doesn't mean they don't exist.
I'm this close to posting something on Soundcloud to shut ALL of you up and make you wish you had one.
Do it man!!! Name to shame the clowns here...
Old 1 week ago
  #4925
Lives for gear
 

Fairwell little Tempest!

Here's my favorite demo I made with it. Pretty crazy what you can crank out of it.

Old 1 week ago
  #4926
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Sounds like you 'use' to challenge folks cause you're a challenged folk (Why do Americans say folk?)

Drums made 100% analogue with the tempest
https://soundcloud.com/in_exovision/...analogue-drums

I wrote this EP using 95% analogue sound sources on the Tempest. Kick is filter with some trickery modulating the decay...
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ho...mpathy-test-ep

.
uhm... sounds pretty run of the mill to me. i dont even make music like that and im pretty sure i could do that

in music like that... all the drums sound the same anyway

you can say what you want... theres a reason (successful) FOLK have gravitated to the other boxes and the tempest is the subject of a RIP thread
Old 1 week ago
  #4927
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
uhm... sounds pretty run of the mill to me. i dont even make music like that and im pretty sure i could do that

in music like that... all the drums sound the same anyway

you can say what you want... theres a reason (successful) FOLK have gravitated to the other boxes and the tempest is the subject of a RIP thread
Run of the mill? Mkay. Successful 'folk' don' have to resort to bandcamp...

You asked for big hitting analogue drums. Thats what they are.

Looks like your ears are painted on too.
Old 1 week ago
  #4928
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
uhm... sounds pretty run of the mill to me. i dont even make music like that and im pretty sure i could do that

in music like that... all the drums sound the same anyway

you can say what you want... theres a reason (successful) FOLK have gravitated to the other boxes and the tempest is the subject of a RIP thread
You'll be eating those words soon
Old 1 week ago
  #4929
Farewell Tempest! Mine has been the center of my live rig and a main part of my studio since 2014 and I don't see it going anywhere ever - unless a v2 came out and tempted me.

Some of the workflow / design crticisms are valid in my opinion, but there's no other other instrument in my studio that both makes me think outside the box when composing and gets used for such a wide variety of sounds.

For a live synth rig, it's killer - a portable 6 voice synth and drum machine with playable pads
Old 1 week ago
  #4930
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Sounds like you 'use' to challenge folks cause you're a challenged folk (Why do Americans say folk?)

Drums made 100% analogue with the tempest
https://soundcloud.com/in_exovision/...analogue-drums

I wrote this EP using 95% analogue sound sources on the Tempest. Kick is filter with some trickery modulating the decay...
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ho...mpathy-test-ep

This I wrote back in 2012 or something. The whole EP is almost entirely the Tempest. Some guitar pedals, a soundcraft mixer, DSI X4 & a Moog Model D only used on "Nebula".
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ho...-molecule-ep-2

Enough with the dumbass trash talking.

Just cause you're too special to use the Tempest doesn't mean it sucks.


Do it man!!! Name to shame the clowns here...
It's coming man. People initially think they can be an ace on Tempest and expect instant gratification, but it's too deep for enthusiasts, lazy narcissists and 'collectors'. It takes time to achieve great things with it and most just don't want to put the time in, and still others, just don't have the talent to do serious work.

Let's be honest- most people on here complaining about what it couldn't or can't do aren't pros and have never been paid for their work, so I understand if they sell it or can't gel with it, because it is complex and it takes a commitment. It took me a long time to make money beats with it, but I knew I would eventually do it.

The reality is, if you can't envision a great composition- you'll never bring it to fruition no matter how technically adept you are or what instrument you use, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and blame it on Tempest- one of best drum machines ever made.

I mean, it has to be the Tempest's fault that you can't make anything good with it, right?

Sad bunch on here.
Old 1 week ago
  #4931
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
Can you use one short envelope with random amount to modulate pitch of your noise? This one push before VCA opens should bring you some random offset. In theory, when dealing with white noise, pushing pitch any way should not be audible, but with sampled noise source, you could hear HP-like effect when pushing upwards or LP-like when pushing downwards.
Most noise samples on the Tempest don't actually accept changes to pitch, which eliminates this option. It's okay, I've been working with this machine for nine years, the absence of one nice-to-have feature I want hasn't gotten in the way of anything at all.

p.s. the guy asking for analog beats that thump like Linn samples is a hoot.

Here's a Tempest beat, 100% analog, + a little comp & verb. It's two measures on loop for 1:45, hope it's not too repetitive.

Recording that track was a definitive moment for me & the ol' Tempest. I suddenly got it.

And here's something a little more punk rock


(looks sharp without the wood, right?)

If you enjoyed those, grab the full length album in lossless here, or stream it if you're like that.
Old 1 week ago
  #4932
Lives for gear
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
Aesthetically, it is among those most beautiful synths out there. I wanted one so badly but couldn't do it. Seems like a challenging piece but some of the most talented folks on here did amazing things with this instrument. Sequel time?
Old 1 week ago
  #4933
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Refix View Post
Farewell Tempest! Mine has been the center of my live rig and a main part of my studio since 2014 and I don't see it going anywhere ever - unless a v2 came out and tempted me.

Some of the workflow / design crticisms are valid in my opinion, but there's no other other instrument in my studio that both makes me think outside the box when composing and gets used for such a wide variety of sounds.

For a live synth rig, it's killer - a portable 6 voice synth and drum machine with playable pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
It's coming man. People initially think they can be an ace on Tempest and expect instant gratification, but it's too deep for enthusiasts, lazy narcissists and 'collectors'. It takes time to achieve great things with it and most just don't want to put the time in, and still others, just don't have the talent to do serious work.

Let's be honest- most people on here complaining about what it couldn't or can't do aren't pros and have never been paid for their work, so I understand if they sell it or can't gel with it, because it is complex and it takes a commitment. It took me a long time to make money beats with it, but I knew I would eventually do it.

The reality is, if you can't envision a great composition- you'll never bring it to fruition no matter how technically adept you are or what instrument you use, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and blame it on Tempest- one of best drum machines ever made.

I mean, it has to be the Tempest's fault that you can't make anything good with it, right?

Sad bunch on here.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Most noise samples on the Tempest don't actually accept changes to pitch, which eliminates this option. It's okay, I've been working with this machine for nine years, the absence of one nice-to-have feature I want hasn't gotten in the way of anything at all.

p.s. the guy asking for analog beats that thump like Linn samples is a hoot.

Here's a Tempest beat, 100% analog, + a little comp & verb. It's two measures on loop for 1:45, hope it's not too repetitive.

Recording that track was a definitive moment for me & the ol' Tempest. I suddenly got it.

And here's something a little more punk rock


(looks sharp without the wood, right?)

If you enjoyed those, grab the full length album in lossless here, or stream it if you're like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Aesthetically, it is among those most beautiful synths out there. I wanted one so badly but couldn't do it. Seems like a challenging piece but some of the most talented folks on here did amazing things with this instrument. Sequel time?
Old 1 week ago
  #4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Run of the mill? Mkay. Successful 'folk' don' have to resort to bandcamp...

You asked for big hitting analogue drums. Thats what they are.

Looks like your ears are painted on too.
eh... i sell vinyl. i dont do any of the major streaming services. i do bandcamp because digital to me is an afterthought.

and besides i make way more than 99% of musicians off my day job

your kick was not bad at all. one of the best i've heard on the tempest. i just happen to make music where the snare and hi hat is just as important as the kick. and they cannot sound like 90% digital noise with an attack click on every track

i would respond to your last line but i'm not smart enough to understand it

i didnt mean to upset you with my initial post. i answered a question that the OP posted. a lot of people seem to agree with me. it doesnt mean you should love it any less.

edit: i'm laughing cause i see the tempest in my [very old] profile pic. at least you know im speaking from experience
Old 1 week ago
  #4935
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
eh... i sell vinyl. i dont do any of the major streaming services. i do bandcamp because digital to me is an afterthought.

and besides i make way more than 99% of musicians off my day job

your kick was not bad at all. one of the best i've heard on the tempest. i just happen to make music where the snare and hi hat is just as important as the kick. and they cannot sound like 90% digital noise with an attack click on every track

i would respond to your last line but i'm not smart enough to understand it

i didnt mean to upset you with my initial post. i answered a question that the OP posted. a lot of people seem to agree with me. it doesnt mean you should love it any less.

edit: i'm laughing cause i see the tempest in my [very old] profile pic. at least you know im speaking from experience
Well you shouldn't make sweeping statements like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
theres a reason (successful) FOLK have gravitated to the other boxes and the tempest is the subject of a RIP thread
Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
The envelopes suck for making drum sounds unless you are Jean Luc Ponty. nah they probably would suck even then. I use to challenge folks at dsiforum to make hard hitting kicks that triggered the same (using the analog engines there would always be at least subtle changes in the way the envelopes would respond hit to hit). Even the “advanced programmers” could not swing it.
Cause it makes you sound stupid.

Oh and you use a lowpass to make a kick not a highpass filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
A little high pass filter coupled with resonance on my rytm would make a kick in. 30 secs that it would take a day to make on the tempest and then I’d want to sample it so that it would play the same.
And don't you want your drums to have variation???
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
A little high pass filter coupled with resonance on my rytm would make a kick in. 30 secs that it would take a day to make on the tempest and then I’d want to sample it so that it would play the same.
>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
in music like that... all the drums sound the same anyway
Old 1 week ago
  #4936
Now now kings, a resonant highpass filter on your kick is going to bump your low frequencies.
Old 1 week ago
  #4937
@ kings

i've seen everybody from thom yorke to lizzo on and singing the praises of the rytm. so i was talking upper echelon folks. stop being so sensitive.

if you dont know about using resonance with a high pass filter on a kick... then i dont know what to tell you...but maybe i'm not so dumb.

and yeah i want variation in my drums... but I want to be in control of it. not some random variations caused by some mod matrixed envelope i have to be a nasa scientist to program
Old 1 week ago
  #4938
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Now now kings, a resonant highpass filter on your kick is going to bump your low frequencies.
Never needed one or thought I needed one.
Old 1 week ago
  #4939
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
@ kings

i've seen everybody from thom yorke to lizzo on and singing the praises of the rytm. so i was talking upper echelon folks. stop being so sensitive.

if you dont know about using resonance with a high pass filter on a kick... then i dont know what to tell you...but maybe i'm not so dumb.

and yeah i want variation in my drums... but I want to be in control of it. not some random variations caused by some mod matrixed envelope i have to be a nasa scientist to program
Like I said above you don't need a highpass. Understanding sound, I've never thought to use one.

Never had the variation it sounds like you seemed to get. Sounds like it was out of control for you.
Old 1 week ago
  #4940
Lives for gear
 

It sounds very good, just not great.

The biggest culprit, the samples were atrocious, everytime i turned on my MP.7 my eyes would roll back in my head as to how bad they were.
I would roll thru the 423 odd samples back and forth, back and forth hoping one would work.
User samples was by far the most requested feature early on and pym was apparently working on it. They even shipped in someone else to help.
"We" tracked down the sample chip, looked at its specs etc. seemed it was possible.
That chip became discontinued and superceeded about 6mths to a year into the Tempests life.
Disappiontingly never happened.

The analog part essentially a P 08.?
lots of mods lots of areas, lots of time to fine tune.. Lots o fun there.

The file handling was really really poor, took years just to get alpha location saving.
Way to little memory.

Amazing interface, great pads, tremedous real time stuff to the extent that NO ONE has remotely tapped that I've seen and way above my skills (think turntablists skills)

Loved the voice allocation/stealing algo, often made it diffucult when assigning voices as you could lose the vibe.

CV ins great when paired with say an A 4 tho tricky to get them to work as planned.

Wont mention the Tempest war, only to thanks John the Savage and mostly Sir Roger Linn for getting the os over the line. yep im calling him sir.

Very good machine hampered by some fudamental flaws..
Old 1 week ago
  #4941
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Never needed one or thought I needed one.
ask a MS20 or an A 4,
Old 1 week ago
  #4942
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
It sounds very good, just not great.

The biggest culprit, the samples were atrocious, everytime i turned on my MP.7 my eyes would roll back in my head as to how bad they were.
I would roll thru the 423 odd samples back and forth, back and forth hoping one would work.
User samples was by far the most requested feature early on and pym was apparently working on it. They even shipped in someone else to help.
"We" tracked down the sample chip, looked at its specs etc. seemed it was possible.
That chip became discontinued and superceeded about 6mths to a year into the Tempests life.
Disappiontingly never happened.

The analog part essentially a P 08.?
lots of mods lots of areas, lots of time to fine tune.. Lots o fun there.

The file handling was really really poor, took years just to get alpha location saving.
Way to little memory.

Amazing interface, great pads, tremedous real time stuff to the extent that NO ONE has remotely tapped that I've seen and way above my skills (think turntablists skills)

Never heard of Basek??? >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8sebJara8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
Loved the voice allocation/stealing algo, often made it diffucult when assigning voices as you could lose the vibe.

CV ins great when paired with say an A 4 tho tricky to get them to work as planned.

Wont mention the Tempest war, only to thanks John the Savage and mostly Sir Roger Linn for getting the os over the line. yep im calling him sir.

Very good machine hampered by some fudamental flaws..
Never had any of these issues and I knew from the beginning you couldn't load your own samples so it was never a ting for me....
Old 1 week ago
  #4943
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
You giant piinus. You never owned one? Beat it.
Post up or shut up.....yourself Dracula.

Love to hear this machine sound great.I was hopeful Roger Linn could himself but was left underwelmed.Any way Until i actually get to indulge my self again With it i will depart this thread.Thanx,its been emotional
Old 1 week ago
  #4944
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Post up or shut up.....yourself Dracula.

Love to hear this machine sound great.I was hopeful Roger Linn could himself but was left underwelmed.Any way Until i actually get to indulge my self again With it i will depart this thread.Thanx,its been emotional
Ciao
Old 1 week ago
  #4945
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Never heard of Basek??? >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8sebJara8



Never had any of these issues and I knew from the beginning you couldn't load your own samples so it was never a ting for me....
well yes clearly you werent around from "the beginning" because then you would know about the constant banter between users and pym about said sample import...

i get it you love it, great, i listen to your tracks, nice one.

ive put in the time on it, i have skills.
i know what the tempest can and cant do.

the factory sample set sounds like poo...

buy a linndrum and play a linndrum sample on the tempest, you'll cry at the difference.
Old 1 week ago
  #4946
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
uhm... sounds pretty run of the mill to me. i dont even make music like that and im pretty sure i could do that

in music like that... all the drums sound the same anyway

you can say what you want... theres a reason (successful) FOLK have gravitated to the other boxes and the tempest is the subject of a RIP thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings View Post
Run of the mill? Mkay. Successful 'folk' don' have to resort to bandcamp...

You asked for big hitting analogue drums. Thats what they are.

Looks like your ears are painted on too.
Meow!

(I didn’t think the example clips were anything special, but to each their own. I’m unsuccessful!)
Old 1 week ago
  #4947
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
It sounds very good, just not great.

The biggest culprit, the samples were atrocious, everytime i turned on my MP.7 my eyes would roll back in my head as to how bad they were.
I would roll thru the 423 odd samples back and forth, back and forth hoping one would work.
User samples was by far the most requested feature early on and pym was apparently working on it. They even shipped in someone else to help.
"We" tracked down the sample chip, looked at its specs etc. seemed it was possible.
That chip became discontinued and superceeded about 6mths to a year into the Tempests life.
Disappiontingly never happened.

The analog part essentially a P 08.?
lots of mods lots of areas, lots of time to fine tune.. Lots o fun there.

The file handling was really really poor, took years just to get alpha location saving.
Way to little memory.

Amazing interface, great pads, tremedous real time stuff to the extent that NO ONE has remotely tapped that I've seen and way above my skills (think turntablists skills)

Loved the voice allocation/stealing algo, often made it diffucult when assigning voices as you could lose the vibe.

CV ins great when paired with say an A 4 tho tricky to get them to work as planned.

Wont mention the Tempest war, only to thanks John the Savage and mostly Sir Roger Linn for getting the os over the line. yep im calling him sir.

Very good machine hampered by some fudamental flaws..
Perfectly put. I know I’m one of the jerks who brought up the RYTM, and I stand by my take on it, but the truth is, if I were a different kind of musician (more of a sequencer-player, less of a keys/guitar guy) I’d own the RYTM and the Tempest. For me the Tempest was perfect for weird, dusty, sleepy pads and leads. Also, quirky percussion that the RYTM can’t really get to. They’d be a great combo.
Old 1 week ago
  #4948
Gear Head
 
kings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
well yes clearly you werent around from "the beginning" because then you would know about the constant banter between users and pym about said sample import...
I was and Pym only came on board much later in the forums. I guess you were' there that early?.. I bought it as soon as it came out knowing full well what it could and could not do. I did not want a machine that I could load my own samples in and it was never intended/advertised as a machine you could import samples into.

You don't buy a car and then go back to the dealer complaining that you can't sit on the roof with a leather jacket and a helmet trying to drive it do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
i get it you love it, great, i listen to your tracks, nice one.

ive put in the time on it, i have skills.
i know what the tempest can and cant do.

the factory sample set sounds like poo...

buy a linndrum and play a linndrum sample on the tempest, you'll cry at the difference.
I don't think any of the samples sound anything like the originals. I read somewhere that they wern't allowed to make direct copies because of copyright.
Anyway, it's whats you do with it. Dig deep, thats how you are supposed to use it. It's a complex machine. I get it you may not have worked out how to use it properly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Meow!

(I didn’t think the example clips were anything special, but to each their own. I’m unsuccessful!)
The soundcloud link? Play it on real speakers. That kick drum rumbles and its made with just the filter and some tricks with decay modulation. The guy who started this asked for samples of drums made exclusively with the analogue elements. That's what I have done along with many other people who gave it the time.

The Spirit Molecule EP was made almost entirely with the Tempest. Have a proper listen. You don't have to like the music but the sounds by the tempest are
Old 4 days ago
  #4949
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
I’d still pick one up out of interest but there all over a grand in UK.
Get one again while you still can. It's so much more than just a drum machine-and it's that in spades.

Even without sample import it's capable of stunning music that all the other drum synths can't do-none of 'em. It's not easy to use, you have to put the effort in, and that is why a lot of people don't gel with it. I agree, the demos (most of them) on youtube are trash, but I have a very good feeling you're gonna be hearing some really good stuff soon...

I'm telling you, if you have talent and patience, it's a goldmine and you won't ever want to lose it. It took me years to realize just how special it is- and that was my own fault not learning it thoroughly being preoccupied with other gear.

If you're serious about your work there isn't a drum-synth out there that does what it does and at the level it does it- hell, even the compressor sounds nice when it's dialed in carefully.

It's a beast, seriously.
Old 4 days ago
  #4950
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Get one again while you still can. It's so much more than just a drum machine-and it's that in spades.

Even without sample import it's capable of stunning music that all the other drum synths can't do-none of 'em. It's not easy to use, you have to put the effort in, and that is why a lot of people don't gel with it. I agree, the demos (most of them) on youtube are trash, but I have a very good feeling you're gonna be hearing some really good stuff soon...

I'm telling you, if you have talent and patience, it's a goldmine and you won't ever want to lose it. It took me years to realize just how special it is- and that was my own fault not learning it thoroughly being preoccupied with other gear.

If you're serious about your work there isn't a drum-synth out there that does what it does and at the level it does it- hell, even the compressor sounds nice when it's dialed in carefully.

It's a beast, seriously.
I’m sure tour correct.In fact i know you are.I like the knarly Dave Smith sound especially for percussive rhythms.Like you say you gotta work at it.Id definately give it a go....
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump