The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Writing Film Music: Need Effects Help! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Writing Film Music: Need Effects Help!

So I'm writing film music on Tuesday and Wednesday (nothing major, just some project that my friend is directing) and, while I have most of the music written down and wrote out the string arrangements etc, I'm HORRIBLE with figuring out how to get cool effects. I have all the effects and how they sound in my head already but I am very in the dark with how to make them a reality and put them down 'on paper'!

I had a similar post in the thread "whacky sounds" in the main forum but i was referred to here. Basically the effects I want are based on the effects found in these songs:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEId2vmb0M: At :3 seconds we hear this reverse sounding shimmer, at 2:38 we hear it again, 1:20-1:21 you hear it again. this sharp reverse sounding thing, and i dont know how to actually create that sound. i have a boss dd6 with a delay feature and ive gotten that sound sometimes with certain synth settings but its usually hit or miss. i want to be able to get that sound and be able to pull it out at will. how does one do this??

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaVPAKuZMbw: 1:04-1:08, im assuming this is a reverse cymbal with a lot of delay? at 2:01-2:04, theres a very interesting low sound in the background. one forumer said it was this:
" is the feedback return from a tape delay or echo unit with a LP and HPF to keep it smooth
"
and he says to achieve it you do this:
"The feedback returns are what I call the returns or "output" of the delay or echo unit. Feedback is the "repeats" and to me that's exactly what it sounds like. If you set your pedal up to be an FX unit for mixdown then you'll send a signal via the AUX of your DAW or console to the unit's input and then back to the DAW or console via the output. mix the wet/dry to taste."

can anyone expand upon this and is this an accurate analysis of how that sound is made?

3. lastly (most importantly) is this:YouTube - 9. Morning Bell

at 1:33-2:14, you hear this really weird glitchy sound in the background that constantly pitch shifts all over the place. I BELIEVE this is an e-bow playing a note, with tremolo on it, and pitch shifting via the kaoss pad or something but im not entirely sure. can anyone help out?

basically the problem is, even once I find out the answer to these questions, i dont know how to execute them. i was wondering if anyone could help me out? effects is the one area i really want to improve in and would really like some guidance into creating these effects

thank you so much everyone i really appreciate it
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Stammos,

Example 1 is a straight forward reversing of comping elements in the track ( like acoustic guitar sustains, piano sustains and even glock like sustainss ) - once reversed mess around with the overall placing of the sounds so they line up with the beat and bar lines of your track.

Example 2 is quite a complexed synth effect - sounds like a bit of granular stuff going on in it to me - Omnisphere is full of these ready made

Example 3 is electric guitar with various gated effects and drive/feedback effects but the whole line is reversed too.
Old 3rd January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamos6669 View Post
thank you so much everyone i really appreciate it
You might want to check these guys:

http://www.hollywoodedge.com/

Most of the sample packages are quite affordable in fact.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Example 2 is quite a complexed synth effect - sounds like a bit of granular stuff going on in it to me - Omnisphere is full of these ready made
Yes, I think you are going to find a lot of film guys have pet sample libraries for the icing on the cake type stuff. You write the core of your film music as normal, but jazz it up with lots of fx and ambient sounds from VI's like Omnisphere.
I think NI has some ambient, sound design vi's too.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

thank you guys! im gonna check all that out now

just a quick question though, what exactly is a 'gated effect' and 'comping elements'?

and yeah, the music for the film is an original song played in the background, like a song a rockband would play. i just need this icing on the cake stuff which im embarrassingly awful at, which is a shame since all the difficult stuff is done! i just feel like without this 'icing' the song will suffer
Old 3rd January 2011
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

On downtime I used to fool around making fx sounds for myself. Original is always better. However, for the vast majority of film composers time is of a premium. There just isn't the time to create complicated electronic fx from scratch, especially when your emphasis should be on the original composition itself.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamos6669 View Post
thank you guys! im gonna check all that out now

just a quick question though, what exactly is a 'gated effect' and 'comping elements'?

and yeah, the music for the film is an original song played in the background, like a song a rockband would play. i just need this icing on the cake stuff which im embarrassingly awful at, which is a shame since all the difficult stuff is done! i just feel like without this 'icing' the song will suffer
Gated effects sound like the sound your applying the gate to cuts in and out almost as if you were hitting the mute button on and off - this can be done in time and triggered as a rhythmic effect like a stutering or percussive rhythm even if the source sound it's applied to is a sustained pad - you can achieve these effects with gated compressors or with the sidechain option on many software compressors.

'Comping sounds' or Accompanying sounds are your typical chordal keyboard riffs, guitar chords or organ parts... anything that backs the melody and bass in a chordal way. - in the case of example 1. the simple 'comping' elements of the track have been reversed and because they were long sustained sounds with hard attacks followed by fairly rapid decays to long releases when you reverse these sounds you get a lovely sustain which swishes a up in volume to a sudden zzZZZIIP as it hits the transient backwards.... very cool and always a lovely effect to pull !

Beer.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

ahhh! thank you SOO much!

i think i have it figured out. well i have until thursday to get as close as possible seeing how everything else is done

i have but one last question:
YouTube - Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien

go to 1:26 of that track and u will hear the guitarist picking a G at the 15th fret high E string, and then at 1:31 it releases into this BIG, angelic sounding swell with the G note an octave up. ive gotten a similar sound with a delay pedal, while clicking on the octave up harmony on my digitech whammy but it doesnt give me that ridiculous swell that we hear in that track! does anyone know what could be accounting for that?

he is also doing it live, as heard in this video:

YouTube - Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien (Live at The Hammerstein Ballroom 1997)

at 1:33-1:34 you hear the big swell and before that u faintly hear the G note being picked. at 1:44 you hear it again. i know for a fact the guitarist is playing this and making the sound on his guitar and its not a synth/keyboard thing (you see him picking the g at around 1:50) so im wondering, what pedal is giving his that swell effect? space echo maybe?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow you guys!
Stamos should paypal you a few bucks for a pint or two!
Especially to Beermaster !
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

i know seriously

i cannot thank you guys enough, if theres any way i can help you guys out i would but u all know farr more than i do about any of this stuff.

if it helps, im an advanced guitar player so if u ever need someone to play something let me know!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ha ha, always fun to try and help people out. It's the beauty of places like this !

Beer.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

any help with that last sound from my latest big post (about 4 posts down)?

reverb pedal+hitting whammy octave up at a certain time+space echo+delay kinda gets me close..but am i missing something? it still doesnt have that same quality

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search