The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I am dissapoint.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think the FM engine is supposed to be "MOD-7" isn't it?

"NOD-7" sounds like a New Age chord cliche generator for purposes of sonic sedation.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
"Mastering tools", does it mean it could record audio? a pro-sumer multitrack midi+audio recording ?
I'd be down for that!

Quote:
prediction on price?
Well, I don't think it's gonna be cheap. But I don't think they can afford to go into Oasys territory, either. My best guess (street prices):

61 key: $3.5K
76 key: $4K
88 key: $4.5K

I hope I've overpriced these a bit!!
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I think the FM engine is supposed to be "MOD-7" isn't it?

"NOD-7" sounds like a New Age chord cliche generator for purposes of sonic sedation.
And I don't think I've ever heard of "Rodan Rudess." I guess he's a famous keyboard player. heh
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

Bah, no Korg komponent system...
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

M3 is around $2.4K

so I'm guess, it'll be at least twice the price, as to not hurt M3's sale ?
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

still very curious about the "pro mastering tools"

compressor, limiter, mixer, etc... all in one?

will be revealed 10AM pacific
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
M3 is around $2.4K

Geez, it hasn't even been announced "officially" yet. It might be a bit soon to try to guess the price based on dealers advertised M3 prices.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
M3 is around $2.4K

I'd wager that the M3 will be phased out in short order.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
It shouldn't be more expensive that the Yamaha Motif XF, if Korg wants a decent shot at capturing the high-end workstation market. Spec-wise, it makes the XF look like a toy and brings the hardware workstation totally in high-end VSTi territory. Lots of M3's soon to be on eBay... heh
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
M3 is around $2.4K

I've seen brand-new M3-61's selling for around $1,500 lately.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

It shouldn't be more expensive that the Yamaha Motif XF, if Korg wants a decent shot at capturing the high-end workstation market. Spec-wise, it makes the XF look like a toy and brings the hardware workstation totally in high-end VSTi territory. Lots of M3's soon to be on eBay...

damn. gas all over again.
M3's "official" price is still around $2.4K worldwide.
by looking at the pictures, it seems to be smaller than motif XF and G6, which is definitely good news.
your comments make sense. they are releasing 3 versions, good form factor, meaning it's for mass market. let the competition begin
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I've seen brand-new M3-61's selling for around $1,500 lately.
They were selling them a while ago...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Price wise, no more than 2.5k for the 61-key, is my guess...
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
Price wise, no more than 2.5k for the 61-key, is my guess...
that will cause another M1 effect
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
that will cause another M1 effect
Perhaps, but I don't see this selling for 3.5k. I could be wrong though.
Old 13th January 2011
so it looks like a cut-down OASYS with another module and no CDrw?

Quote:
One of the most exciting new features is that you can move from one set to another without interruption of sound (so if you keep notes of the previous set, still playing …)
Just like the Fantom G.
can't see the aforementioned VGA out though (unless I'm blind - a distinct possibility!)

Will be intrigued about the price though - I'm in the market for an M3 in the next month or so. This could hold back my decision.
Unless the M3 drops like a stone in price.

Can't see it being less that £2000 in the UK. 61-note M3ex retails @ £1700 over here.
Motif and Fantom sell for circa £2100.
With the synthesis engine armoury on this (and Korg lauding the KRONOS as the de-facto "must have" machine - of which the marketing department are BOUND to heh ) the price must be close to £2300 ish. Maybe higher.

So maybe the M3 is safe for a while - circa £600 price difference is a lot (think about the price difference between the M50 & M3).

Also bridges the price chasm (slightly) between the M3 and the OASYS.

Will be interested in NAMM today!!!

Dan
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how that VPM engine holds against SY99 and FS1R ?
Old 13th January 2011
■9 synthesis engines on a single workstation, available in 61, 76 and 88 keys. The engines are:
■SGX-1 Premium piano: Piano German with more than 4 GB in samples. 8 layers, choice of opening angle of the tail of the piano.
■MDS EP-1 Electric piano, electric pianos (with sound “signature” by George Duke, Herbie Hancock Rodan Rudess or others)
■Tonewheel CX-3 organ n: integrating technology famed cx-3 in the kronos. Drawbars controllable from its faders. Leslie Posilibidad to adjust the joystick, from speed to the position you just rotate …
■MS20-ex Legacy Analog Collection: emulation of vintage Korg MS20.
■Ex Polysix Legacy Analog Collection: Polysix emulation.
■AL-1 Analog Synthesizer.
■NOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
■STR-1 Plucked String Synthesize r: new generation of modeling. You can choose from the material of the rope, until the tension, the execution (if pick, rub with finger ,etc)
■HD-1 High Definition Synthesize r: from all types of samples.
■Account with a set of 16 “sets” may be, from Programs, to vans, to sequences. What makes the live performance much easier and full of infinite possibilities. One of the most exciting new features is that you can move from one set to another without interruption of sound (so if you keep notes of the previous set, still playing …)
■It eliminates the concept appears rompler and integration / provision of more than 12 gb of content hosted on a hard disk SSD. 1 GB of RAM.
■Has integrated USB connection to your computer, not just save / edit, but also as a USB interface with 2 inputs and 2 outputs.
■Section 16 effects available. 9-band Equalizer general. Flexible Routing. Professional mastering tools.
■16-track sequencer.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I've my doubts about that, but it already exists for quite a while (5 years or so now already), so you'd have to keep that in mind too.
Actually it was yamaha that killed DX7 , by mixing it with other forms of synthesis. They did that because they realised that eventhough people loved FM sounds they did not like to make them as most DX7s were going back to service with still their factory presets intact ( I read somewhere that they were 95% of them).

FM is a probably the hardest form of synthesis , thats no secret. But still the fact that it survived instead of its difficult of use, its quite a miracle.

Well regarding FM8 at least when I was still buying electronic music magazines between 2005 to 2008 it was still on top 5 VSTs in charts(Computer Music . Also I know that other FM synths have been succesful as well, like OCTOPUS which I own and TOXIC which recently unlike FM8 had an update. So people definetely still like and want FM synths.

But even I prefer FM (FM was where I started learning sound synthesis since 2003, TOXIC 1 VST ) mixed with other type of synthesis , and nowdays I rarely go more than 3 ops. Its just plain easier, faster and simpler.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
■SGX-1 Premium piano: Piano German with more than 4 GB in samples. 8 layers, choice of opening angle of the tail of the piano.

■It eliminates the concept appears rompler and integration / provision of more than 12 gb of content hosted on a hard disk SSD. 1 GB of RAM.
12Gb content, oh boy , it appears the day has come. That will skyrocket the quality of the accoustic samples.

The huge question is

How much it will cost ?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

AL-1 thumbsup

MOD-7 thumbsup

Is the screen bigger than the one in the M50?

Price? .......................
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
  • MS20-ex Legacy Analog Collection: emulation of vintage Korg MS20. / Polysix Legacy Analog Collection: Polysix emulation.
So what!?! Get the VST! KORG, you've just demonstrated you can still make the REAL thing. When will this emulation bs end? Halloooo?

Oh, and this AL-1 Analog Synthesizer is acually modelling, correct? Or is it actually analog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
...and I was still wishing for an analog...!heh
I guess they're still fine-tuning the MS-30..
Old 13th January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Wow! Roland U-20 style buttons.

Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I like the styling. Looks solid and kinda unstated. One thing I hated when I played the Fantoms was all the bling lights and colours. Took my attention away from the sound itself. (like being at an amusement arcade heh )

I think if the price is right, this workstation with a strong emphesis on synthesis could be a big winner for them.

I always liked the idea of a Z2. This thing has AL-1, MOD-7 + the Legacy stuff, .....and then all the workstation stuff which tbh doesn't really interest me other than its intigration with Karma.

Hopefully also it will be upgradable, meaning Korg may develope even more engines/fx.

Other than the question of price, I think this is a very interesting product.
Old 13th January 2011
I do hope that the Karma engine is like the M3 - this was one of the aspects that was pointing me towards an M3 purchase.

I'm just waiting to see how much it is now. (and to play one of course - it could be shockingly bad!!!heh )

Dan
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Can someone confirm that the AL-1 is modelling, or is it actually analog?
Old 13th January 2011
I would be shocked if it's real analogue - as a 1/9th of a synthesiser, it's BOUND to be modelling.

However, does OASYS have real analogue, or is it modelling? There could be your answer.....
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I think if the price is right, this workstation with a strong emphesis on synthesis could be a big winner for them.

I always liked the idea of a Z2. This thing has AL-1, MOD-7 + the Legacy stuff, .....and then all the workstation stuff which tbh doesn't really interest me other than its intigration with Karma.

Hopefully also it will be upgradable, meaning Korg may develope even more engines/fx.

Other than the question of price, I think this is a very interesting product.
+1

even moreso, if on top of the various synthesis, this MDS EP-1 electric piano (whatever that means) is GREAT, and the new multi gigabyte piano.. it is a sure winner. as it will atract both the piano- and synth- crowd, and everything in between.

looking forward to trying one to see how it actually sounds. like that it has a lot of RAM.. makes it possible to use it live to handle custom samples ... all tweakable thru its synthesis and effects engine..

this is a true Oasys offspring, what i hoped M3 would be when first announced.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search