The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape plugins on EDM productions? Saturation Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Tape plugins on EDM productions?

Just curious to know how common it is in EDM to use Tape plugins. I hear lots of people in GS raving about the UAD Struder A800, but I don't know whether it is just used for rock/pop or also for EDM. Any views on this?
Old 3rd January 2011
adl
Gear Addict

Well the PSP Vintage Warmer Plugin is nice and emulates Tape compression. I do Techhouse and use it a pretty much but the UAD Studer is really great to get the in-the-box-production a bit more warmth/fatness and a more professional sound.

Here´s a short democlip where i used ONLY the UAD Studer (no further EQ/compression plugin). I placed the Studer on all tracks and switched them on/off. When the Studers where off i had to compensate the volume so the clip has overall equal loudness, but the Studer parts sound much better imho:

Download Studer Test Techhouse.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way ~8mb WAV file
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I do like McDSP Analog Channel.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

If your track is lacking something that one of those plugs will add- use it!
PSP VintageWarmer is quite nice on the bus, though I like the sound of the URS Saturation on individual tracks more. I would love to try the Studer and see for myself if it can live up to the hype, but I unfortunately, I am not using ProTools because of the still poor MIDI- capabilities.
Please take this advice with a grain of salt, I am coming from a rock background and i like my sounds to be as organic as possible, even if doing techno.

All the best!
Old 3rd January 2011
very common, i've seen supposed "masterclass" videos of famous producers who slap things like vintage warmer on every channel.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd say it's pretty common.

Other alternatives:

DUY Tape
Massey Tape Head Medium
Airwindows Ferrox
Reaktor Ensembles

Personally, I often like to add audio recordings of tape hiss into my productions too.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks so much to all for your responses, very helpful.

Indeed I also tend to use a slight touch of plugins like Decapitator (before I used DUY Tape) to add some warmth and I think they help quite a lot. What I find shocking is when I listen to some of the top tracks at Beatport, IMHO plenty of them sound everything but warm... so I was assuming they didn't use tape/saturation plugins... that's mainly the reason I was wondering whether they were common or not in EDM
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomen View Post
What I find shocking is when I listen to some of the top tracks at Beatport, IMHO plenty of them sound everything but warm... so I was assuming they didn't use tape/saturation plugins... that's mainly the reason I was wondering whether they were common or not in EDM
I don't think that the top tracks at Beatport can be taken as being representative of EDM as a whole.
Beatport top tracks for the most part tend to be the very cheesiest pop end of the house music spectrum... so it's kind of like taking Justin Bieber to represent all rock music
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I don't think that the top tracks at Beatport can be taken as being representative of EDM as a whole.
Beatport top tracks for the most part tend to be the very cheesiest pop end of the house music spectrum... so it's kind of like taking Justin Bieber to represent all rock music
That is a very fair point indeed!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Revox machines are very cheap and sound great.......
Just a thought..
Old 3rd January 2011
Massey Tape Head on drums and ColorTone (and lately Nebula) on 2bus duties here. Yes it makes a big difference.

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

this is why i keep tape machines around still. Favorate setting seems to be 7.5ips.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

saturation as an effect is pretty ubiquitous in all modern recordings, regardless of style.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Tape plugins on EDM productions?

Loving the tape saturation on Harrison mixbus here...perfect for taming highs while mixing / mastering!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

a guy on youtube that demo's every synth known to man has said he will send vintage synth's audio onto VHS tape and back. Makes it sound very period. i might have to bust out the VCR for S&G's
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
a guy on youtube that demo's every synth known to man has said he will send vintage synth's audio onto VHS tape and back. Makes it sound very period. i might have to bust out the VCR for S&G's
Lots of discussion of this on the forum... have a good read before you spend too much time messing around as there are quite a few drawbacks to this technique, and it's very different from recording to regular reel to reel.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

why not simply go ahead and EQ it to be tape like? kill the lowest stuff, bump up the lows, slope off the highs
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
why not simply go ahead and EQ it to be tape like? kill the lowest stuff, bump up the lows, slope off the highs
I don't think it's solely the spectral balance... other things such as saturation, wow & flutter, noise etc can also be desirable depending on the application.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

ah yes, that too

the thing that always puzzled me about the desire for tape sound or emulation is that it is a perversion of the original sound. I used to work with tape and hated the fact that tape was imperfect and "wrecked" my sound. I'm so happy in digital that I get coming out, what went in. So, I start with sculpting the original sound to be like I want. That is what I want coming back, not for differing levels of a distorted/altered recording.

I understand people "like" the sound, but have they ever heard the alternative when mixed correctly? It's really quite nice.
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Nut
Here's a terrific dark horse that really has to be mentioned: Voxengo Tape. Better than Kramer imo.
Old 18th March 2015
if only you'd told them in 2011!!

damn you voxengooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
if only you'd told them in 2011!!

damn you voxengooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

...and look what happened.
Old 18th March 2015
PSP VW adds some nice color but its such a hard compressor, and is so absurdly loud when activated, that its hard to do a good A/B. Tried em' all (native), and uHe Satin is one of my favorite plugins of all time. Somehow it makes mixing easier. I don't know why. Adds saturation, light compression, and can boost the lows and especially the highs in a smoother way than any digital EQ I've ever tried. Also a bad ass tape delay. If there was only one 3rd party plugin I could have, this would be it.
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Airwindows has some of the best ITB colouration plugins IMO... plenty of free ones too! definitely worth checking out!

I use distortion all over my tracks... even the "clean" mixes. I think it's good to have contrast in any mix, just like you want some "high" elements and some "low" elements, and some percussive elements and some with slow attacks, you need some clean and some nasty! It's hard to communicate anything without using contrast of some kind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search