The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Atari Teenage Riot Live Set-up Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5th January 2011
Gear interested

Atari Teenage Riot Live Set-up

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how the digital hardcore band Atari Teenage Riot performs live. I know on stage they use a Akai mpc 2000xl, some kind of DAT recorder, an Atari 2040st for sequencing, Roland sh-101, Roland tr-909 and a mixer... but how do they use all of this to play live? It seems that it would as simple as pressing play on one their tracks and messing with the effects or something while it's playing but then why do they have the tr-909 drum machine on stage, is that machine triggered by the sequencer playing a song?

Any tips or speculations would be much appreciated. I'm new to live set-ups and any kind of electronic instruments like synths, drum machines, samplers, etc. I want to start a music project with a similar set-up so I'm looking for some help and insight.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just search Alec Empire and you're pretty much into the thick of it. Here's a really interesting from the trash audio blog, and is moderately current.

Workspace and Environment: Alec Empire | Trash_Audio

I saw him in a vid, with all these noise makers, sherman and the like, but it sounds like he's getting more into modular, but tours still with the mpc2000 as his main sequencer, which says a lot about that unit.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Whatever is available.

US tour: Vosotk, MPC1K (Kidtronik), Jomox Xbase w/ T-Resonator, old Atari sequencer, DAT, few other gadgets, Electrix MOFX, and rage.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post

I saw him in a vid, with all these noise makers, sherman and the like, but it sounds like he's getting more into modular, but tours still with the mpc2000 as his main sequencer, which says a lot about that unit.
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm more wondering how they play it all live. I know that they use a mpc 2000, but how does it all work when they have all the gear going during their concert? Cause I've seen for the most part that on stage they have an Atari 2040st, Roland Tr-909, MPC 2000xl, a DAT recorder and a mixer.. but how is everything triggered to go at once and what's the purpose of having the dat recorder in a live situation.. that kinda thing ;P sorry for being so vague, but I'm really just learning about these things now
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

are you sure they still use the Atari? (it'd be a 1040ST, by the way. he also used the Atari Falcon030, which is more powerful.) i can't see why he would if he's using the MPC for sequencing. the Atari was a popular computer to use for sequencing as it had MIDI ports built in. i'd guess that the DAT handles pretty much anything that the other gear doesn't. in the live pics i saw from a year or two ago, Nic Endo was using the MPC, a rackmount Akai sampler (s5000?), the SH-101 or Nord Lead, and a few other things. i actually don't remember seeing the 909 either (looks like he's bringing it out again now, but i'm not sure how much it's actually used). when i saw them in '97 i think they were just using a DAT, 909, and a Sequential Six-Trak.

honestly, it's a bit hard to tell how much of it is pre-recorded (i would guess quite a bit):

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search