The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th January 2011
tbh, the sound set doesn't bother be at all. I couldn't care less about what sounds come with it, although the Piano could be useful, I suppose.
I'll be diving "balls deep" into the edit window as soon as I turn it on

FWIW, many years back, I went out and bought a Yamaha SY77 full the full UK RRP (£2700), and the presets are shocking. Talk about a blind-luck buy. But I had faith in the editing power of the machine.
Now it is/was (until I get a replacement due to flood damage) full of my own presets now, and a VERY distinctive machine that I turn to in most of my productions.
(If I want presets, I'll go to FM7 & 8 )

If this Kronos is as popular as the hype seems to make it out to be, then it's going to be all over the latest productions. A bit like the JV1080, D50, DX7 & M1 were, and other similar machines.
It will be a preset-basher's wet-dream. The only way to overcome the A&R guy's, "oh, you've got a Kronos", will be to edit and make your own sounds.

This will the fun bit.

And as soon as I can transfer over my Performance setups, the Kronos will be out in the field, gigging. After all, there's an investment to pay back!! heh
Old 30th January 2011
Gear Head
my take on the kronos

Looks great. Probably sounds great too.

I can understand why many musicians will take to this board. Its a true instrument. Carefully thought out, with features such as seamless patch changing which allow you non-interrupted performance and exploration.

For how long have gigging musicians put up with meager roms and limited piano samples? Tons of Tritons, Motifs, and Fantoms later, we finally have a workstation that has a killer piano.

I can't see how the Kronos won't be a success. The majority of it's market will be gigging, studio and session musicians. It opens up a world to them.

This group of musicians now understand what many of the computer users / gearslutz have understood for a long time. Simply put, playback of samples is not enough on its own to allow for nuanced expression. Combine this with modelling, or replace it entirely with synthesis and you are going to be able to create richer timbres.

The price is dead on, and is what people have been paying for workstations the whole time. It may even tempt some of us dedicated to software, because we can appreciate sometimes how cool it is to have something that isn't a computer do all the things a computer is capable of.

Years of mucking around with various gear and software has led me to at least this insight.

Have less. Master a few instruments / software / interfaces. You have only so much time to become an expert. For some us faster than others.

Personally, I know where my limitations are now (my wallet). My environment is now Reason and a small keyboard controller. The nice thing is I can compare it to Kronos and think to myself "i can pull off some stuff with my kit that Kronos can't touch".

That's only because I've learned how.
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Are there any Oasys users that can tell me about Mod-7? How obtuse is the interface? Isn't the sy-77/99 the only other synth that can FM samples? I've been really into FM synths lately....
Old 10th February 2011
Deleted 46dc28f
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater
Are there any Oasys users that can tell me about Mod-7? How obtuse is the interface?
Mod-7 details and interface examples here: http://www.korg.co.uk/products/works.../ws_oasys8.asp

Edit: Here's a virtual GUI for the Oasys which includes MOD-7: http://www.karma-lab.com/oasys/gui/O...tual_GUI2.html

It seems Mod-7 will allow you to create custom FM algorithms using the patch panel. I won't be getting rid of my FS1R, but I can't wait to get my hands on a Kronos 61.
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

not made by me. Currently the best demos of KRONOS I found so far on youtube. Seriously whats up with all the crappy recordings ? Make my ES sound like a gem...

Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have had the Kronos now for a day, and it is amazing.Worth every penny for the 2217.91 I spent.
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaman View Post
I have had the Kronos now for a day, and it is amazing.Worth every penny for the 2217.91 I spent.
That's much cheaper than I've seen... was there a preorder cheapness I missed? Or ShadyBay? NAMM closeout?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

That is Euros and I imported mine from America and paid VAt. Considering they will go for 2995 EU on sale, I am happy with my purchase.
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
That is Euros and I imported mine from America and paid VAt. Considering they will go for 2995 EU on sale, I am happy with my purchase.
Well, that explains it, then.
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seriously ? Where are u from ?? wonna consider doing the same
Old 16th June 2011
Lives for gear

Germany.
Old 17th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
not made by me. Currently the best demos of KRONOS I found so far on youtube. Seriously whats up with all the crappy recordings ? Make my ES sound like a gem...

Sounds sick!

Can't wait to get mine!!!!
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I just realized something.

I think it was the Nova Musik demo, where Rich, *I Believe* said that the Polysix and MS20 are the legacy ones? Meaning the Digital Legacy Collection?

I'm curious, did they just take the same code and put it in Kronos? If thats the case, I have mixed feelings now, and I don't know if im going to buy it anymore.

I only care about the synth engines...and if MS20 / Polysix, are the same ones as in the legacy collection. Then the only thing left is AL-1 and MOD-7...I don't think thats worth 3k.

If all were *brand new* engines, like the Radias for example, then its worth it.

Does anyone know?
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Fan noise is a deal breaker...

I think Korg could learn a thing or too from modern video cards. They are far more powerful and run hotter than the CPU in the Kronos and yet many mid range ones can run passive.
Use a heatpipe from the CPU connected to a big external heatsink on the back -sorted and silent....

Having no vents, and tiny fast spinning fan is not smart
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Guru
It reminds me a lot of a the M1 ... not so ironically. Is that a good thing?
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
It reminds me a lot of a the M1 ... not so ironically. Is that a good thing?
No.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Guru
"oh and that's a bad miss"
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Each to his own. It is an amazing synth, not just workstation. You get out of it what you put into it. I will say this, it covers a lot of sonic ground, and it would definitely be my desert island synth if I could just have one for my compositional needs.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Maniac

I've had mine for a short while now, and I love the sounds. Sonically, it's got lots to play with. Keys are aces. I love the weight and feel.

BUT....

I don't like the division of the banks into HD-1 and EXi.

Having everything slam-full preloaded is a bit of a pain. I REALLY need a good librarian application to help me move and manage the thing.

The fan noise wasn't even noticeable until everyone started having a hissy about it. Now, it's starting to bug me. I find myself dreaming up mods to take it out.

A little adjustability on the screen would have been nice.

We shall see where this all takes me. I bought the machine because of the synthesis options...otherwise, it's just another rompler like the M3 I sold to buy it. (Oooooo....look how big MY samples are.)
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

^^^ lol

So are the MS20 and Polysix the legacy ones? Anyone with a Kronos can confirm this?

In that case, the Kronos now has 7 engines instead of 9!

Sorry, Korg, but putting VSTi plug-ins in your workstation...I don't like that idea....
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

They're the same synth engines that were in the OASYS.
Old 26th June 2011
LOL - like any of this is news......

Most people expressing an interest in Kronos have known about this (as is has been WIDELY published in all the videos) for the last 6 months.....

Regardless of if its out of Legacy or not, it is still 9 engines... just not 9 NEW engines...
The Legacy engines have actually been added to, so they are technically updated, but not new - it's all in the manuals/brochures.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Well that just unchanges everything!

Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

I thought these engines were "new" ... How old is that poly-six and MS20 Legacy plug-ins...are you kidding me?

Anyway, good luck with that! lol
Old 26th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
^^^ lol

So are the MS20 and Polysix the legacy ones? Anyone with a Kronos can confirm this?

In that case, the Kronos now has 7 engines instead of 9!

Sorry, Korg, but putting VSTi plug-ins in your workstation...I don't like that idea....
Here are the KRONOS/OASYS changes compared to the Legacy software:

MS-20EX

* Modifications to the Patch Panel, including separate access to VCOs 1 & 2, LPF, HPF, BPF, and VCA (see screen-shot below; red jacks are new)
* Two patchable 2‐in, 1‐out audio‐rate mixers, for combining and scaling audio and control signals
* Four additional multi‐stage envelopes (plus the original MS‐20 HADSR and DAR envelopes)
* Four additional LFOs (plus the original MS‐20 MG and sample‐and‐hold)
* Modulation of all original MS‐20 parameters (usually with two mod sources: main source + intensity mod source; see "VCO Mixer" screen shot below)
ms20_param_details.jpg
* Four AMS Mixers (modulation processors: curvature, quantize, gate etc.)
* Additional "common" (shared by all voices in Program) LFO, Step Sequencer, Vector envelope

PolysixEX

* Two additional multi‐stage envelopes (plus the original Polysix envelopes)
* Two additional LFOs (plus the original Polysix LFO)
* Modulation of all original Polysix parameters (see above)
* Four AMS Mixers (see above)
* Additional "common" LFO, Step Seq, Vector env

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos!-ms20_patch_panel_mods.jpg   Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos!-ms20_param_details.jpg  
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, Dan.

So aside from extra ENVs / LFOs ... The Polysix / Ms20 have the same sound engine as in the legacy collection?
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Thought this might be of interest to Kronos fans, just found it on the web:

Si7_lab: 6

If Korg is here, you should get in touch with this guy in case there are any concerns.
Old 27th June 2011
Quote:
Thanks, Dan.

So aside from extra ENVs / LFOs ... The Polysix / Ms20 have the same sound engine as in the legacy collection?
There's more listed above than extra envelopes and LFOs! :-) With modulation for every "front-panel" knob, plus all the other new stuff, there are easily 4x as many parameters in the KRONOS versions as in the plug-ins (probably closer to 5x or more).

Some practical examples of things that are possible on the MS-20EX and not on the plug-ins: pulse width modulation via LFO or other mod source (instead of just manual control), parallel filters, parallel oscillators, processing synth signals through the bandpass filter, modulating the bandpass filter, etc.
Old 27th June 2011
Gear Addict

how does the synth section compare to an access virus ti2? everybody on korgforums and youtube are just talking about the real instruments sections and playing the presets for the synth sections.

i'll probably get both, kronos and virus ti2 but i don't know which one to get first. my friend thinks virus because he still thinks korg sounds are played out (i've told him it's the oasys version 2 at a cheaper price).
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I happen to like the idea of a polyphonic MS-20 emulator with around 100 note polyphony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djloekee27 View Post
i'll probably get both, kronos and virus ti2 but i don't know which one to get first. my friend thinks virus because he still thinks korg sounds are played out (i've told him it's the oasys version 2 at a cheaper price).
I can't see how anyone would think the Virus isn't any more "played out" than a KORG synth.

I have a Virus, and I love it, but the Kronos is three VA synths with different sounds, and MOD-7 (DX7, or more like an SY77), and STR-1 physical modeling, AND a CX-3 model, AND a number of vintage EP "models," AND two grand pianos with proper 30 second decay on the low strings - AND unlooped samples at that. AND all running through a virtual effects rack with up to 14 very nice effects. And the whole thing can switch to a second sound with NO sound cutoff. It's very much an OASYS, but a next gen OASYS. Trimmed back here and there, but supersized everywhere else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search