The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best synth for PWM? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th January 2011
  #31
How could I forget!

Sequential Circuits PRO 1 has PMW on both Oscillators,,,

Awesome!!!!!!!

but there not cheap now!!!
Old 4th January 2011
  #32
best PWM is quite loose as a question. we all assume that best is best sounding when you modulate with LFO. as has been said some synths have a wider modulatable width range than others. bmasters mentioned the ms10. i've been thinking about modding my MS20 to give PWM. there is a point on the board for this, its a very easy mod. but just tweaking the PW manually on the ms20, i'm not blown away by the sound of it.

as has been mentioned the pro1 has a wide range of PW, what's also good about the Pro1 is that you have the modulation matrix to affect that, not just the use of LFO. the Pro5 is better still because it allows you to route noise to the PW, which is extremely useful in synthesis. the roland system100 has a superb sounding PWM and you can generate some very nice transients when using the ADSR to modulate this. and lets not forget the creamy wonderment of the big daddy jupiter which has PWM in spades and in stereo really thick magical sound in unison.
Old 4th January 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
and lets not forget the creamy wonderment of the big daddy jupiter which has PWM in spades and in stereo really thick magical sound in unison.
I somehow contribute this to the sinus in the LFO section. It just gives a different feel than a triangle. I also like the Korg Lambda for PWM, also sinus modulated.
Old 4th January 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
best PWM and lets not forget the creamy wonderment of the big daddy jupiter which has PWM in spades and in stereo really thick magical sound in unison.
i was going to chime in with my standard post of: 'my jp8k does this well, maybe a jup8 does it well too'
Old 4th January 2011
  #35
Gear Nut
 
wild modulation's Avatar
 

Rhodes Chroma cause it can do it on the saw wave!

kaaboom!heh
Old 4th January 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild modulation View Post
Rhodes Chroma cause it can do it on the saw wave!

kaaboom!heh
So can the alpha junos. Their particular PWM makes me 'wanna kiss myself!' heh
Old 4th January 2011
  #37
Gear Addict
 
beaumont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans View Post
So can the alpha junos. Their particular PWM makes me 'wanna kiss myself!' heh
Yeah for some reason i wanna cross the Hoover Dam.
Old 4th January 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Its funny how so many synths are suggested, but noone yet said which synth comes closest to the clip I posted above. Is this because people just don't want to say, or is it really that hard to tell (wouldn't be surprised, that PWM sound is unlike anything I heard)?

Appreciate the suggestions, either way.
Old 4th January 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
relis's Avatar
 

+1 for Polysix
Old 4th January 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
the Pro5 is better still because it allows you to route noise to the PW, which is extremely useful in synthesis.
Yes I know, I can do this on my Pro8. Not sure if it sounds exactly like a Pro5 (never had one), but it sounds really good.

The clip I posted though, has a very unique PWM sound, almost sounds like hard-sync in the beginning...Sounds better than any PWM I ever heard, IMO...

Is it really that impossible to listen to a clip and after having years of experience with the synths mentioned, suggest which one has this PWM characteristic? Why isn't anyone answering???
Old 4th January 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
Is it really that impossible to listen to a clip and after having years of experience with the synths mentioned, suggest which one has this PWM characteristic? Why isn't anyone answering???
i have no idea which synth it is, have you tried emailing the author?
Old 4th January 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
i have no idea which synth it is
Thanks for being honest! At least one willing to admit...

Quote:
have you tried emailing the author?
Yes, his reply was "It was a long time ago...I'll have to dig up my old HD". I even sent him the file in a PM hoping to get a response, but no reply.

O well, I guess he's cagey when it comes to saying what synth he used...
Old 4th January 2011
  #43
best agressive, biting PWM i've heard is OB-Xa and MKS-80 Rev4.

for sweet, liquid PWM: late 70s early 80s Rolands: System 100 - 101, Sh-2, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8 - pwm is one of its trademark sounds. and Oberheims from the same period: incredibly rich/thick Oberheim SEM (and its offsprings) and OB-X, a true PWM pad monster.

mid70s ARPs as well.. oddy, axxe, pro soloist..
Old 4th January 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
best agressive, biting PWM i've heard is OB-Xa and MKS-80 Rev4.

for sweet, liquid PWM: late 70s early 80s Rolands: System 100 - 101, Sh-2, Jupiter 4, Jupiter 8 - pwm is one of its trademark sounds. and Oberheims from the same period: incredibly rich/thick Oberheim SEM (and its offsprings) and OB-X, a true PWM pad monster.

mid70s ARPs as well.. oddy, axxe, pro soloist..
So you obviously had a lot of experience with synths, clusterchord.

Which one of the synths you mentioned, you think has a PWM sound thats closest to the clip I posted?

Thanks.
Old 5th January 2011
  #45
well i used all of them, except pro soloist.. but it's all over 70s albums by my fav band.. Genesis, so the sound kinda stuck in my head.. heh



btw it says "this track is currently unavailable" on your link ?.. wanted to give it a listen..


EDIT: ok itas avail again... the PWM sounds a bit unorthodox in the example, but most of the "phasing" and bigness, that you like i presume, comes from detuned oscillators, perhaps even unison of several, and the resulting interference. and it sounds like a digital synth to me..
Old 5th January 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
btw it says "this track is currently unavailable" on your link ?.. wanted to give it a listen..
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Old 5th January 2011
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Demokid's Avatar
 

The Korg PS500 MicroPreset has a fantastic sounding PWM which is perfect for synth-leads.



Regards
Demokid
Old 5th January 2011
  #48
Gear Addict
 
modularjack's Avatar
 

All the Junos PWM sounds pretty good and the 60/106 variety are damn cheap for vintage analogs. Besides pads, when you crank the LFO rate you get an awesome detuney trance lead... sounds a million times better than all those lame thuperthawz coming out of some VA.
Old 5th January 2011
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Second the MKS80/Jupiter 6
Old 5th January 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
EDIT: ok itas avail again... the PWM sounds a bit unorthodox in the example, but most of the "phasing" and bigness, that you like i presume, comes from detuned oscillators, perhaps even unison of several, and the resulting interference. and it sounds like a digital synth to me..
Thanks!

Wow, I wouldn't think for a second that this sounds digital...

Yes, The PWM in this clip sounds like there is a bit of hard-sync in there right in the beginning...like a quick AD envlope. After the first 2 seconds or so, it sounds normal. Thats my guess.
Old 5th January 2011
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularjack View Post
All the Junos PWM sounds pretty good and the 60/106 variety are damn cheap for vintage analogs. Besides pads, when you crank the LFO rate you get an awesome detuney trance lead... sounds a million times better than all those lame thuperthawz coming out of some VA.

both are digital OSC but i 100% agree, the Juno 106 PWM + Chorus is like THE STAPLE of PWM's. The other staple is the OBX-a. You can't go wrong with either of those
Old 6th January 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
esaias's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
DarkPlasma,

Sadly the MS10 is a one VCO mono synth so not going to be an option for PAD duties. They probably sell for £500 upwards.

Juno60s are great for the PWM pad stuff tho.
huh. You can always buy 3 or 4 MS-10's and play a chord out of them ;P (this is gearslutz you know )

anyways, PWM on the MS-10 is the best.

(this post was typed while my other hand was playing the MS-10)

-Tomi
Old 19th September 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Hazmatic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
the Pro5 is better still because it allows you to route noise to the PW, which is extremely useful in synthesis.
Definitely.

Personally, I'm quite fond of Juno's with regards to PWM.
Old 19th September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
the junos/jupiters obviously are obviously pretty legendary for this

the pwm on the prophet 5 really is pretty magical too. i sorta wonder how pwm compares on the mks-80rev4 vs obxa vs prophet 5...I have never done a direct comparison between my mks80 and p5...but they're all CEM based...so you'd think it'd be similar. the multiple wave form LFO and noise routing on the prophet 5 definitely gives it some additional options though.
Old 19th September 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
My favorite PWM comes from the Livewire AFG Eurorack module.



For polyphonic pad duties, I like modulating the waveforms of Waldorf synths like the MWXT.

Not too sure about analog polysynth PWM, since I haven't played around with many. I liked the A6's waveform modulation capabilities when I played it.
this sounds cool.
but what kind of waveforms are used?
Old 12th October 2011
  #56
Lives for gear
 
BTByrd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
this sounds cool.
but what kind of waveforms are used?
It's animated saws for the first half of the vid; animated pulses come in @ 5:20.
Old 13th October 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Mefistophelees's Avatar
CS-01

<ducks>
Old 13th October 2011
  #58
PWM for pads - prob Oberheim OB series

dunno for monos
Old 13th October 2011
  #59
Lives for gear
 
payt's Avatar
 

I like the PWM on my NordRack 2, and also on the Juno60 and P08.
Old 13th October 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Any of the Rolands. Seems like they hi pass the PWM to make it sound nicer
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ecolleno / So much gear, so little time
19
John_Seward / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
11
fweqy / High end
3
stalker / Geekslutz forum
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump