The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speedy J !ive (1995) - what gear was he using? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Speedy J !ive (1995) - what gear was he using?

ok Slutz - in 1995 Speedy J released G-Spot and a bonus CD called !ive came with it. does anyone know what Speedy J was using at the time for gear - i know there is K2000 all over it, but what else - it's just amazingly deep and has many sounds that do not get repeated.

i know some one here must know all about this release. it really was a game changer for me...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Well it wasn't out in 95 but he's known for using the YAMAHA SU700

Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure what he was using but that album is great stuff. Have it on vinyl & play it regularly.

-T
Old 2nd January 2011
On those albums I heard a lot of 909 (of course) and MC202 (or SH101?).
Not sure about live though. I'm guess a lot was on tape and being mixed live with FX.
Love Speedy J though (wish he would grow out of minimalist). thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

i was going to start a speedy j thread!

i was thinking about the kit used to make public energy no.1 - specifically 'patterns' 'haywire' 'hayfever' 'pure energy' being my favourites

they all got a lovely nice filtered distorted percussion - wondered if it was a synth used or drum machines or samples..
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

His live set with the Yamaha stuff was the best live set ive ever seen
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

This is around 03. Spot what you can Beyotches! heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

@ Dubtek71

Great video! Thanks for posting that one.

When I saw his gear I got so excited I turned into Tourettes Guy!
Attached Thumbnails
Speedy J !ive (1995) - what gear was he using?-18.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Love Speedy J though (wish he would grow out of minimalist).
right on. couldn't agree more. Old stuff is some of my absolute favorite; newer minimal stuff does nothing for me. all personal opinion I guess.
Old 2nd January 2011
I had to play before him once...that was around 98/99 I guess...

He used:
mpc3000
Kurzweil K2500 rack
Ensoniq dp4
Allen & Heat mixer (kinda like the mix wizzard but older..)

...and then some...

That was in his minimal breakbeat experimental period.

Check his CD Loudboxer...there's an uber cool su700 live track on there.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I hear speedy j now is completely itb. is this true?
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
i was going to start a speedy j thread!

i was thinking about the kit used to make public energy no.1 - specifically 'patterns' 'haywire' 'hayfever' 'pure energy' being my favourites

they all got a lovely nice filtered distorted percussion - wondered if it was a synth used or drum machines or samples..
A lot of modular processing.
Obviously Arp 2600, as he still owns one. I feel I can hear a Korg tone in there (MS20, or PS3XXX?). I imagine this is when he started to get into audio processing software too, time stretching, distortion, wave shaping etc.....

I just think Jochem has such a talent with harmony and melody to add to his fantastic groove and programming skills, it's a shame he only seems to be using about 20% of his skills on the minimal stuff.
He's always very good though. The Mute stuff was often not pleasant to listen to, but incredibly well done. The minimal stuff likewise, each individual sound is great, and well positioned, it just never develops (being minimal). hehthumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Yeah but plugs and daws have really been gaining power in the last 5 years. It took some time to adapt and to people to start gaining trust in them but no most of tech musoc is done ITB. I know people that make percussion from soft synths. And i mean awsome sounding kickdrums that handle processing really well.

Also they ditched a lot of the old drum machines and got into d16 plugs and other drum softies.

But at the end they master and put the mix it through analog outboard.

This sounds ITB to me but has that analog saturation, roundness and smooth frequency response as well as depth and a clean mix. So this could be a hybrid setup we are hearing.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
So this could be a hybrid setup we are hearing.
Agreed, most likely with an emphasis on software.
Paap is a big supporter of Ableton and Native Instruments.

Great sounds on that track! (One of his more recent)
Old 5th January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

In 1997 Speedy J used:
  • Akai MPC3000
  • Kurzweil K2000
  • Ensoniq DP/4
  • Yamaha DX100
  • EMS Synthi
  • Arp 2600
  • Roland System 100
  • SCI Pro One
  • TB-303 Devilfish
  • "Plus all the small Roland things"

Source: FM57/1997
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wavestation is all over Ginger, I think? Sounds like there's one on G-spot as well. G-spot is one of my fave albums of all time.

I roadied for Mr J during his concert in Oslo. Quite randomly, he just needed help to carry his **** to the hotel

Fine avatar, Don.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

I saw him live in '95. Fantastic show. I don't remember if he forgot, or damaged his voltage converters, but he wound up only being able to use his 909 and 303.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Motel View Post
I saw him live in '95. Fantastic show. I don't remember if he forgot, or damaged his voltage converters, but he wound up only being able to use his 909 and 303.
so he had a 909 and 303 live. i was thinking he had samples of the 909 based on the structure of some of the tracks, but he might have been using an external sequencer to trigger the 909 sounds.

he uses several different crashes which are panned and several clap and snare sounds in layers. they have to be samples. he also must have used drum loop samples for some of the crunchy bits.

man, i need a life

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search