The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
getting a loud and clear kick and bassline Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

getting a loud and clear kick and bassline

I am mixing a trance song.

Bear with me here because i havent been doing this for very long....and this may seem completely wrong to some people...

I used 2 kicks, and layered them ( different EQ settings), then used a compressor on each kick channel. And also a compressor at the master buss. I also used a compressor on the bassline channel.

thats 4 compressors...overkill?

It sounds really good though. The kicks hits nice and and loud, with no distortion. and cuts through the mix well.

I am using the waves SSL g-master compressor. I noticed with only 1 compressor on the master buss, i have to push it really hard to get the loudness i am looking for. With 2 compressors, i can get the sound i want... pushing each compressor less. Seems logical to have two.... set lower... working together, than to have 1 working really hard...

thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2011
How does it does it sound? If it sounds good it is good.

Using multiple compressors in series is quite common, I personally tend to believe less is more, but if it works (and is not degrading the signal too much) why not.

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
How does it does it sound? If it sounds good it is good.

Using multiple compressors in series is quite common, I personally tend to believe less is more, but if it works (and is not degrading the signal too much) why not.

well, in my studio it sounds good. i can crank it loud, and i dont hear any distortion. but i am going to check it in other places...car, boombox etc...

I agree less is more. But the make up gain on the compressors are set fairly low.

I was either set the gain really high on one, or set it lower with 2.

what do you normally do when it comes to compression with kicks and basslines?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Why compress a kick drum ? Just make one that's hitting the right level.

Open your kick in soundforge , select a few cycles of the waveform after the attack and before the decay , cut each cycle at a zero crossing and normalize.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Bear with me here

...Anywaay..

If it works and is easy enough to do frequently, and gets you good results I don't see why you need to worry. Just keep doing it your own way. Overall it'd probably help contribute to your own personal sound anyway.
Old 3rd January 2011
AvS
Lives for gear
Quote:
well, in my studio it sounds good. i can crank it loud, and i dont hear any distortion. but i am going to check it in other places...car, boombox etc...

I agree less is more. But the make up gain on the compressors are set fairly low.

I was either set the gain really high on one, or set it lower with 2.

Are you sure you are not just using the compressors for gain? You should set the makeup gain so that when you bypass the compressors the volume should be the same (more or less). Otherwise its really hard to hear if what the compressor does is for the better or not. This is not a rule though - analog comps sound different when gaining on the output but alot of people tend to use clean digital comps but they are really just gaining the signal.

Anyway i always use one kick sample and if its from a good sample library there is no need to compress it. I sometimes compress my basslines but its either very lightly or i use the kick as sidechain for pumping.

But if it sounds good too you then theres it no problem.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

if you are not compressing the kick....then what DB level ( on average) do you guys set the kick to?

ive heard -10 DB's from a lot of people
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
Are you sure you are not just using the compressors for gain? You should set the makeup gain so that when you bypass the compressors the volume should be the same (more or less). Otherwise its really hard to hear if what the compressor does is for the better or not. This is not a rule though - analog comps sound different when gaining on the output but alot of people tend to use clean digital comps but they are really just gaining the signal.

Anyway i always use one kick sample and if its from a good sample library there is no need to compress it. I sometimes compress my basslines but its either very lightly or i use the kick as sidechain for pumping.

But if it sounds good too you then theres it no problem.
yea, i was using it for gain. Should i just go with more DB's on the fader instead?
Old 3rd January 2011
AvS
Lives for gear
-10dBfs is an ok starting point but you can only use this number if the kick is the first instrument you put in and you mix around the kick. It doesnt say anything about the relationship between all the other tracks in a mix and your kick.
If the kick sample is not loud enough i would first make sure the sampler output is maximized, if you use a sampler for kicks that is. If the kick is on a audio track make sure the kick sample itself is loud enough. If not you could use a simple gain plugin or if you use logic you can boost audio files in a track (other sequencer can properbly do this aswell).

If the kick is close to clipping the channel and it is still nok loud enough, compared to the bassline and all other sounds in the mix, then turn everthing else down!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
-10dBfs is an ok starting point but you can only use this number if the kick is the first instrument you put in and you mix around the kick. It doesnt say anything about the relationship between all the other tracks in a mix and your kick.
If the kick sample is not loud enough i would first make sure the sampler output is maximized, if you use a sampler for kicks that is. If the kick is on a audio track make sure the kick sample itself is loud enough. If not you could use a simple gain plugin or if you use logic you can boost audio files in a track (other sequencer can properbly do this aswell).

If the kick is close to clipping the channel and it is still nok loud enough, compared to the bassline and all other sounds in the mix, then turn everthing else down!
yes, i was mixing around the kick........in trance..isnt the bassline and the kick the most important part? and being that in the song i am mixing, there is no vocals.

im not using a sampler, just importing the kick sample straight into cubase. I had not thought about raising the gain on the sample....what would be the difference between that, and raising the channel fader?
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:

Technically if its a sample and hitting at the same volume all them time, you don't need a compressor, as its already equal volume. However I do compress kicks anyway for other reasons (logic's compressor adds soft distortion).

Anyway I just start with the best kick sample I can find, so its 99% there already, then the bass gets arranged and tweaked around it. Once these are working well together your ready to go with everything else. -10db is a good starting point for dance floor styles. If you want to hear how it will sound after mastering slap a limiter on the main out.

Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Anyway I just start with the best kick sample I can find, so its 99% there already
No doubt. Just like in this example, if you like how the layered 2 compressor kick sounds it kind of stupid to not sample it for next time. Then you are starting from the get go with a nice sounding kick. Do this 10 times and you have your own kick library that doesn't need tons of production. Not to mention not wasting tons of time worrying about how to go "boom".

Depending on the style of bassline the most obvious way to get clarity is don't have the bass play at all when the kick does.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search