The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something new from Korg at NAMM 2011? Korg Kronos! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Guru

FWIW I think the Atom and the SSD are absolutely brilliant ideas. Not the bloated size of a box that needs an entire ATX case crammed in it and not some existing software sequencer/DAW awkwardly running on a screen that's far too small - and you save quite a bit because you don't have to develop all kinds of custom ASICs just to get the same speed and specs.

It's why just dumping any flavor of OS on a tablet didn't work out; what wasn't considered were the specific needs and limitations of the device.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just pre-ordered the Kronos today. It is an absolutely amazing music making instrument for my purposes. I really could care less what analogue heads think about when they rip this machine. As a compositional tool and for versatility it has no match right now in the synth market. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaman View Post
I just pre-ordered the Kronos today. It is an absolutely amazing music making instrument for my purposes. I really could care less what analogue heads think about when they rip this machine. As a compositional tool and for versatility it has no match right now in the synth market. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Congratulations!

I think it's going to rock considering the Kronos had a dedicated USB digital input which records directly into your DAW and a dedicated plugin to control/program the kronos. If you're using it in a DAW, I'd be interest to see to how well in syncs inside a DAW interms of composing/recording it into the DAW.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 16th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaman View Post

Spot on - the exact reason why I'll be getting one. thumbsup
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

I think i will try this beast in my studio and if their Total Integration with my DAW will be as good as i hope (or at least as my Virus) i think i will buy it.
Old 16th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hm, we will see when it will be in the shops ... also some reviews would be fine ... I bit don't understand the people who just order it based on some specs and few youtube videos ... still I have Korg Legacy collection as the VST plugins so this part of the Kronos is not as much interesting ... My pianos range - Kurzweil PC3X to NI set, the same with organs and Kurz VAST is fantastic ... connect everything with everything ... this is something what Kronos cannot offer, only set of separated instruments ... orchestral sounds are bad as usually for Korg ... and that is basically it ... I think that the price is too hig.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by silspok View Post
still I have (stuff)
Of course it's not going to be that useful if you already have everything!

Quote:
I think that the price is too hig.
Seeing that there's something like inflation and that you get more and more for what's (in terms of numbers) the same price these things are actually getting cheaper and cheaper.

If you'd take away the things that the original OASYS had you wouldn't end up with the price of what the Kronos costs.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by artech909 View Post
I think i will try this beast in my studio and if their Total Integration with my DAW will be as good as i hope (or at least as my Virus) i think i will buy it.
I was at NAMM today and I spoke with one of the Korg reps. From what I understood, the Kronos doesn't have the kind of fully-digital integration with any DAW the Virus TI has. Unless you use it as your audio interface, but in that case you're limited to only two analog input channels. Basic stereo. In any other instance, you'll have to use analog or spdif outputs to get Kronos sounds into your DAW. Also, USB is limited to 2.0 (for the interface AND for external drives), Karma is exactly the same as implemented on the M3 and the chord pads are gone (replaced by virtual pads on the touch screen. Kinda feels like typing on the iPad...) Another bummer is the 1gb limit for sample RAM. Why not allow the user to buy and install a larger SIMM?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

So does this have the full implementation of wavesequencing that the Oasys has?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
So does this have the full implementation of wavesequencing that the Oasys has?
Yes, and that's awesome.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

You have to give it to Korg for demoing the wavesequencing feature with the same crappy and instantly recognizable demo of the Wavestation.

Oh did I mention that it looks fugly? heh

dfegad Korg
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
You have to give it to Korg for demoing the wavesequencing feature with the same crappy and instantly recognizable demo of the Wavestation.
That's what most people can relate to, when they think of wavesequencing... The possibilities are endless, I wouldn't be that harsh.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

The M3 has some serious design flaws but the keybed is fantastic.

Hopefully the semi-weighted action on the Kronos 61 will be the same as that on the M3.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
That's what most people can relate to, when they think of wavesequencing... The possibilities are endless, I wouldn't be that harsh.
Oh common, don't be so lenient. heh Wavesequencing features... yes ok, fine by me. But at least give a nice and NEW demo. I still have the Wavestation demo tape somewhere and I could tell right away that they just ... copied and pasted.heh
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hopefully the semi-weighted action on the Kronos 61 will be the same as that on the M3.
Unfortunately, no one but the demonstrators was allowed to physically touch the keyboard, so I wouldn't know how good/bad it feels. There was only one working instrument.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

I wish I had the money to buy it. But I think I will wait for the price to drop. I might even get it second hand. But for the time being, I am in a "no money" situation.
Old 17th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

Yes, and may i point out how awesome the M3 keybed is?
Quote:
Available with 61, 73 or 88 keys. The 73 and 88 key models feature Korg’s finest RH3 Graded Hammer Action. The 61 key model borrows the responsive synth action from the Korg M3-61.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlord View Post
Yes, and may i point out how awesome the M3 keybed is?
thumbsup
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The M3 has some serious design flaws.
I agree, it does have some annoyances. Just curious, in your opinion, what are its flaws?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
But for the time being, I am in a "no money" situation.
Common to 99% of people on this planet trying to make a living with music...

heh
Old 17th January 2011
LOL - kicking off over at [Korg]Korg Forums :: View topic - Korg Kronos? Forums[/url]

Seems the Oasys owners are too chuffed about being perceivably shafted by Korg.
I'd only gone over there to sniff out a release date (anybody?) - thought you lot would like a read!

Lots of back-biting going on - is this a commonality on Music Tech-related forums? heh
Mind you, the Ferrari forum is the sameheh

SOrry, slight digression here - nothing to see. Move along. Move along.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
LOL - kicking off over at [Korg]Korg Forums :: View topic - Korg Kronos? Forums[/url]

Seems the Oasys owners are too chuffed about being perceivably shafted by Korg.
I'd only gone over there to sniff out a release date (anybody?) - thought you lot would like a read!

Lots of back-biting going on - is this a commonality on Music Tech-related forums? heh
Mind you, the Ferrari forum is the sameheh

SOrry, slight digression here - nothing to see. Move along. Move along.
I'm not too sure why anyone owning an OASYS would be miffed at the launch of the KRONOS.

The O was released some time back now, and to be fair has had a few major updates. The Kronos is a slightly toned down version that with todays costs can be built much cheaper. Its a standard evolution, which tbh, is surprisingly late if anything. I think the OASYS is still the pinnicle workstation. That screen is pretty dman cool.

I wouldn't be surprised If we see a few more cut down OASYS developemets arriving soon. ie a knobby VA synth with AL-1 / MOD-7, possibly a new piano?

Personally, I'm more concerned that theres been no follow-up to the Monotron. ...but they may well have left that at the moment so the focus is on the Kronos perhaps?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

They already said that it is, on the Korg website... look into the features, I think it's in the 6th page or so: "The 61-key version features the same great-feeling, responsive semi-weighted keybed found in the M3-61 Music Workstation. "

Still, I think buying this in a 61-key version is almost a crime, seeing how good those pianos sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Oh did I mention that it looks fugly? heh

dfegad Korg
I think it looks very good. I also like the footprint... not too huge like Yamaha or Roland.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post

I think it looks very good. I also like the footprint... not too huge like Yamaha or Roland.
In that spinning vid, it reminds me of the V-Synth from the side and back. I like that curved brushed steel look, that the S50 sampler also had.

I never liked the M3 design tbh, but that is just a personal opinion, as I know alot seem to like it. heh
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
In that spinning vid, it reminds me of the V-Synth from the side and back. I like that curved brushed steel look, that the S50 sampler also had.

I never liked the M3 design tbh, but that is just a personal opinion, as I know alot seem to like it. heh
More like the V-Synth actually. The S50 was brushed steel (or aluminum) but not that curvy...

By the way my idea of a separate MOD-7/AL-1 synth with lots of knobs and sliders seems would be a good idea after all...
Petition to Korg to make one for us then? Anyone?
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Head

"Wow, relax dude, you really don't think 10 years from now the Kronos will be worth $350?"

Of course, that's probably more than my original Triton is worth, but such is the bleeding edge of technology, and believe me, after hearing the demo, this keyboard absolutely defines the bleeding edge of technology in Keyboards of all kinds. Someone else noted that his Moog Phatty or whatever Moog he has, will hold it's value, better than the Kronos. Absolutely true, especially once the Kronos is discontinued, but the Kronos can do almost everything the Moog can do, albeit digitally and with a bit less fatness, yet the Moog can not even begin to approach the capabilities of the Kronos. I'm telling you. You'll know I'm right soon enough. This is "The Keyboard" at the moment. Roland and Yamaha et al will catch up, but even taking into account it's weaknesses, there is NOTHING like this on the market right now!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
More like the V-Synth actually. The S50 was brushed steel (or aluminum) but not that curvy...

By the way my idea of a separate MOD-7/AL-1 synth with lots of knobs and sliders seems would be a good idea after all...
Petition to Korg to make one for us then? Anyone?
Yeah, was refering to the finish, rather than the curves on the S50.

There was a thread about a year back where many suggested an AL-1 / MOD-7 Knobby synth heh

Great minds think alike thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by htieksppircs View Post
This is "The Keyboard" at the moment. Roland and Yamaha et al will catch up, but even taking into account it's weaknesses, there is NOTHING like this on the market right now!
Korg have a huge head start though. This Kronos board is already a 2nd gen 'game changer', so to speak. It has multiple synth engines, Physical modeling, etc etc

Roland would need to start a clean slate Imo to compete. The synth engines in the Kronos are totally different to their 1st gen VA synths (MS2000).

I think it would be a real cockup for Roland to do a similar Workstation product, but use the wayyyyyyyy over used JP8000 engine, which was never a high end VA to start with. (MS2000 competitor), and is, tbh, getting comical how it keeps appearing again and again. They really need to do something totally new to stop the rot of their diminishing reputation in the synthesizer part of the market.

Hell, I'm normally the last one to stick up for this company, but I can't help but feel its a tragic shame to see them fade away in this dept, with such a fine legacy history.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There was a thread about a year back where many suggested an AL-1 / MOD-7 Knobby synth heh

Great minds think alike thumbsup
I didn't know about this! So it seems Korg should consider it seriously if more people think this is a good idea!
As for the JP8000, this is one of my favorite synths ever, I know many people hate it, but still I think it sounds excellent and has a great interface allowing the creation of many sounds fast and easy.
I like the MS2000 a lot too, just different sounding to the JP. The JP to me is lush and creamy, the MS more thin and "firm" sounding, if that makes any sense...
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
I didn't know about this! So it seems Korg should consider it seriously if more people think this is a good idea!
As for the JP8000, this is one of my favorite synths ever, I know many people hate it, but still I think it sounds excellent and has a great interface allowing the creation of many sounds fast and easy.
I like the MS2000 a lot too, just different sounding to the JP. The JP to me is lush and creamy, the MS more thin and "firm" sounding, if that makes any sense...
Both good synths, but the point I'm making is Korg 'moved on' after the MS2000, Roland still seem to be trying to ring out the last drop of that engine, which may or may not be financially rewarding for them, but in the meantime, their competitors are accelerating away rapidly.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Korg have a huge head start though. This Kronos board is already a 2nd gen 'game changer', so to speak. It has multiple synth engines, Physical modeling, etc etc

Roland would need to start a clean slate Imo to compete.
I think the company that got royally screwed by Kronos is Yamaha, having already heavily invested in the production of the Motif XF line, which they will be forced to unload at seriously discounted prices (i.e. major financial loss.) Roland, on the other hand, can still scratch any project they had for the next Fantom incarnation and go back to the drawing board. BTW, Yamaha seriously screwed up at NAMM, renting space at the Marriot, outside of the main exhibit halls. Very few visitors there.

Anybody wants to buy my Motif XS and M3? heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search