The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sample Librarian utility for MAC OSX? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Sample Librarian utility for MAC OSX?

Help. I have several hundred GB of samples on my old PPC Mac. Unfortunately they are not well organized and I am looking for a Library utility to do:
1) Catalog my hard drives for .wav samples
2) List them
3) Organize them.

I made the mistake as noob of installing in default locations and now have about 10 different library's in 10 different folders. I want all of my kick drums to be in one folder, ya know????
Anyone have a solution, other than too many hours of re-installation?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I could be wrong, but I don't see how there could possibly be an application that will be intelligent enough to do this, for example, if you have a kick sample named 'punchy43.wav' within a sub folder containing a full kit of different types of drums, how on earth could an app recognise that it is a kick?

Furthermore, many decisions will be highly subjective, and difficult for even you to decide... I've gome across folders of 'snareclaps'... where the sounds are genuinely somewhere between snares & claps. Do these go into >snares? >claps? or do you make an entirely new folder >snareclaps?

I think that you may find some apps to help you navigate/search what you already have (audiofinder on OSX is quite useful sometimes, I tend to use it for pitch detection.)... but if you want, as you say, to have a folder containing all your kicks, I fear that you are going to have to bite the bullet & start organising manually.

I did this, with 300GB+ of samples, it took me around a week of work to do, and was an absolute pain in the @ss... but it was WELL worth it in the long run, and has massively increased my productivity & enjoyment, plus enabled me to find relevant sounds that I otherwise would not have done since they may have originated in an unlikely folder or with abstract names.

You may find this thread useful:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...n-samples.html

and it details exactly how I organised mine. It really does work an absolute treat for me.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Thank you

I read your post (on the related thread) and it seems to be my destiny. Good logic, but a ton of mouse clicking.
Oh boy ...
I should have added that I am setting up a new Power Mac in the studio and I wanted to do a very organized migration with hopes of not going down a path I will later regret - especially with sample libraries.
I will be using a 2 TB internal drive dedicated for samples. I noticed in a reply to your post a fellow used NI Maschine and Kontakt as a tool - I use Kontakt and am wondering if you have had any successes using it as a 'Librarian' of sorts well?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
Anyone have a solution, other than too many hours of re-installation?
A good Search tool for files , can help you not to move even a muscle. It wont matter where your files are located as long as you named them in such way to make sense.

MACOS tiger and above comes with the best search tool I have ever used , sptlight. I dont know if it is available on your macos, but if it is , you already have a solution to your problem.
Old 2nd January 2011
Snapper is nice while organising.
also I got "Sample Manager" for batch conversion etc.
good luck
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

As Simonator mentions, I use Iced Audio - Audio Finder

Not sure if it'll totally alleviate all the pain but it's a pretty great tool.

R.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read your post (on the related thread) and it seems to be my destiny. Good logic, but a ton of mouse clicking.
Oh boy ...
I should have added that I am setting up a new Power Mac in the studio and I wanted to do a very organized migration with hopes of not going down a path I will later regret - especially with sample libraries.
I will be using a 2 TB internal drive dedicated for samples. I noticed in a reply to your post a fellow used NI Maschine and Kontakt as a tool - I use Kontakt and am wondering if you have had any successes using it as a 'Librarian' of sorts well?
Kontakt has a browser to navigate to the samples you want. I'm not sure how you'd use it to do what you want to do though.

In fact, often when using Kontakt, I'll actually just use finder to skip around and preview some samples, then go directly to them with Kontakt.

I really think you just need to take the pain & do it properly. It will be worth it in the end. I can't express how much of a difference it made to my production.

Nice that you'll have a dedicated 2TB internal. Just to let you know (I'm sure you already do) that you can go to system prefs on the old Mac & set it so that it by default boots in firewire target disc mode every time you switch it on... so for now you can use it as an external hard drive.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

+1 Kontakt has the best databasing I've seen.

there are some other prog's around though...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
+1 Kontakt has the best databasing I've seen.
Could someone please elaborate on this for me?

I'm only aware of the browser thing to locate patches/samples... and that is pretty basic from what I know of it.

Am I missing something here?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

+1 on kontak.

any other tips for stashing samples? I have maybe 100 gigs and was thinking about just grabbing my favorites and throwing them into folders for different projects. Deleting all the rest.

I just can't see using all these and they seem to slow down workflow.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Audiofinder
and Audiofile Engineering Sample Manager for batch conversions
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

I'll use my MV8000 for that kind of thing, when I get the MVCK app from chicken systems.

but the idea is to have something simple with good organization and auditioning and re-saving capabilities. also something you have already or thought about getting to use in it's own right.

so something like a Roland SP-404 might be ok.
you can put 4GIG CF cards in there. so if you can re-save banks of sounds in there you could use 1.8GIG of the card for the source samples and another 1.8GIG folder for the re-saved sounds. erase .. start over.. just make sure you color the files on the Mac that you
have completed. or you'll confuse yourself.

so you load a bunch of sounds.. eliminate everything but Kicks and then save. Computers are terrible for auditioning lots of samples and eliminating and it also makes me dislike my computer. The MV actually makes it almost interesting.

There isn't one application I rate in this respect. except maybe the old OS9 samplefinder by Gallery software.

there is one other way I don't mind tooo much. load a lot of samples into a Logic track one after another. select them all. select move objects by position. so they all bunch up together. change the tempo so they move appart.

connect a foot pedal to something so it transmits midi to logic..

press play. hit the pedal when you hear a kick.
use that as a position maker.

I've tried all sorts for this. a Z8 sampler is pretty good for the job as well because you load mark samples you don't want and then delete all marked samples.

Audiofinder is a good app but I don't like using computer for this task generally. but if I wanted a rough and ready way to get a bunch of kicks from somewhere to somewhere else, I'd run a find for the word KICK or BD on the drive or master folder with the samples. then I'd select them all and hit copy to >> or Move.

The only (app) I'd really use for this though is keymap. it's for building exs instruments but it makes a good sample manager. load up each note on the keyboard with 128 samples. 5 octaves of that is rather a lot. save it as a .kmp file for reference and without the sample bulk. arrow through to hear them. you can delete what you don't want or move what you do want to a new layer. then delete the layer you don't want. then save as another .kmp file. there's a few ways do do things.

eventually, you can load that .kmp and save as an .exs file into another folder and have it set to recreate ALL new samples.. then you have all those kicks there.

I'd still prefer a dedicated sample hardware unit though. much more pleasurable.

anyhow.. hope you get some useful ideas from any of these post.

good luck with those multiple GIGS.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

Thanks! but ...

I'm with Simonater on this - could someone please elaborate on using Kontakt?
I started in last night, and it did search and list pages, and more pages, and more pages ... 1081 pages eventually ... of audio files. Though I haven't had time to preview that list, the ones I have seen are all .wav's, though I am sure there will be others. But okay, so now it is listing them and I can load them, but does Kontakt have a function for organizing files other than by loading and 'saving as' in new location?
Also, (okay, lazy here) is there a quicker way to preview sounds in Kontakt before loading them? {I just know I am setting myself up here for a response like "Yes, turn to page 2 in the manual ..."}
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, (okay, lazy here) is there a quicker way to preview sounds in Kontakt before loading them?
Well, it seems I could be missing something... but what I tend to do is just use my Finder (basic OS X window/file navigation) to go through my multi sample libraries & 'quick preview' (hit space to demo highlighted file) on an individual sample or two within the Kontakt patch's 'samples' folder. This way I can get the idea of what a few patches sound like, in the space of time it would normally take to fully load just one.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Wakestyle is suggesting using Kontakts own features to build a database then FIND say a kick, then shift select the the kicks found from first to last and then drag them into the empty area in kontakt..

then it builds an instrument with all those kicks in.
Then you can save that instrument somewhere and save (probably) by copying the samples or moving them at the same time as saving that new instrument. you can also have absolute or relative references to the samples or you can often re-create a new set of samples at the same time

or when you have them ALL selected you can copy them by selecting the View tab and select (copy selection to). not sure if you can move them so you will be duplicating data there and you won't always know what you've already copied but, Kontakt has a find duplicates routine too.

it's probably best to copy a bunch of things first into a work folder and practice. it might also be better to have a whole new folder for the copy's.

I have Kontakt 2 so I'm not sure if they got any more advanced management tools in later versions.

one things for sure though. if you're dealing with multiple thousands of files the last thing you want to do is listen to them, if you can help it.

It's best to mass handle as much by name as possible and then move them or copy them. if you've already set up important instruments though, moving them might detach references and the instruments will throw up lost reference alerts. in which case it's best to get those sorted first.

an (absolute) sample reference is a reference to a sample being in a specified place and folder structure (exactly).

a (relative) sample reference is a reference within (any other) folder structure (but) it searches for a relative structural folder position.

so if the samples for an instrument were in a structural tree, three folders down from the instrument, the instrument will look through that structural tree. the (main absolute) drive and absolute filepath names are less important then.

it can succeed in finding samples through relative positions in (any) folder as long as that tree structure conforms to the original.
maybe Kontakt can relink by rebuilding the database. I'm not sure about that.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

You've got this that might be worth looking at ... >>clicky<<

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Checkout redmatica they have some stuff that looks promising in databasing sample libraries.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I was just talking about Kontakt's Database tab. You in preferences you select the folder(s) containing you wav's then click scan. After that you can browse with database sort/label/customize then can search them, or browse however you like.

If you want to preview them just create a new instrument bank, then drag wavs/nki's there and you can use a midi controller with preset wheel to move ahead/backward while playing new presets.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

+1 for Audio Finder. That, and you need a plan.
Old 6th January 2011
cpu
Gear Addict

Another +1 on Audio Finder

I really haven't seen anything that comes close for osx. I still probably am not as proficient with the shortcuts as i should be after 2 years, but it really comes in handy when i need it.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Awesome information!

Thank you all - I guess I will be quiet for a few days as I dive into all of this.
Much Appreciated!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search