The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hey guys we're working on a guide for music composers Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Hey guys we're working on a guide for music composers

Hey, guys!
We're working on a new guide for aspiring composers, but we really don’t want to leave anything out. So I’m doing a little investigation: Feel free to leave what you consider to be your BIGGEST questions about music making/composition --no matter how silly you think they sound
(You composers out there can even comment on topics you think folks should know.)
For helping out, I'll send you a copy of the guide when it's done
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

once I asked my piano master why he wasn't a composer although "very" good on piano. He told me" beacause I have nothing to say ".

so before all maybe better living a life, otherwise music comes out boring.
music is 99% feeling 1% theory.
at least this is my point of view right now.

dr kun
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundevelop View Post
once I asked my piano master why he wasn't a composer although "very" good on piano. He told me" beacause I have nothing to say ".

dr kun
Depends. Some believe that music production is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.
Old 2nd January 2011
ark
Lives for gear

"The supreme question concerning a work of art is out of how deep a life does it spring." --James Joyce
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachboy View Post
Depends. Some believe that music production is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.
i agree with this. I have quite a few ideas at all times but i get nowhere with them fast and i have to battle with myself to not quit entirely.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
i agree with this. I have quite a few ideas at all times but i get nowhere with them fast and i have to battle with myself to not quit entirely.
I belive having a good idea in music means having something that sound good by itself and make people move. so if you have a good idea that's all you need.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Okay, here are a couple:

1.) In the long-term evolution of harmony (for example, important steps might be caveman>medieval>Bach>Wagner>Hendrix>contemporary), how will harmony sound in 5/10/20/50/100/200 years time?

2.) If they are going to invest thousands of dollars in marketing, incessant radio play will force the mainstream public audience to accept even the lamest rubbish as normal. BUT if you are going to write a track anyway, why don't pop composers spend a few minutes to write songs that are actually good?
...It's like some of the feature length animations over the past years (I'm thinking of the likes of 'The Tale of Despereaux' and 'Planet 51')... they must invest millions of dollars in production, involving thousands upon thousands of man-hours... but then skimp on the screen play & script writing (that Pixar & Dreamworks nail so perfectly.)... if they are spending $50,000,000 plus on the production, why not invest a couple of thousand of that on someone who can actually write a good script?? Madness.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm interested in getting a copy Scotty!
I always find it difficult starting out a composition.
So my question would be how best to start...
Like do you start with a chord progression, key, bass, drums first, last?
Then the timings, beat bar counts..
That sort of thing!
Old 2nd January 2011
RD9

One of the most important things about composition that isn't discussed enough I think is how to write good progressions. How and when to change phrases and patterns, how to create a mood, that kind of thing. Not a chord reference per se, but a more general explanation of why progressions exist and different ways to write them. Also how progressions relate to the different parts/instruments in a song -- the main melody, bass, drums, accompaniment, etc.
Old 2nd January 2011
yes - so much electronic music is focussed on timbre - a really good chunk of time spent on harmony would be great including

chord progression

Inversions

intervalls

key change/modulation

all with CONTEMPORARY RELEVANT music in mind...More than just major/minor/circle of fifths...to inspire people to write music instead of creating sound...

Its so rare these days someone writes something like this who is actually genuinely knowledgable AND connected into the real contemporary music world...

anyways - in the meantime - this is quite good
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundevelop View Post

dr kun
Probably the most inspiring and accurate statement I have ever read online.
Old 20th June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Traxx View Post
Hey, guys!
We're working on a new guide for aspiring composers, but we really don’t want to leave anything out. So I’m doing a little investigation: Feel free to leave what you consider to be your BIGGEST questions about music making/composition --no matter how silly you think they sound
(You composers out there can even comment on topics you think folks should know.)
For helping out, I'll send you a copy of the guide when it's done

There are many people making a living as a music composer by writing music which put a lot of stress on them. I just want to know "How I can make or compose my music though I know just few about composing".
Old 20th June 2011
Gear Maniac

stick some stuff about serialism in there. it works well with MIDI and you don't really need to know any 'traditional' theory to get it to work.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search