The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceship View Post
From Matrix Synth:

So something like the Arturia Origin. What are the other engines?

I'm assuming:

Radias
MS2000
?
?
That would get me interested.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
From Matrix Synth:

Update via Juan Vilchez in the comments: "Hi! Korg Kronos it's as you suggested something like the Arturia Origin.

Kronos = Time, legacy, heritage...

Why I am so sure?

Check this out:
Compare 000:Vaporization Pad on Korg Legacy Cell with the main sound used on Kronos teaser.

http://www.juanvilchez.es/vaporization_pad.mp3

9 could be the number of legacy synth engines present on this machine. So far I count 5 (Polysix, MS20, Mono/Poly, M1 and Wavestation). Which are the remaining 4?"

Quote:
So something like the Arturia Origin. What are the other engines?

I'm assuming:

Radias
MS2000
?
?
Radias
MS2000
DW8000
Z1/Prophecy
........that maketh stike9stike
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Guru

But both the MS2000 and the Radias contain DWGS which is the guts of the DW8000, so there's still room for one more.

Straight up OASYS VPM would be neat, but of course completely infeasible; nobody cares about FM synthesis anymore.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
But both the MS2000 and the Radias contain DWGS which is the guts of the DW8000, so there's still room for one more.
This is a good point, but if the instrument has a major graphical element, I would imagine the DW8000, operationally and graphicaly would be different enough possibly.

I guess another contender would be the poor old Poly61 heh

Actually there are loads of others

PS Series, Maxi/DV800, 700S, 770, Delta, Trident, MS50 etc etc etc

....which could suggest its open ended?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

How about.......1.wavestation 2.M1 3.MS20 4.Polysix 5. Mono/Poly .....6. Trident 7. PS-3300 8. DW 8000 or Lambda 9.Radias . If it is going to be a Arturia origin type thing then this would be obvious to me.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
How about.......1.wavestation 2.M1 3.MS20 4.Polysix 5. Mono/Poly .....6. Trident 7. PS-3300 8. DW 8000 or Lambda 9.Radias . If it is going to be a Arturia origin type thing then this would be obvious to me.
Or all of the different Electribes on one engine? How many are there? (Nine?). My guess is that it will be just another workstation type of synth.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

Do keep in mind that you're all basing your wishlists on some random observation by someone on a blog.

Yes? heh
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do keep in mind that you're all basing your wishlists on some random observation by someone on a blog.

Yes? heh
Yep, prepare to be disappointed! heh
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

...but wait. If I'm prepared for disappointment, I can't be disappointed anymore, can I?

Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
nobody cares about FM synthesis anymore.
Report!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

The Triton line was a huge moneymaker for Korg.

The M3 line is/was not exactly a huge moneymaker, and certainly a disappointing project in many ways for Korg.

The Kronos is surely an attempt to be the new Triton for Korg, with the improved sound and multiple sound generation technologies of the Oasys at a real world pricepoint.

They'll continue to try to sell off as many of the M3 line as they can (watch for some major rebates and price chopping this year) and offer the Kronos as a simultaneous product line for several more months but at a significantly higher price until the M3 completely exhausts itself (and is gradually completely overshadowed by the Kronos).

Prognostication is good clean fun for the whole family!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

So uh, what about that M50 then.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

What about it?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
The M3 line is/was not exactly a huge moneymaker, and certainly a disappointing project in many ways for Korg.
Yeah, the M3 was never a top seller (and it's a pity, because as a pure synth, it sure beats the Motif and the Fantom), but the M50 is really ubiquitous and I believe that its sales more than made up for the R&D on Oasys/M3.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Right, the M50 is a great looking and sounding entry level rompler that has wide appeal and is by all accounts a very successful product.

But the Oasys project certainly wasn't necessary for its technology; and, you could hardly call it innovative in any way -- it's just a good solid keyboard that has been keeping the cash coming in where the M3 has not.

The M50 (or something just like it with a different name) will be around for quite a while probably.

I agree that the synthesis depth of the M3 exceeds the Motif and Fantom in most ways (I have both an M3 and a Motif XS); maybe if it sounded and looked and felt (in terms of sliders and buttons) as good as the Oasys it would have been a stronger competitor vs the Motif, hard to say.

As a flagship product the M3 just folded under the pressure of competing with the Motif, whereas a keyboard that has the visual and tactile appeal of a Triton and the sound quality and complexity of an Oasys has perhaps a fighting chance in today's market.

It might even smoothly load and play VSTs and integrate them seamlessly into its OS, who knows?

The Oasys technology isn't just going to be orphaned -- most of it will continue in the Kronos.

Or the Kronos is just a cool new suite of iPad apps.

Either way, Korg does need to step up its game in terms of making products that look and feel thoroughly professional and not toy-like with plasticky buttons and sliders and cute little keys for Christmas elves and circus midgets.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
nobody cares about FM synthesis anymore.
yeah sure, that is why FM8 is one of the most popular softsynths out there, that is why most hardware and software vas come with fm onboard.

Concerning KRONOS I am pretty certain that it will be a new workstation and a replacement for m3 since yamaha and kurzweil have released new workstations and korgs has not. I hope it comes with flash ram, that would make it a perfect candidate as a replacement for my motif es. XF is just too damn expensive. Especially if you include the 2 gb upgrade.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Right, the M50 is a great looking and sounding entry level rompler that has wide appeal and is by all accounts a very successful product.
I was actually seeing it as a Triton replacement - it's got fewer "gimmicks" than the M3 (no Karma, no Radias expansion, (apparently) no Kaoss-pad screen) so by that account it should be a pretty big hit.

I mean, it's not like you really want to hunt down sampling RAM, NOS 72-pin 96 MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
yeah sure, that is why FM8 is one of the most popular softsynths out there
I've my doubts about that, but it already exists for quite a while (5 years or so now already), so you'd have to keep that in mind too.

Quote:
that is why most hardware and software vas come with fm onboard.
I'm talking about DX-style FM, 4 ops minimum - not really comparable with the FM options VAs offer.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, you rock!! Thanks for your info about this, Eventide, etc..

Now, if you'll excuse me, im going to look at the specs!! thumbsup
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

thumbsup

But, no Wavestation in there?

Blech....
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I like it....the synth engines I mean. Sounds interesting. Hope their all true-modeled and not PCM.

The buttons and sliders def look high-end, like the Oasys.

Looks like Karma is in there too, hope there will be a V3.

Now, the price...heh
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's definitely solid and sharp looking.

I farking deplore the sliders on my M3 -- these, however, look great.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

The range of the sliders looks the same though, I wish they would make them 100 mm. Thats one of the annoyances on my M3 is sometimes you get filter-stepping because the range is so narrow.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
The range of the sliders looks the same though, I wish they would make them 100 mm.
Yeah, these 60 mm sliders are all too common -- it's hard to be subtle with short throw sliders.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, these 60 mm sliders are all too common -- it's hard to be subtle with short throw sliders.
I think the M3's are 40mm.
Old 13th January 2011
Korg Kronos!

• 9 synthesis engines on a single workstation, available in 61, 76 and 88 keys. The engines are:
  • SGX-1 Premium piano: Piano German with more than 4 GB in samples. 8 layers, choice of opening angle of the tail of the piano.
  • MDS EP-1 Electric piano, electric pianos (with sound “signature” by George Duke, Herbie Hancock Rodan Rudess or others)
  • Tonewheel CX-3 organ n: integrating technology famed cx-3 in the kronos. Drawbars controllable from its faders. Leslie Posilibidad to adjust the joystick, from speed to the position you just rotate …
  • MS20-ex Legacy Analog Collection: emulation of vintage Korg MS20.
  • Ex Polysix Legacy Analog Collection: Polysix emulation.
  • AL-1 Analog Synthesizer.
  • NOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer
  • STR-1 Plucked String Synthesize r: new generation of modeling. You can choose from the material of the rope, until the tension, the execution (if pick, rub with finger ,etc)
  • HD-1 High Definition Synthesize r: from all types of samples.
  • Account with a set of 16 “sets” may be, from Programs, to vans, to sequences. What makes the live performance much easier and full of infinite possibilities. One of the most exciting new features is that you can move from one set to another without interruption of sound (so if you keep notes of the previous set, still playing …)
  • It eliminates the concept appears rompler and integration / provision of more than 12 gb of content hosted on a hard disk SSD. 1 GB of RAM.
  • Has integrated USB connection to your computer, not just save / edit, but also as a USB interface with 2 inputs and 2 outputs.
  • Section 16 effects available. 9-band Equalizer general. Flexible Routing. Professional mastering tools.
  • 16-track sequencer.
and I was still wishing for an analog...!heh
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Details here:

MATRIXSYNTH: KORG KRONOS Details

In my opinion, Korg just spanked the hell out of the workstation market. First Korg product that's ever piqued my interest.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like "Oasys II," a bit trimmed down, but with some upgraded features (surely the sequencer will be at least to M3 spec; also looks like there's a VGA out). If it's priced within reach of the "serious hobbyist," this could destroy.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
I think the M3's are 40mm.
Even worse then.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

"Mastering tools", does it mean it could record audio? a pro-sumer multitrack midi+audio recording ?

prediction on price?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search