The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Nut

Alesis Fusion on steroids.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

I took a look over at the Korg forums for the first time
and the reaction there isn't as positive. Seems a lot
of people are burned on the Oasys support and
especially the sequencer.

On the other hand, I've ALWAYS wanted a Wavestation
with the ability to use my own sample library. Everything
else is just extra to me.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Both spring loaded and traditional Wavestation/Prophet VS type joysticks -- very nicely done.
Old 14th January 2011
Oop
Gear Addict

While I'm not really one of those Analog sound fetishists out there, over the years I've come to dislike ROMpler/Workstation sounds to an extent. In terms of tweaking, modifying etc. I have a Motif XS rack and I use it mostly for real world instruments or drum kits.
Korg really seems to have done some magic with this one. I can't describe this feeling where I really want it, but then there is an inner voice saying it's a workstation heh ..VST's or real synths would be a better choice. Can't seem to justify spending on it.
The other feeling I have is that even with all the synthesis methods onboard, it might sound plasticky and cheap or won't be powerful enough. The demos still haven't impressed me in terms of synthesis, since they are mostly overviews.

I think the price is quite good compared to what the OASYS started off with. But this literally just dumped over Roland and Yamaha for sure, in the workstation market.

Not being anal, but the touchscreen did seem a bit sticky unlike the super fluid iPhone/iPad capacitive screens heh
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaaat View Post
Korg really seems to have done some magic with this one. I can't describe this feeling where I really want it, but then there is an inner voice saying it's a workstation heh ..VST's or real synths would be a better choice. Can't seem to justify spending on it.
The other feeling I have is that even with all the synthesis methods onboard, it might sound plasticky and cheap or won't be powerful enough. The demos still haven't impressed me in terms of synthesis, since they are mostly overviews.
I just watched an hour long launch video from Namm.
It underlined everything you just said. ****ing wank.

The coolest features (to me) were brushed over with
a look of confusion, and honest to god, a reference to
making space noises.
Old 14th January 2011
Oop
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
I just watched an hour long launch video from Namm.
It underlined everything you just said. ****ing wank.

The coolest features (to me) were brushed over with
a look of confusion, and honest to god, a reference to
making space noises.
Well we belong to the Alien breed. Most of these workstation demo guys just know how to play fancy and have me go like, damn I need to get back to some music lessons or practise more dfegad

...AAAAAND it has the MS20 emulation built in...(I have no idea what it does...swaps random cables...makes sci fi sounds)... moving onto stage pianos and EP's.... heh
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Someone make a VST wavesequencing plugin that
can load wavetables + samples and save me $2700.

Even better, emulate the Modcan scanner in VST3
using the surround sound buss so I can assign 8
inputs.

Both would be nice.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

ya install that in a laptop, wait for OS loading time, DAW loading time, deal with latency, and god forbids, Gig with it on stage. good luck.

and how much does a laptop cost you that is able to play combination of 9 different engines including that HD1, Piano, all hundreds of polyphony without noticable latency?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
and god forbids, Gig with it on stage. good luck.
I'm not saying that it's not a great product for that market.
I'm saying that I'll use 10% of it's capabilities and I'm enough
of a nerd to actually pay the price to use that 10%.

Stage...

For the shows I play, there's no way I'm bringing a 61 key
keyboard. I'm bringing two things that can fit in a backpack
and a 10 speed bike by the getaway exit.

And that chick told me she was 18.

Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

So street USD prices are approximately

61 key $3000
73 key $3500
88 key $3800

A little better than I was expecting.

Nova Musik
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

PRE ORDER SPECIAL! Click here for SPECIAL! (LIMITED TIME OFFER)

Click the link and email them. I bet it'll be a lot better than
you expected then.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Should I also pre-order a Beat Thang while I'm in that mood?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Should I also pre-order a Beat Thang while I'm in that mood?
If it comes with a free Fleshlight, I say go for it. heh
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Who would consider a Beat Thang without the Fleshlight?

(As long as the Fleshlight isn't B stock)
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who would consider a Beat Thang without the Fleshlight?

(As long as the Fleshlight isn't B stock)
If it is, you can re-gift it.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

For 3000 USD you could get much more in Virtual Synths and soft sample libraries. Kronos is basically software made to run on a korg keyboard workstation.
The beats on the NAMM kronos video sounded dreadful.

If you like polysix etc get the korg plugins. You could basically find cheaper substitutes for all 9 engines on Kronos in virtual instruments.

I'm not feeling workstations - it's too last decade imho.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it is, you can re-gift it.
It would make a nice stocking stuffer.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would make a nice stocking stuffer.
2 birds, 1 stone.

Economical. heh
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

In tight times such as these you gotta use your head.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
In tight times such as these you gotta use your head.
Sig worthy.

If you run for office, I'm voting for you.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have too many Fleshlightesque objects in my proverbial closet for a viable political career, but your theoretical support is most appreciated.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
For 3000 USD you could get much more in Virtual Synths and soft sample libraries. Kronos is basically software made to run on a korg keyboard workstation.

If you like polysix etc get the korg plugins. You could basically find cheaper substitutes for all 9 engines on Kronos in virtual instruments.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Why is there any hardware out there that cannot be substituted with soft synth nowdays ?

Is there anyone out there that thinks hardware worth its money , nowdays ? Thousands of euros to get the most basic of functionalities ?

However in the end its how you feel about it , I still prefer to fire my motif and make music in just a few minutes. It does not sound better than my soft synths, its not as convinient as my soft synths , its not even a fraction as cheap as my soft synths. However I just love the fact that I am working with a real intrument, I find hard to resist making music on my motif or my andromeda.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

As a Oasys owner i am dissapointed, Kronos=Stagnation and why??

-the unintuitiv Sequencer is the same like in the Oasys, no pianorolleditor like in the M3

-downcut Karmaversion around 2.** the new Karma 3.0 goes to Yamaha
and Openlabs, what a shame for Korg

-only 8 Velocity switches, Kurzweil Keyboards has 32 switches for samples and more control about the Layers. In the Oasys(kronos) you have very less controll about the Samplelayers. Pitchmodulation on Samples goes only +- one Octave.

-outdated Synthengines, nobody needs an recycled Polysixemulation with a bandlimited mp3 soundcharacter, why not an advanced AL-1 with Sample or Wavetableintegration??

-Synthengines are seperate blocks , no modularity.

-the same Filtermodels with no changeable Saturation, the drive circut are sitting after the Filters it is not possible to set the Drivecircut between or before the Filters like in the Radias or Virus TI. So the same limitation
like in the original Oasys AL-1/HD-1. No different Drivecurves like in Waldorfs Blofeld.

-Outdated Envelopes compare to NI Absynth and Spectrasonics Omnisphere´s Multipoint envelopes with loopable stages.

-no per-voice Stepsequencers for the Legacy/Str-1/HD1 Synths. Mod7 and Al-1 has it, but why not for the other Syntengines??

-no really new Syntheseforms like KYMAs realtime Audiomorph and his Crossfilter.

-no Polyaftertouch with the internal Keyboard to play the Sounds like on the Yamaha CS-80.

I am not a Korg hater , as a Oasys owner and other Korg Synths in the past like Z1 and DW8000 i have the feeling that Innovation has stopped
and the fact that the People from the Industry hold back Technology from
the Public. Where are the Visions from the 90`s like Yamaha VP-1 and the original Oasys Prototype?? Why these permanently recycled , based
on conserative thinking and fast Profit thinking , fastliving Products??
I dont need useless TITTY-TAINMENT Products, where are the GROUNDBREAKING Technologys??
Old 14th January 2011
Quote:
If it comes with a free Fleshlight, I say go for it. heh
lol
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm of the exact same opinion, but I don't think it's aimed at us. There's still some people who don't like computers out there and they might find the concept interesting if the price tag doesn't make their eyes water too much. At least it'll make them blink less than the Oasys did. But it is cheeky of Korg to go out there and use the marketing language they do when they've mainly repackaged what they did 5+ years ago (on the Oasys) and added streaming from SSD.

If you watched the Korg launch event ( YouTube - Korg KRONOS Launch Event - NAMM 2011 ) at 41:30 Jordan Rudess actually tackles the question of why someone would choose Korg's Kronos and not computer software.

The "solid reason" (his words) he came up with is that, when he's playing live, he knows he's got the team at Korg backing up the product and that it's a cohesive musical instrument. Of course the sort of back up he'll get from Korg probably isn't what the average Joe might get. But he does, at least, score a point about it being cohesive. It's much easier to get things like Karma working well when it's done inside a fixed environment with known quantities, including the hardware controls and the limited software it runs.

If you asked me if I think that's worth the money then I'd laugh at you. heh But different people have different needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
Why is there any hardware out there that cannot be substituted with soft synth nowdays ?

Is there anyone out there that thinks hardware worth its money , nowdays ? Thousands of euros to get the most basic of functionalities ?
There must be or they wouldn't be making this product. But they definitely aren't selling in the numbers that they did 10 years ago. Its a shrinking market and it's only going to get smaller. I get the impression (right or wrong) that it's mostly older users who buy this stuff, maybe because they're more likely to have the money and are used to ways of doing things which mostly don't involve computers.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com

how much do you have to spend to get a computer/laptop that can run all those engines and polyphony and same time, plus cost of all those vsti, karma software, effects, samples, and a equivalent-grade 61-key keyboard?

$3000 is cheap for this one of a kind workstation.

let's say u spend $1K on PC, few hundred on audio interface, another 700 on a very good keyboard controller. and costs of VSTis ? what? 3000 is too expensive?

this forum is full of dummies
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
and apparently those dummies are full of fleshlights
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
...and a equivalent-grade 61-key keyboard?
So this is why Korg's controllers have cheap keyboards heh

Quote:
let's say you spend $1K on PC, few hundred on audio interface, another 700 on a very good keyboard controller. and costs of VSTis ? what? 3000 is too expensive?

But in the case of the computer, adding more storage space is easy. Adding more effects and different synthesizers afterwards can be done by yourself, instead of being at the mercy of Korg to develop something new. If I want a bigger screen, that's possible. If I want more knobs for something, that's possible. If I want another sequencer, also possible. Another MIDI/audio interface, that too.

A computer acts like a hub to connect things to, rather than a real self-contained device.

What you're paying for are the keys, the fact that you can shove this in a flightcase at once, and that you have only one purposefully limited device to worry about. Which is all good - I mean, this is basically an OASYS minus a few bits for less than half of the price.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
and apparently those dummies are full of fleshlights
incoming.....

whats a fleshlight ?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have 6 hardware synths including two motif racks all bought brand new back in the day. They're now worth a fraction of what I paid for them years ago 5-6 years ago. I would have been much happier with soft synths and maybe a virus ti today.

I think the Korg Kronos is no doubt a powerful complete synth/keyboard workstation. However, there's nothing special about it when you compare it to what's available in software today. Can you really compare the value of hardware vs software? Depends on your work flow. For me, I don't see myself wanting to use a workstation.

Using soft synths is potentially more environmentally friendly, and in my books, that's the trump card.

Regard
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search