The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sigue Sigue Sputnik-esque vocal delay effects Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Sigue Sigue Sputnik-esque vocal delay effects

Okay, so there are those wild vocal-sample-delay-wtf effects happening and they are definitely doing this live, since it doesn't appear to be a lipsync.

How do you do that? Did they just record the vocals into a sampler beforehand or is there some sort of equipment that can do this stuff in real time?

BTW THIS BAND BLOWS MY MIND
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

My guess (having heard the studio version many times, I didn't click your live video) is they used a digital delay FX unit and played with the controls in real time. Running your voice through a delay and going wild with the delay rate and feedback knobs will create many of those effects.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Try an Eventide Harmoniser -

or if you want something similar in plug-in format - Soundtoys crystaliser
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I have no idea what SSS was using for delay back in the day (and I was about 13 or 14 when that song came out, and it almost showed the future), you'll be glad to know that there are some more modern delay units that can make it possible to obtain that short delay and pitching it up/down to your liking.

I use a Electrix Mo-Fx multi-effect unit, and it's got an adjustable speed on the delay, it can be sync'd to Midi time clock (or any drum machine), and I can choose from hi, mid, low, hi & low, hi & mid, mid & low, or all 3 as the frequency you want delayed.

There's also the Moogerfooger MF-104z pedal, but you might want some ep-2 pedals to control the speed/rate and time of the delay. (You can control it from the pedal itself, but it might be handy to do so with your foot)

I've never owned one, but I do believe there's also a Line 6 Echo Pro which is chock full of delay/chorus emulations of old school delay effect pedals contained in one rack. It's also able to clock to Midi, and it's highly sought after on eBay (which is where you'll have to look for it most likely).

It's always possible most of the SSS tracks were using Fairlight samplers, and they messed around with the samples that way, but I'd really have no clue.

Good luck..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphones View Post
I have no idea what SSS was using for delay back in the day (and I was about 13 or 14 when that song came out, and it almost showed the future), you'll be glad to know that there are some more modern delay units that can make it possible to obtain that short delay and pitching it up/down to your liking.

I use a Electrix Mo-Fx multi-effect unit, and it's got an adjustable speed on the delay, it can be sync'd to Midi time clock (or any drum machine), and I can choose from hi, mid, low, hi & low, hi & mid, mid & low, or all 3 as the frequency you want delayed.

There's also the Moogerfooger MF-104z pedal, but you might want some ep-2 pedals to control the speed/rate and time of the delay. (You can control it from the pedal itself, but it might be handy to do so with your foot)

I've never owned one, but I do believe there's also a Line 6 Echo Pro which is chock full of delay/chorus emulations of old school delay effect pedals contained in one rack. It's also able to clock to Midi, and it's highly sought after on eBay (which is where you'll have to look for it most likely).

It's always possible most of the SSS tracks were using Fairlight samplers, and they messed around with the samples that way, but I'd really have no clue.

Good luck..
Listening the the original 1986 recording (not the above link), it sound to me like a tape echo (manually speed up and down) in combination with a sampler.

SSS have been way ahead of time. They and a guy called "Plastic Bertrand". These two songs sound so similar, but Bertrand's song is a few years older.

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Considering the time it was recorded, and the band in question, to create these wild 'vocal-sample-delay-wtf' type effects, you're probably looking at equal parts Boss stereo pan delay and Final Net.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Listening the the original 1986 recording (not the above link), it sound to me like a tape echo (manually speed up and down) in combination with a sampler.

SSS have been way ahead of time. They and a guy called "Plastic Bertrand". These two songs sound so similar, but Bertrand's song is a few years older.

Hehehehe, I remember both well... and I also, like you, think it could have been an echo/delay device being manually sped up and down in real time on the singer, in combination with a sampler / sequencer for the parts of the songs that have vocal samples.

However, I remember reading an interview where Plastic Bertrand admitted he wasn't the one who sang - he was only the face of the band... the original Milli Vanilli...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Being the pervert I am, I always liked this version

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

After looking at the video some more, it appears that the one girl (Yana Ya Ya) is standing next to a big box that kind of looks like it could have been a Roland space echo or something and just turning knobs every so often (when she's not dancing).

Apparently, her sole purpose in the band was to do wacky echo/pitch effects. I need to get me one of those in my band.

Also...

dual Simmons kits FTW!!!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

according to the album credits yana ya ya did indeed use a roland space echo delay. so id say tape based delay is a sure bet. she is also credited as "other" effects but it specifically mentions roland space echo in the credits on the 1st full length album they released.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

also just wanted to add that clip at the top is about as "live" as a manequin.

and another thing that i spotted about a year ago after someone posting a video of their favorite music of the eighties....

see if the opening of ballet dancer by the twins sounds familiar to you sique sigue sputnik fans

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

SSS were awesome. I've got "Flaunt It" on both 12" and CD

And produced by my favorite producer....
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I seem to remember, at the time, reading that a Yamaha E1010 delay was involved. The 1010 is/was an analog/bucket brigade type delay IIRC.

It was 24 years ago and my memory might be playing tricks on me though.

(or I might have seen this the one time I was in a rehearsal room with them).

K.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

It's an easy effect if you have a delay with speed modulation. I don't have one, but tape echo are perfect to make that kind of things.
I use a Ibanez DD1000: digital delay but sounds(to my ears) like a cool emulation of an analog tape machine.
In the virtual efx area you can find a lot of plugins for that. If I remember well there is a free Copycat emulation.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianop View Post
. If I remember well there is a free Copycat emulation.
Yes, but it's not the vari-speed Copycat, so varying pitch is not an option.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

wasn't this done on a Fairlight?
whatever the sampler is it's definitely in combo w/ a SpaceEcho

and no that was not a live performance. definitely lip-sync to a studio version. pretty obvious, really.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, I guess I just assumed since it was different than the studio version that it was live.

I remember a post a month or two back about bands recording "live-sounding" versions of songs for the purpose of lip-syncing to them. I naively assumed he was joking.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post

BTW THIS BAND BLOWS MY MIND
I remember 1986 very clearly for this reason.
Old 7th January 2011
Jet
Gear Maniac

Chapter 1, page 3 of the history section of sputnikworld.com mentions a Roland 301 -
We had song titles but no songs..... one song started to take over.. endless versions of BE BOP A LULA in dub.. a sort of stretched dubbed up groove using a Roland 301 Echo box...
and the SSS wikipedia page credits Yana Ya Ya with space echo.

I've tried to do stuff like this with an Electrix Mo-FX and found it challenging. This thread on harmony central has some concise reviews of different delays.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Skinny Puppy used to do a lot of similar vox fx on their earlier records, using a Lexicon PCM-41 (or maybe 42)

although SSS may have jammed on a RE-301 to come up with the idea, i think the delay FX on the recorded version sounds too precise to be tape delay... i could be wrong, but my guess would be a Lexicon PCM or some similar early digital delay

BTW in contributing to this thread i just want to say for the record that i think SSS sound totally dated and lame to my ears. taking the Suicide blueprint and dressing it up in bad mid-'80s production and Billy Idol guitar riffs may have sounded kinda new and cool to teenagers in '86, but nowadays it sounds about as wild as Nik Kershaw to my ears
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

well sure....depending how you look at it they were just wannabes with a huge budget, or they were merely entertainers up to something fun and interesting.

even when it was new and I was 13 yrs old I knew it was a bunch of rubbish.... but what hi-tech cheeky rubbish it was!
Moroder must have had a ****-eater glued to his craw the whole time.

SSS 'flaunt it' was one of the most sonically adventurous records ever made. i mean, who the phuck produced in-house "ads" for other peoples **** to put on their own record - even sold an ad to EMI - the label that released the album, ha. Even by today's standard few have ever abused a sampler, a record industry or the LP format to so many absurd ends. There's something to be said for that, although maybe not MUCH as they're not the Mothers of Invention or doing anything very musically 'important'.
------

btw, I got my RE-301 back from repair today and it's sounding a beauty!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search