The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fruity Loops DAW Software
Old 1st January 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
ozzlanda's Avatar
 

Fruity Loops

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, fruity loops is such a great little piece of software, why isn't it made for mac?

Surely the company would be making a huge deal more profits if it were. I love the fact I can combine logic and reason using rewire to get a more powerful/creative edge on my work. I would love to incorporate fruity loops as well, but unfortunately cannot, as I am a mac lover, and wouldn't switch in a million years..

C'mon fruity loops! If you make an OS version you can have my money!
Old 1st January 2011
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzlanda View Post
I was wondering, fruity loops is such a great little piece of software, why isn't it made for mac?
It was originally done in Delphi, which makes it hard to port to OS X.

Quote:
Surely the company would be making a huge deal more profits if it were.
No.

The group of OS X users isn't that big. FL Studio is (because of its price and piracy) a favorite for people who are just starting out (or young folks) - both these groups are unlikely to own Macs.

Quote:
C'mon fruity loops! If you make an OS version you can have my money!
It might mean that they'd have to redo pretty much everything from scratch.

Plugins themselves can be coded in such a way that they're portable but it costs quite a bit extra; to make FL portable (which is non-trivial - any plugin builder can already tell you that) you'd have to spend a lot of cash. Since the group of people to be added to the list of users would simply not be big enough, it makes it a risky endeavour with a low return on investment, even if the majority of 'm being added are paying customers.

If it's about the sequencing, see if you can get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMMS to work.
Old 1st January 2011
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
ozzlanda's Avatar
 

It's pretty unfortunate then, because the software is great. I don't think that it's targeting people starting out in music either, it can be a very powerful tool to create very professional polished tracks. Just check out BSOD's work, I had a chance to speak to steve duda about his tracks with deadmau5 for BSOD and he said something along the lines of,

"people usually ask me how we get the sound we do in our BSOD productions, they usually don't believe me when I say it is all done within fruity loops, using all the standard plugs and maybe some free ones off the internet"

This isn't exactly quoted word for word but you get the drift. It can be a really powerful piece of software, check this tune out.

BSOD; Milton. YouTube - BSOD - Milton
Old 1st January 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
you might want to take a look at ableton live, it's got amazing looping features and I love it on my mac
Old 1st January 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
you might want to take a look at ableton live, it's got amazing looping features and I love it on my mac

Ableton and fruity loops have very different characters imo.
Old 1st January 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzlanda View Post
It's pretty unfortunate then, because the software is great. I don't think that it's targeting people starting out in music either, it can be a very powerful tool to create very professional polished tracks. Just check out BSOD's work, I had a chance to speak to steve duda about his tracks with deadmau5 for BSOD and he said something along the lines of,

"people usually ask me how we get the sound we do in our BSOD productions, they usually don't believe me when I say it is all done within fruity loops, using all the standard plugs and maybe some free ones off the internet"

This isn't exactly quoted word for word but you get the drift. It can be a really powerful piece of software, check this tune out.

BSOD; Milton. YouTube - BSOD - Milton
The quality of the plugins in FL is amazing. They all sound very smooth and there is very little aliasing.
Unfortunately, FL misses some features that make it difficult to intergate into a pro setup.
For instance, the gain structure is obscure.
When i was experimenting with FL i found that i had to go through a lot of places to find where the gain was set wrong.
And there are a lot of these small 'annoyances'.
The thing is, people that just start out don't have a preconception of a workflow and they just adapt to fruity and live in that world.

Another thing that will rub the 'pros' the wrong way is the graphics. It's fancy. It will look bad to the pro's (because if you have to invest so much effort into polishing the looks then it's propably ****) but llook cool to the kids (because, well, it looks cool).

That's fine but once you get deeper into producing music and have a broader DAW experiece, then FL can look a little like a toy and people don't take it seriously.

Fruity is sortof the big elephant underdog in the room. Very serious if you take it for what it is but still gets snuffed at by more 'serious' producers.
Old 1st January 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mardi Gras's Avatar
 

i would kill to have a native FL studio on my mac :(
Old 2nd January 2011
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Moscow's Avatar
 

man i spent so many years perfecting my fruity loops skills then moved to mac. i now use logic, its obviously better in a lot of ways but what id do to get the drum sequencer in logic!
Old 2nd January 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

If it's a matter of the drum sequencer then check out Geist or Nerve. Also, you can run FL Studio on a any Intel based Mac if you choose to via something like Crossover, Fusion, or Bootcamp.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Virtual box works great. I have logic and FL open at the same time!!
Old 2nd January 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
FL misses some features that make it difficult to intergate into a pro setup.
For instance, the gain structure is obscure.
When i was experimenting with FL i found that i had to go through a lot of places to find where the gain was set wrong.
Just hit F5 till the sampler comes up and there's your volume knob controlling how much volume you are sending to a mixers channel. It takes about 1 second to do. 2 seconds if your slow

FL Studio is a super fast program to use once you know all the keyboard shortcuts but that's pretty much the same with every DAW really.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
it also has envelope power. wipes the floor with most daws ive used for creativity thanks to that.

i love how edison works too. and still having a pattern mode selectable at the top is actually still genius.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
Until it gets proper clip fades....


dfegad fruityloops.

I don't mind it, I used to use it all of the time and I'm quite proficient in it. I have to have proper DAW capabilities though, so Live is loads better suited for me.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #14
Gear Addict
 
fzit0's Avatar
 

If you really like Fl Studio why don't you use Bootcamp? No need to buy a new computer.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
I'm guessing the problem isn't in running FL Studio, it's in running FL Studio together with Logic, rewired like Reason.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Fruity Loops is used by a fair few people that are 'BIG' producers the likes of Deadmau5, Maori Levi and Benga (of magnetic man) all use it.

Its seems to be used more in a programing sense and then rewire etc with another DAW.

The only thing i dont like about it is not be able to have mono channels. there is like a merge option but it still exports as a stereo file.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Until it gets proper clip fades....


dfegad fruityloops.

I don't mind it, I used to use it all of the time and I'm quite proficient in it. I have to have proper DAW capabilities though, so Live is loads better suited for me.
Might be a bit noob but... Whats clip fades?
Old 2nd January 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Might be a bit noob but... Whats clip fades?
It's basically a fade in/out or a crossfade between two clips... I mean, you can do fade in/outs in FL by automation envelopes on the volume or by loading the clip in Edison but you really shouldn't have to spend more than a couple minutes on fades if your SUPER picky on how you like them. Spending 15 minutes on something that should only take three is just really bad for productivity...

Live does clip fades automatically. It's even easier than Pro Tools! :P

The benefit of fades is immense when you're recording lots of analog equipment or real instruments because when you're looping recorded parts you don't get clicks from bad zero crossing. You also really can't get a cut up vocal track right without it. It's pretty much like the most needed feature of a proper daw.

If you're not doing that though and are just working with software instruments and samplers then FL will probably do you just fine.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
It's basically a fade in/out or a crossfade between two clips... I mean, you can do fade in/outs in FL by automation envelopes on the volume or by loading the clip in Edison but you really shouldn't have to spend more than a couple minutes on fades if your SUPER picky on how you like them. Spending 15 minutes on something that should only take three is just really bad for productivity...

Live does clip fades automatically. It's even easier than Pro Tools! :P

The benefit of fades is immense when you're recording lots of analog equipment or real instruments because when you're looping recorded parts you don't get clicks from bad zero crossing. You also really can't get a cut up vocal track right without it. It's pretty much like the most needed feature of a proper daw.

If you're not doing that though and are just working with software instruments and samplers then FL will probably do you just fine.
never used live, but I used FL for years, and yes the fades are ..., last time i used a rewired into pro-tools for audio tracks and mixing. FL handling the sampling and synths. Fades are what first attracted me to pro tools
Old 3rd January 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Gdupproductions's Avatar
 

Why the f*ck would you buy an mac anyway ?....
Old 3rd January 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Why the f*ck would you buy an mac anyway ?....
  • Logic
  • Final Cut
  • OS X
  • Well built
...just a few of the reasons.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
  • Logic
  • Final Cut
  • OS X
  • Well built
...just a few of the reasons.
Please don't let this get into a stupid mac/pc flame war...

I've been around both for a long time and they both have CPUs and software. Neither of them have superior sound, and I've seen both break down just as often.

To get anywhere in this world you have to be multi-platform and at least use both at a professional level although it's better to own both if you have the $$. When you add in the cost of proprietary and properly matched hardware they come to about the same price.

Windows runs just as good as OS X but the CPU has to be paired with the OS/motherboard chipset/other hardware and can't be crap for it to run right without glitches. Most consumer computer companies just crap out PCs built from whoever sells components the cheapest without pairing and be done with it.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Please don't let this get into a stupid mac/pc flame war...
Yes, so please don't quote me. Quote one more post up.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Why the f*ck would you buy an mac anyway ?....
because bill gates is a paedophile. you don't endorse that sort of thing do you?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Until it gets proper clip fades....


dfegad fruityloops.

I don't mind it, I used to use it all of the time and I'm quite proficient in it. I have to have proper DAW capabilities though, so Live is loads better suited for me.
FL has zero-crossing editing available. Select zero-crossing and when you split an audio file it splits at zero-crossing.

I've never had any need for auto-fading, but I can see it would be handy for some.

My opinion is that FL is an excellent and underrated tool. Very good for creativity.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Sup fellas, first post =P.
I'm pretty sure Fl studio can do auto-fading on clips. Its under declicking in the sampler, the setting "generic" seems to work pretty well for me when chopping and rearranging vocals.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

I do use FL but as with the clip fades thing it would only be a problem (for me) when mixing loads of recorded parts, and when it comes to anything like that i use cubase, logic or pro tools depending on where i am and whats available.

FL for me is just to be used as a sequencer and try not to do my final mixdown and mastering in FL but like i said, its what i have available for me.
Old 4th January 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
  • Well built
In my life i've seen more macs die of hardware failure than pc's.
The problem is that i encounter many many more pc's than macs.
But i have to admit that they LOOK nicer, even when opened, which may give you the impression that they are built well.
But unfortunately, in my experience, macs are much more prone to failure than pc's.

(p.s. not trying to start a war. It's just that macs have many myths surrounding it. I realy have no preference for one platform over the other except for when it comes to the available tools)
Old 4th January 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
in my experience, macs are much more prone to failure than pc's.
Yes, we all have our own experiences and speak from them. As long as you are happy with what you're using now that's all that matters. I was never really happy with Windows.
Old 4th January 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
a friend told me the other day that anything written in delphi like fl would actually run better on a unix based os like mac.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
subby33 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
39
Synthy08 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
24
mikemillinator / So much gear, so little time
0
Lawrence / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump