The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Increasing a final mix BPM Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Increasing a final mix BPM

I was wondering if anyone has experience in speeding a final mix up a few bpm. Im looking at 113 to 118. I know that djs match beat tempos all day, but only having time compressed on PT to acheive this (which introduces some crappy errors) im wondering if it IS possible to do w/o sacrificing quality.

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon2323 View Post
im wondering if it IS possible to do w/o sacrificing quality.
The simple answer is 'no'... at least not without pitching the track up... but going from 113 to 118 will probably leave you unhappy with the result as it will be in a totally different key.

When DJs use analogue vinyl decks, this happens. If using CDJs (with a feature like Pioneer's 'master tempo'), the tracks are digitally warped, and you do lose some quality.

Is it not possible just to turn up the tempo in your DAW?... though this is obviously only simple if everything is being performed from midi.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

There is no clean way of doing this without re-recording vocals and any live instruments - its easy to up the BPM on the midi stuff and loops tho.

If you're using Logic you can cheat a bit by upping the BPM on the sequencer and then going to each audio file and use the time machine function to morph the audio tracks from the old tempo to the new - this is the best way to up the tempo evenly with the least amount of artifacts and problems but it does take time going into ever audio file and time compressing to the new tempo.

The other rawer options are to time compress the entire mix in one go ... but that will not sound very good

The other option is to input the whole mix into RECYCLE and turn the whole mix into a REX2 FILE .... then see how good it sounds sped up ... which will depend on the number of clean slices and lines overlapping slices

Good luck !

Beer.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

there is software for increasing or decreasing bpm while preserving formants and pitch

i like soundforge for this

reaper preserves things pretty well when playing back at diff rates too
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

when im playing my sets i use Ableton Live and if i need that much of bpm to increase / decrease re-pitching is the only way which sounds good.
but out of original key.

otherwise i guess you'll end up with unpleasant artefacts.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search