The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NL2 - Pitch Bend Error - $75.00!!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

NL2 - Pitch Bend Error - $75.00!!!

turned my NL2 on the other day - Pitch Bend Error on boot. google it and the only answer is to replace the bender. i email Clavia and they let me know the replacement is $75.00. ouch.

they also let me know that the current OS (1.06) is $40.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

i don't really use the pitch bender, but it annoys me to know it's not working. should i shell out the cash and replace it? should i upgrade from 1.02 to 1.06?

it's the most modern of my synths and it's the one with issues - wtf!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

can you pull the bender off and try to clean it's contacts or something? that seems like a pretty low-tech thing to have to replace because it "goes bad"

Not that I know how the pitchbender on a Nord Lead works but if you're going to have to open it anyway, it can't hurt to look, right?
Old 3rd January 2011
I agree with KrisM. See what you can do to repair it yourself or have a tech look at it. As for it going bad, I ahve had my ND2 since '97 with no issues so far, been nothing but a workhorse. To me, it would be totally worth it to repair and it would help it retain some value if you ever decide to sell. As far as the upgrade, find out what the differences are in the upgrade and decide if you need it. I am still running on 1.04. I did not know Version 1.06 is an EEPROM chip replacement upgrade, which accounts for the cost.
Old 3rd January 2011
I was Just looking at the OS yesterday.... I have 1.06 in mine.

I'd try to double check the pitch bender

It should be a potentiometer with a spring to auto center.. I'd check the pot and reseat the connector before getting too excited
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
I'd try to double check the pitch bender..It should be a potentiometer with a spring to auto center..
Not quite, this is the pitch bend from my Nord Wave:

Not really something that cleaning would help with. You might want to check the soldering on the bottom of the shaft.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Not quite, this is the pitch bend from my Nord Wave:

Not really something that cleaning would help with. You might want to check the soldering on the bottom of the shaft.
Holly craptastic's batman! thats slick as hell!!

A first for me to see what looks like a couple strain gauges being used for a pitch bend! Thats a very slick idea and outside the box of normal practices...

I actually tried to find a picture of it first, but didn't look too hard.

Strain gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can see why the cost is $75, they should almost never fail.

Most likely one of the gauges has given up the ghost and has a open, hence the error. US a DMM and check for resistance on the 3 wires.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

the bender is a piece of metal with several layers of conductive material that changes resistance depending on amount of pressure applied. what is odd, it threw up that error after i hit some keys while holding the shift button by mistake. it's as if i changed a setting and it broke

i haven't been able to find a firmware details sheet anywhere. i have no idea what 1.06 buys me over keeping my 1.02.
Old 3rd January 2011
Nord Keyboards
from
electro-music.com :: View topic - Confused about OS version (NordLead2)

I'd probably just pay out the $75 on the pitch bender. I'm sure you tried to turn it off and then back on.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
I can see why the cost is $75, they should almost never fail.
they are the most common Nord failure. i'll dig around a bit with it before i drop the money. i just spent a ton on some stuff and the $75.00 is an insult at this point. i could see if the Juno 106 had a problem, or even the Matrix 6, but something this modern, ugh. wait, 1997 was 14 years ago.
Old 1st February 2011
Here for the gear

Same here!
My Nord stage has PSTICK pitch stick problem - only when using a sound with the PSTICK enabled.
Before the actual pitch stick is used or touched, the sound is in tune, but then if the pitch stick is used, the sound goes slightly flat out of tune and stays flat unless PSTICK is disabled.

Only way to fix this is replace the
pitch stick sensor - a strain gauge.

Clavia's UK service company told me to buy the whole assembly when just needed the strain gauge for £50.62 £5 PP + VAT!!!
& said...
"Unfortunately we can’t supply you with the sensor because that is not available as a spare part from the manufacturer."
Nice! so in the meantime I'll try DIY with a couple o strain gauges from RS components for a fiver each, might even buy a few and get more than +/-2 semitones out of it!!!
Possible RS parts are -
RS 632-168; N11MA512011
RS632-180; N11MA512023

Last edited by Fixitqwik; 1st February 2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Corrected part no.
Old 7th March 2011
Here for the gear

Any luck DIYing this fix?

Fixitqwik, any luck with using RS components?

I also have a Pitch Bend Error on my Nord Lead 2. This is the third time I've dealt with a pitch bend error on this model synth. Bought it originally in '99. Had pitch bend error replaced under warranty, took 3 months to get it back. Had pitch bend go again a couple years later out of warranty. Cost $150, Took 3 months, eventually Sam Ash just gave me a floor model instead of a repaired Nord.

Lo and behold it has happened again. A cheap fix and ideas to DIY this repair would be sweet.

As annoying as this is, the Nord pitch bend has the coolest feel of any synth I've played.
Old 1st February 2013
Here for the gear

Mine was having this error... I just took offthe hood and took a metal brush to the contacts on the metal bendy thing, works like new. They were pretty corroded.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
the bender is a piece of metal with several layers of conductive material that changes resistance depending on amount of pressure applied. what is odd, it threw up that error after i hit some keys while holding the shift button by mistake. it's as if i changed a setting and it broke

i haven't been able to find a firmware details sheet anywhere. i have no idea what 1.06 buys me over keeping my 1.02.
Here is what I would try first.

Bend the bender half way to one side. Switch power on and play some notes.
If you still see the error, bend the bender half way to the other side, switch on power and play some notes.
If you still get an error, I don't know. If error goes away, switch off and on the unit with pitch bender in the middle and play some notes.

Here is why, I wonder if the pitch bender shows out of range calibration when switched on because last time it got calibrated it was set to one extreme. With this in mind, you bender most likely is corroded and reports data out of the normal range, but maybe still useful once you bring it in and use more often.

Good luck
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
they are the most common Nord failure. i'll dig around a bit with it before i drop the money. i just spent a ton on some stuff and the $75.00 is an insult at this point. i could see if the Juno 106 had a problem, or even the Matrix 6, but something this modern, ugh. wait, 1997 was 14 years ago.
cant you just unplug the bender?
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my G2 is having this issue. Cost of new bender is now $104, with $8 shipping!
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut

I have the same problem. Where do I buy the replacement part?
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Presumably you would contact Nord directly through their website.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search