The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2011
  #211
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
*A variety of exclusive Korg technologies drive the synth engines to provide astounding results - VMT, CMT, Physical Modeling, Digital Synthesis, Wave Sequencing, MDS, KARMA and more!

Ok, it does have Wave Sequencing according to that online store.

No more guess work boys and girls. At last Korg update their website and now it has ton of information about KRONOS

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=598

yes it has wave sequencing and actually its ton of it.

Wave Sequencing
First introduced on the Korg WAVESTATION, and used here as part of the HD-1, Wave Sequences play a series of samples over time, creating distinctive rhythmic timbres or smooth, complex evolving sounds. Additionally, step-sequencer modulation outputs allow Wave Sequences to control any modulate-able Program parameter.

MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
VPM/Waveshaping/PCM processing sound engine
Combine Variable Phase Modulation (VPM), wave-shaping, ring modulation, samples, and subtractive synthesis, plus a modular patch-panel system, and you have the MOD-7. Exceptionally versatile, it offers everything from classic FM keyboards, bells and basses (including the ability to import sounds from vintage DX synths) to rhythmic soundscapes and sparkling, epic pads. “Vast” sample-mangling capabilities, with incredible flexibility and power, let you create intensely rich processing environments: combine multiple stages of filtering, waveshaping, and ring modulation – even use samples as FM modulators – all patched together however you like.

Oh I am amazed, I am extremely amazed!!!

By the way the sequencer is 32 tracks, 16 midi and 16 audio.

It uses the open architecture like OASYS.

Hello , hello 30 GB onboard SSD , loads of samples loading very fast

me likes the 2 joysticks, nice , nice.....

and here is a bird eye view photo, its too big to post it directly here so here is the link

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/82850_l.jpg
Old 13th January 2011
  #212
Gear Addict
 

truly amazing if we correctly guessed the price. MORE amazing if we could see motif xf 30-40% cheaper ?
Old 13th January 2011
  #213
Gear Nut
 
upfineclouds's Avatar
 

The demo is fantastic! I had been thinking about using the plucked string module for programming Indian instruments especially the sitar, tampura and sarod, and the video even showed that.

The MOD7 is what interests me most in Kronos though. A sophisticated 61 keys modern FM synthesiser excites me more than anything analogue. Hope the keyboard has got after touch.

Kronos seems to be the one instrument that could easily make me rethink all my setup again.
Old 13th January 2011
  #214
Well, I WAS looking at an M3 & a Fantom G6.......

I'm now looking at a Chronos. Just depends on the price as to if I get a Fantom as well.....


This is a game-changer : Korg are back with something that is as impressive at the M1 was, but hopefully as cheap.

wow.

edit- just emailed Korg UK for a pricelist!
Old 13th January 2011
  #215
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfineclouds View Post
The demo is fantastic! I had been thinking about using the plucked string module for programming Indian instruments especially the sitar, tampura and sarod, and the video even showed that.
aha aha , yeah sure that is what its regular use is but watch this small quote

"You can also process samples and live audio input through the physical model—including audio feedback from any of the KRONOS effects!"

which means what ? Well the posters who do not care about physical modeling because they think its purely for acoustic sound they lost the train. If any sample and audio can pass through the physical modeling engine it can do wonder to make samples sound well.... more analogue!!! Mr Don Solaris has already posted some electronic sounds made with the physical modeling synth Yamaha VL1 , I assume that KRONOS is nowhere near VL1 but still the principle applies, the physical modeling engine can be used for pure electronic sounds.

Actually I am a bit experienced with this technique from using Virsyn TERA3 VST, it uses a similar technique its actually more limited than this of KRONOS. And I have used several times with REAKTOR too. It helped really juicy up loads of my electronic sounds and is one of the features I miss from my setup currently.
Old 13th January 2011
  #216
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
No more guess work boys and girls. At last Korg update their website and now it has ton of information about KRONOS

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=598

yes it has wave sequencing and actually its ton of it.

Wave Sequencing
First introduced on the Korg WAVESTATION, and used here as part of the HD-1, Wave Sequences play a series of samples over time, creating distinctive rhythmic timbres or smooth, complex evolving sounds. Additionally, step-sequencer modulation outputs allow Wave Sequences to control any modulate-able Program parameter.

MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
VPM/Waveshaping/PCM processing sound engine
Combine Variable Phase Modulation (VPM), wave-shaping, ring modulation, samples, and subtractive synthesis, plus a modular patch-panel system, and you have the MOD-7. Exceptionally versatile, it offers everything from classic FM keyboards, bells and basses (including the ability to import sounds from vintage DX synths) to rhythmic soundscapes and sparkling, epic pads. “Vast” sample-mangling capabilities, with incredible flexibility and power, let you create intensely rich processing environments: combine multiple stages of filtering, waveshaping, and ring modulation – even use samples as FM modulators – all patched together however you like.

Oh I am amazed, I am extremely amazed!!!

By the way the sequencer is 32 tracks, 16 midi and 16 audio.

It uses the open architecture like OASYS.

Hello , hello 30 GB onboard SSD , loads of samples loading very fast

me likes the 2 joysticks, nice , nice.....

and here is a bird eye view photo, its too big to post it directly here so here is the link

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/82850_l.jpg
That's actually amazing. I'm S-O-L-D.

FT: Left Nut for Tempest/Kronos combo
Old 13th January 2011
  #217
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfineclouds View Post

The MOD7 is what interests me most in Kronos though. A sophisticated 61 keys modern FM synthesiser excites me more than anything analogue.
This looks awesome. I like the touchscreen modular interface.
Sick.

And I agree with Kilon, that string physical modeling has many electronic
timbre possibilities.

I don't need the standard analog stuff personally, because I have that in
spades. I'm looking for a lush/organic musical instrument that sounds fresh
for pads and textures, and for something outside my main studio that is
plug + play, just sit down and jam out something.

The studio is WORK. As it should be...
sometimes it's fun to play.
Old 13th January 2011
  #218
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

*Wave Sequences play a series of samples over time, creating distinctive rhythmic timbres or smooth, complex evolving sounds.

*It uses the open architecture like OASYS.

*filtering, waveshaping, and ring modulation – even use samples as FM modulators – all patched together however you like


So the question I have is whether I can route the HD-1 into the MOD-7 and
use the wavesequence as the FM operator while performing the waveshaping.

If so, that's pretty damn close to Buchla 259e capabilities but polyphonic.
Old 13th January 2011
  #219
Gear Addict
 

its 2999 at novamusik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th January 2011
  #220
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardinen View Post
I really like the retro clean look.
+1


Just noticed it can import DX-7 patches and AKAI S1000/S3000 format samples. Kudos to Korg. thumbsup
Old 13th January 2011
  #221
Gear Addict
 

Wow, the Oasys peaked my interest but this thing just seems unreal. I may even consider ditching my Triton ProX, MS2000, and CX3 for it. Probably not but maybe.

There's an 88 key too!! If the piano sounds can compete with Ivory I might be cleaning house soon.
Old 13th January 2011
  #222
with import taxes (VAT) - that's about £2200 in the UK....

bl00dy hell.
Old 13th January 2011
  #223
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
with import taxes (VAT) - that's about £2200 in the UK....

bl00dy hell.
that's good , after watching the video I was thinking of figures around £4000
Old 13th January 2011
  #224
that's what I was fearing after seeing the video too.

But working from the $3000 figure. Just tack on the VAT, and that's where I got the idea from.
Old 13th January 2011
  #225
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Ok then, analog or no analog I can definitly see it's use as a performance synths and as a replacement for some RAM, CPU and VST issues in the studio. And it almost looks more like a synth than a work station, that helps
Old 13th January 2011
  #226
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

I find it boring. Looks like an M1 beautified.

Old 13th January 2011
  #227
Gear Maniac
 
Skallawa's Avatar
 

Here are the prices!!!!

61 - $2,999 (M3 feel)
73 - $3,499 (hammer action)
88 - $3,799 (hammer action)
Old 13th January 2011
  #228
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
..Looks like an M1 beautified.
Indeed.

Not exactly high tweakability if you like dedicated knobs, but at the same time probably a tweakers dream with the LCD-layout. Looks like an EICAS :

Old 13th January 2011
  #229
Lives for gear
 
DarkPlasma's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallawa View Post
Here are the prices!!!!

61 - $2,999 (M3 feel)
73 - $3,499 (hammer action)
88 - $3,799 (hammer action)
Are these the MSRPs or the MAPs?
Old 13th January 2011
  #230
Gear Nut
 
gardinen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallawa View Post
Here are the prices!!!!

61 - $2,999 (M3 feel)
73 - $3,499 (hammer action)
88 - $3,799 (hammer action)
That's quite alright. Pricier (spellcheck?) than Roland and Yamaha but hopefully worth the premium.

Edit: Actually noticed that the 61 keycosts about the same as an Yamaha XF6. My latest workstation purchase was a Roland Fantom X6 back in 2005. Maybe it's time for a upgrade :D
Old 13th January 2011
  #231
Gear Maniac
 
Skallawa's Avatar
 

MAP. I just placed a pre-order at Nova. I have been looking for a workstation. Think I found the proper piece.
Old 13th January 2011
  #232
Lives for gear
I am soooooo buying one!!!!!!!!
Old 13th January 2011
  #233
Lives for gear
 
omegaomega's Avatar
 

I think it IS a game changer...
Finally something professional coming from Korg!
From the first videos it seems it doesn't sound SO much different than the M3 (probably identical...) and probably the XF sounds better...
But given the new synthesis methods vs the standard S&S of the Motif we must listen to it more thoroughly to actually see how it really sounds. Certainly the possibilities seem endless with so many different synthesis methods and the many combinations you can do with them.

It really seems like the first really new and unique 21st century workstation. I might buy one if the price is up to 2.500 euros max. I 'm mostly excited of the FM/Wavestation synth and that it can import DX syx. It just seems so much more than a rompler!

One more video, longer but not so good quality
YouTube - NAMM 2011 - Korg Krono First Look Demonstration
Old 13th January 2011
  #234
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 

Wow, when quite a few people in this site get excited about a workstation, you know Korg's got a winner in their hands
Old 13th January 2011
  #235
Lives for gear
Next month eBay is going to be packed to capacity with m3's, Motifs and Fantoms... heh
Old 13th January 2011
  #236
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Wow, when quite a few people in this site get excited about a workstation, you know Korg's got a winner in their hands
I have to admit, workstations normally leave me cold, but I can see they did their homework here.

Hell, I might even have to get one
Old 13th January 2011
  #237
Gear Maniac
 
Skallawa's Avatar
 

Nova's giving great deals on the pre-order prices. Save $200-$400
Old 14th January 2011
  #238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
That's actually amazing. I'm S-O-L-D.

FT: Left Nut for Tempest/Kronos combo
bwaahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
+1


Just noticed it can import DX-7 patches and AKAI S1000/S3000 format samples. Kudos to Korg. thumbsup
that is FANTASTIC. implications and applications of this fact are humongous...

i wonder how would one go about loading something custom sampled, you have mapped out in Kontakt.. .. hope one can import key ranges/assignments/velocity sw data..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I have to admit, workstations normally leave me cold, but I can see they did their homework here.

Hell, I might even have to get one
my thoughts exactly. and 73 weighted version mmmm ..... i can see it as very capable multi-purpose rompler/synth/epiano in live situation, and also as quite versatile digital synth in the studio.


good job Korg. let's just wait and see how it sounds first hand.. im most eager to find out how will the electric pianos fare under my fingertips.. and fm.. and wavesequencing. ms20 and polysix emul dont interest me that much.


EDIT: acoustic piano sounds stunning on them demos on korg site
Old 14th January 2011
  #239
Jet
Gear Maniac
 
Jet's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
“Vast” sample-mangling capabilities, with incredible flexibility and power
Oh no they din't.
Old 14th January 2011
  #240
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Oh no they din't.
I think they threw down the gauntlet.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
champ / Product Alerts older than 2 months
69
tyler477 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
TobyToby / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
2A Batterie / So much gear, so little time
11
Kaneepa / So much gear, so little time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump