The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Computer-free multitracking & sequencing? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Computer-free multitracking & sequencing?

I'm having problems finding a piece of gear that does what I need and hope some of you wise souls can offer some suggestions!

What I need is an item that will act as a midi sequencer whilst allowing me to multitrack my Alpha Juno and do a little sampling/looping as well. It should be possible to individually vary the lengths of the loops and sequences (e.g., a one bar bassline, 4 bar pads, 3 bar lead, etc....). I already have an Acidlab Miami and a TR-606, so drums are taken care of. I do not want to use a computer, for various reasons.

I was considering an MPC1000, but this has for me the following limitations:

-can't have individual sequence lengths (I understand there is a workround called 'simultaneous sequence' with the most expensive JJOS, but this sounds a bit complicated)

-very limited sample processing possibilities

-limited to 128mbRam - I'm not planning on turning into Trevor Horn at any time soon, but nevertheless....

-I feel more at home with step sequencers than pads

-MPC workflow isn't really my bag

Can anyone suggest anything that may fit the bill?

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

The more you try to cram into the same device for the same budget, the more likely you are to end up with a laptop.

Sounds like you just have to wait for the Octatrack

What do you want to play back that makes 128 mb "limited" by the way?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

yamaha RS 7000.
i saw amazing live set with it!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

A TR-sequencer offers something no MPC-sequencer can do in typical MPC mode; when the blinking light is at the first step anyone with sufficient dexterity can have the pattern programmed in advance when the 4th step lights up. With an MPC you have to wait until you need to hit it.

Plus, tempos are generally higher. It's easy to say that one needs to learn how to play if you stay around and below 100 bpm heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
Mpc is for people who can play.
Hit record play a bassline.
Fu*k is you worried about keeping it real being without a computer and **** when it is the computer keeping your dumb ass producing.
Can you play homeboy? Do you want to learn how to play an instrument?
Hmm?
Then why the fu*k do you need step sequencers for?
Computer ''free'' my ass... I say step up or get out.
???

WT
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
A TR-sequencer offers something no MPC-sequencer can do in typical MPC mode; when the blinking light is at the first step anyone with sufficient dexterity can have the pattern programmed in advance when the 4th step lights up. With an MPC you have to wait until you need to hit it.
Honestly the best thing for what he is trying to do is fruity loops. Add that plus a laptop and he can go to town step sequencing his way into the new millennium. He just gotta pretend it is not fruity loops and pretend it is this vintage sequencer some awesome oldshool producer use to use back in 1986.

Quote:

Plus, tempos are generally higher. It's easy to say that one needs to learn how to play if you stay around and below 100 bpm heh
Not really you can play faster and use the quantize feature to correct it if you didn't get it right. I mean you sort of have to move your hands on the keyboard and try play along with the beat. Strange stuff.. I know...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
The more you try to cram into the same device for the same budget, the more likely you are to end up with a laptop.

Sounds like you just have to wait for the Octatrack

What do you want to play back that makes 128 mb "limited" by the way?
One of the main reasons I don't want a laptop is that previously when I've tried to integrate hardware with my DAW it hasn't worked particularly well, I can do everything ITB without problems or completely OTB without problems but OTB is more fun

128mb is not really a deal breaker to be honest.....but the other issues I mentioned are. I will certainly be wanting to demo the Octatrack, but it sounds like it will be unfinished when it is initially released, e.g. no midi sequencing until a future OS update. We'll see!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Fu*k is you worried about keeping it real being without a computer and **** when it is the computer keeping your dumb ass producing.
Hmm?
I'll say it again because obviously you didn't understand the first time:

I want to 'play' my synthesizer into the sampler, and then trigger my audio sample by using a step sequencer rather than by waiting till the right moment and then hitting a pad to trigger it. Just a matter of personal preference, probably due to the fact that I was raised on music made with 909's, 808's and 303's rather than MPC's. If that offends you, there's plenty of other threads on the site that you can contribute to - I'd prefer if you left this thread to the other people here who are trying to offer some constructive suggestions.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just a matter of personal preference, probably due to the fact that I was raised on music made with 909's, 808's and 303's rather than MPC's.
909s and 808s don't record audio though. Don't get it twisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus303 View Post
I want to 'play' my synthesizer into the sampler, and then trigger my audio sample by using a step sequencer rather than by waiting till the right moment and then hitting a pad to trigger it.
Trigger what? The audio? Don't you have to chop it up first? How long is the musical performance that you plan on recording into this imaginary machine going to be to trigger it with a step sequencer? A 1/16th note?

Why not record the midi into the mpc and use the mpc to trigger the synth-module?

Help me understand what you are trying to accomplish maybe I can give you some suggestions and ****...
Right now you are not making much sense.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm?
Oh please using an MPC isn't any more "playing" than using a step time sequencer. Just cause you tap a few pads in time doesn't mean you have skills. 9 month old babies can clap in time with their mothers. You're just trying to be a fvcking ball breaker!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus303 View Post
-can't have individual sequence lengths (I understand there is a workround called 'simultaneous sequence' with the most expensive JJOS, but this sounds a bit complicated)

-very limited sample processing possibilities

-limited to 128mbRam - I'm not planning on turning into Trevor Horn at any time soon, but nevertheless....

-I feel more at home with step sequencers than pads

-MPC workflow isn't really my bag

Can anyone suggest anything that may fit the bill?

Thanks in advance
sounds to me like the RS7000. individual sequence lengths; sampler ram limited to 64mb though. step, grid, overdub, replace sequence modes.

note: I also have a MPC 1000 with jjos, but I prefer to use it stand alone rather than in a setup.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Trigger what? The audio? Don't you have to chop it up first? How long is the musical performance that you plan on recording into this imaginary machine going to be to trigger it with a step sequencer? A 1/16th note?

Why not record the midi into the mpc and use the mpc to trigger the synth-module?

Help me understand what you are trying to accomplish maybe I can give you some suggestions and ****...
Right now you are not making much sense.
Yes, trigger the audio that I've recorded. As stated in my OP, could be various lengths - anything up to (e.g.) 16 bars. Using an MPC to record midi and trigger my synth module is impractical as I only have one (monotimbral) synth, hence the thread title 'computer-free MULTITRACKING and sequencing'. Everyone else seemed to understand exactly what I meant.

I'm aware that 808's don't record audio, my point was simply that I am extremely comfortable and familiar with step sequencers as a concept and also well-disposed toward them as some of my favorite music was created with them.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks again to everyone else for their help and advice, keep it coming thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Computer-free multitracking & sequencing?

Take a look at a used mv8000 or mv8800. They don't cost nearly as much as they should used and sound like just what you need.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

I think you should wait for the octatrack to be released, sounds like it would suit you perfectly.
Old 3rd January 2011
+1 on the above – on the paper it looks like the Octatrack would be the ticket individual track lenghts, midi sequencing with microtiming, extreme sample manipulation and 8 stereo track. All realtime. Seems perfect.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Mpc4000...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search