The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

This is a PC underneath isn't it? Hence why it's so flexible?

Edit, just found this interview about the Linux based Oasys: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/orei...org-oasys.html
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Can someone confirm that the AL-1 is modelling, or is it actually analog?
From the wikipedia Oasys page:

AL-1: A 96-note polyphonic virtual analog synthesizer (84 notes in previous versions of the OS)

I already have an Oasys, so nothing here so far strikes my interest.

I predicted the Kronos would be yet another VA under $1000 though, so at least its not that. On the plus side, if you like workstations, this seems to be the top end (at least in price) of them currently that you can buy new. On the minus side, sounds like roughly the same Korg sequencer of the last 15 years. If so, they haven't responded to arguably the biggest wish of their customers - outside of analogue of course :-) .
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolrusPl View Post
I am dissapoint.

Its dfegadKORG, get used to disappointment.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

It looks extremely interesting to me. Some serious FM engine + virtual Polysix/MS20? I'm electrified in fact. stike
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
as most DX7s were going back to service with still their factory presets intact ( I read somewhere that they were 95% of them).
That statement has been used about the Prophet 5 also, it seems to be an urban myth.

That aside, very few people programmed their own DX7 sounds, but that led to a blooming third party sound market.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
That statement has been used about the Prophet 5 also, it seems to be an urban myth.
It's not a myth. It's fact and that information comes directly from Yamaha.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hehe that is Definetely KORG ultimate answer to those claiming OASYS "dead" and "failure".

The big question is the price. If Kronos is a replacement of M3 then it can really be the best product for 2011 and a huge blow for both XF and PC3. Those spec are just incredible, huge screen, 12 gb content ,all those engines .... wow... just ... wow !!!
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, so instead of taking the Wavestation and putting it into the computer,
they took their plug-ins and put them into a keyboard.

The piano, EP... not my thing really.

Does it have wave sequencing? That'd be cool with the sampler + synth
engines...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Ok, so instead of taking the Wavestation and putting it into the computer,
they took their plug-ins and put them into a keyboard.

The piano, EP... not my thing really.

Does it have wave sequencing? That'd be cool with the sampler + synth
engines...
Should not be wave sequencing easy to emulate with todays workstations ? For example xs, has 8 elements per voice * 16 tracks , gives you 128 waveforms to morph between them and then resample them to one sound.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
I hope it has more than 9 knobs if it's another 5 knob VA (or any other synthesis type for that matter) consider me not interested.
I hope it has no knobs and simply interfaces with your brain
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

wake me up when monotron pro hits the streets.

(it actually looks pretty nice as far as workstations go, but alas they do absolutely nothing for me...)
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

They said prepare to be amazed.

I am amazed.

That they figured we'd be amazed.

Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Should not be wave sequencing easy to emulate with todays workstations ? For example xs, has 8 elements per voice * 16 tracks , gives you 128 waveforms to morph between them and then resample them to one sound.
Not as easy as the Wavestation, where it's one program with a synced
mini-sequencer that changes pitch based upon the note.

Does the XS do that? I haven't used it.
Old 13th January 2011
well i could quote myself here saying, 'i told you so' but actually this looks quite bloody powerful if you ask me. very interested in the physical modelling engine / Karma. and if you can take a sound from one engine (say wavestation) and import it as a sample in another engine edit: say the physical modelling engine then that is serious sythesis right there. somehow i doubt you can.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Now that I look at this again, I think this might be the next-generation Oasys....

7k anyone?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
well i could quote myself here saying, 'i told you so' but actually this looks quite bloody powerful if you ask me. very interested in the physical modelling engine / Karma. and if you can take a sound from one engine (say wavestation) and import it as a sample in another engine (Karma) then that is serious sythesis right there. somehow i doubt you can.
Karma sends midi. You can't import a sample "into" Karma.
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
Karma sends midi. You can't import a sample "into" Karma.
oh you cant? i thought it was a physical modelling engine
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh you cant? i thought it was a physical modelling engine
No, Karma just sends midi. So you can create a sound in one of the other 9 engines, and trigger it with Karma. Its like an arpeggiator, only on steroids.
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
No, Karma just sends midi. So you can create a sound in one of the other 9 engines, and trigger it with Karma. Its like an arpeggiator, only on steroids.
oh.. well in that case, i'll edit my post. thanks.heh
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Right now it reads like Komplete (which is quite powerful).

I'd have to hear it, play with it to see if the experience is
different.

I bet the general gigging crowd will dig this. Church players,
back up bands for pop stars. If it's priced right, I suspect
it will sell well.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Not as easy as the Wavestation, where it's one program with a synced
mini-sequencer that changes pitch based upon the note.

Does the XS do that? I haven't used it.
I think you can do this even with my ES from inside the edit voice. But I will have to check it out. Unless you mean the arpeggiator, which in that case not only it changes note put also have chord preservation, means that the chords remain intact and follow the root note properly.

My ES do this and of course XS will do this as well. And I think most workstations do this as well.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh.. well in that case, i'll edit my post. thanks.heh

dont facepalm yourself just yet, actually you were right, you just got the name wrong. There is a physical modeling engine inside , it is this

STR-1 Plucked String Synthesize r: new generation of modeling. You can choose from the material of the rope, until the tension, the execution (if pick, rub with finger ,etc)
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you can do this even with my ES from incid the edit voice. But I will have to check it out. Unless you mean the arpeggiator, which in that case not only it changes note put also have chord preservation, means that the chords remain intact and follow the root note properly.

My ES do this and of course XS will do this as well. And I think most workstations do this as well.
I haven't used a workstation since the Triton.

The Wavestation, it was similar to an arpeggiator, but would cycle through
300 waveforms. You could chose them, set their length, pitch independently.

I've been contemplating a new keyboard, workstation... this looks promising.
I'd like to see what the Kurzweil K3k can do and if it's a year away, I could
hold out.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Says here it should be available March 2011!!!
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

Pretty nice:

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=598

I really like the retro clean look.
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

Im having some mixed opinions sofar atleast. The base PCM rom seems to sound very similar to my M3, the virtual instruments would be an nice addon. String pluck modelling...(not so useful for me).
But the live-gig mode seems awesome sofar , but 73keys with hammer action... why...why!, i love the keybed on my m3 73 and 61 keys is abit limiting and getting a hammer action is so much extra weight my back will break
Balanced outputs = Nice!
Screen seems very nice and even more user-friendly editing of huge combis etc. with the added space (aka resolution) compared to the old 320x resolution on the old workstations.

Disclaimer: these are just my personal opinions.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

I like the organic sounds (piano, rhodes). Organ, as usual from a workstation, not so much. I have yet to hear a better organ sound from a workstation than the VB3 plugin from GSi. (Obviously dedicated Hammond replicas not include )

But the dealbreaker would be if you could use the synth as an audiointerface with low latency, so that you could combine it with Mainstage, without additional interfaces.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty impressed. I think this takes the workstation concept to a new level (well, the affordable workstation, at least... I expect this to be 3000/3500/4000 dollars when it hits the stores in the US for 61/73/88 keys).

I'm just glad they're still doing something pro in hardware...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

*A variety of exclusive Korg technologies drive the synth engines to provide astounding results - VMT, CMT, Physical Modeling, Digital Synthesis, Wave Sequencing, MDS, KARMA and more!

Ok, it does have Wave Sequencing according to that online store.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow... This is pretty damn awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search