The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
January 2011 New Gear Thread Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
3 noiserings on the same page - couldn't resist heh

congrats - it's one of my favorite modules ever. so simple yet sooooo versatile and finds it's way into most patches.
The Noisering is in the house and ripping my face off. It came on Friday with my Gemini
Attached Thumbnails
January 2011 New Gear Thread-gemini.jpg  
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

There goes my mpc 1000 I bluffed so much about ; guess I'll have to fix up that SP-404... but I just couldn't let it pass, my friend was just practically giving it away. This things is like they pulled it out of the box yesterday and he included all the goodies.. and a gig bag (sorry for the crappy cel phone pic, but I'm overcome by joy... and now broke too )... First Moog here...
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post

There goes my mpc 1000 I bluffed so much about ; guess I'll have to fix up that SP-404... but I just couldn't let it pass, my friend was just practically giving it away. This things is like they pulled it out of the box yesterday and he included all the goodies.. and a gig bag (sorry for the crappy cel phone pic, but I'm overcome by joy... and now broke too )... First Moog here...
Looks great! I ALMOST sold my MPC1000 and am SO glad I decided against it.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

OK not really new, but I finally finished my restoration of my beloved Soundtracs Topaz. It was very damaged when I got it. I repainted/fixed the broken sides and the cracked meterbridge. The arm-rest was bent. The power supplies for the mixer and the meterbridge was fried. All jacks in the back of the mixer have been replaced with gold plated ones. A lot of time went into cleaning. Now I am in the final stages of testing. I can't wait to get this baby into my studio. (Now I have GAS for a 32-channel Topaz )

Attached Thumbnails
January 2011 New Gear Thread-topaz1.jpg   January 2011 New Gear Thread-topaz2.jpg  
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie View Post
Looks great! I ALMOST sold my MPC1000 and am SO glad I decided against it.
Thanks man, I'd really been a fool have I let this one pass, and trust me not only did I need it, but I really wanted that mpc too. But man this phatty was just too much to resist, I'm not that strong, that Moog sound is definitely in this baby. I heard they don't make the tribute edition anymore, is that true?
Old 10th January 2011
Topaz looks lovely
did you put new caps in too? or is that for later projects?
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
3 noiserings on the same page - couldn't resist heh
congrats - it's one of my favorite modules ever. so simple yet sooooo versatile and finds it's way into most patches.
thanks! I'm looking forward!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-poly View Post
Nothing wrong with the noisering.
I got 8 off em
your system is a beast.
did you decide what to put in the empty spaces yet?
Quote:
Part 1 of my modular is together. This is about 1/3 of the system and I will get another 2/3 of it around the end of the month. The system already looks different as it is pictured as I rearranged things and added some modules that are not pictured, like a Steiner filter and STG sea devils and post lawsuit filters.

beautiful

as for the MPC: I just installed the JJOS 2XL, and ordered the harddrive bay. I'm not going to put in a harddrive though, but a 30 Gb CF card (using an adapter).
harddrives don't like being hit all the time
here's the info (I got a slightly different adapter than pictured)
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=108588
Q slider swing and shuffle on the drum edit page. lovely!!
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic....slider+Q+swing
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Part 1 of my modular is together. This is about 1/3 of the system and I will get another 2/3 of it around the end of the month. The system already looks different as it is pictured as I rearranged things and added some modules that are not pictured, like a Steiner filter and STG sea devils and post lawsuit filters.

Looking handsome Heath
Hope you're going to post some demos.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Topaz looks lovely
did you put new caps in too? or is that for later projects?
Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking of recapping the Topaz, but I decided against it. This console was made in the mid 1990's, still relatively new. If it would have been made in the 70's or 80's it would have been a different issue. My Soundtracs still sounds amazing, the S/N ratio is not too bad, and I cannot hear any sonic differences between the channels. Recapping may become a need in some point in time. For now let's first see if it survives 2012 heh

IMO replacing the jacks in the back was required. Some of them had the "clip-on-top" missing, leaving the jacks "wiggeling" and weakening the soldering points on the PCB. Neutrik has changed the design of the "clip-on-top", and I didn't wanted to have some jacks look different than others. The new ones also have been gold plated where as the old ones have been plain.

Since I had to dismantle the entire mixer, I simply replaced all of the jacks. At that point, good connections in/out of the mixer improved the sonic quality and the S/N ratio more than a recap would have done. Recapping is not out of the loop, but more appropriate in about 10-years.
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking of recapping the Topaz, but I decided against it. This console was made in the mid 1990's, still relatively new. If it would have been made in the 70's or 80's it would have been a different issue. My Soundtracs still sounds amazing, the S/N ratio is not too bad, and I cannot hear any sonic differences between the channels. Recapping may become a need in some point in time. For now let's first see if it survives 2012 heh

IMO replacing the jacks in the back was required. Some of them had the "clip-on-top" missing, leaving the jacks "wiggeling" and weakening the soldering points on the PCB. Neutrik has changed the design of the "clip-on-top", and I didn't wanted to have some jacks look different than others. The new ones also have been gold plated where as the old ones have been plain.

Since I had to dismantle the entire mixer, I simply replaced all of the jacks. At that point, good connections in/out of the mixer improved the sonic quality and the S/N ratio more than a recap would have done. Recapping is not out of the loop, but more appropriate in about 10-years.
is it SMT in the topaz?

RE caps: when i was modding my sondcraft delta we found that they had used polarised caps where non-polarised should be to save a few pennies.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
is it SMT in the topaz?
Nope. Good old easy to repair "through hole" mount! At least on all of the channels, the power supply, and the IO. There may be some SMT on the console's VU meter section, which I did not remove. But I assume that is non SMT too. The meterbridge does not have any SMT either.

My Topaz was built in England and its PCB is an earlier if not the 1st version. Based on the serial number, it was built in 1994. This mixer cannot be easy customized with the Pre/Post Fader AUX modification. The later in China produced model "Project-8" does that. I don't know if the later models use SMT. I did do the AUX mod on one of those many years ago. As far as I remember they did not use it either. But my memory may fail me on this.

The only bad news is, that these "low cost" consoles use some huge PCBs. There are 8-channels on one board. Micro fractures on these traces are not easy to spot. A modular mixer is still a lot easier to repair and to maintain. But they usually cost a lot more money and are not as easy to ship.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

The Complete Composers Collection just arrived on my customary "new gear red couch".

I already sold a bunch of stuff that this is supposed to replace, so I'm excited to install it tonight.

Old 12th January 2011
Gear Nut

The more Sequencers the merrier?

Finally picked up my Notron and SAM 16 back to jammin in the bedroom!
Attached Thumbnails
January 2011 New Gear Thread-img_2124.jpg   January 2011 New Gear Thread-img_2125_2.jpg   January 2011 New Gear Thread-img_2126.jpg  
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackdaddy View Post
do you sleep with a different piece of gear every night?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
OK not really new, but I finally finished my restoration of my beloved Soundtracs Topaz. It was very damaged when I got it. I repainted/fixed the broken sides and the cracked meterbridge. The arm-rest was bent. The power supplies for the mixer and the meterbridge was fried. All jacks in the back of the mixer have been replaced with gold plated ones. A lot of time went into cleaning. Now I am in the final stages of testing. I can't wait to get this baby into my studio. (Now I have GAS for a 32-channel Topaz )

Great mixer. I had the 32 channel version for a while. The only thing that made me crazy was the second AUX send was hard wired to the monitor section. You can't change it. Other than that I love it!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

Does paying off last years synth debt count as something new? lol
Old 12th January 2011
Wow really nice job on the Topaz, looks brand new!

Few bits and pieces, and more damn cables

Old 12th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blop View Post
do you sleep with a different piece of gear every night?
Depends on the night. Sometimes one, sometimes more heh
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

- new i7 980X hexacore PC w/ 12 GB of RAM and SSD

plus

Old 12th January 2011
PTB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackdaddy View Post
SAM16 = Nice job! How is it and what are you triggering with it and for what type of sounds i.e, bass lines, leads, funky sequences, etc.
Old 12th January 2011
PTB
Lives for gear

I haven't added to these threads in a while but I've been working on my PB configuration and now I got the bays. It satisfies my requirement for normalled and non-normalled configuration. Slightly better then Neutrik and I almost went with the Samson S-Patch but my engineer was skeptical about the switches getting dirty and ultimately having intermittent connections.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2011 New Gear Thread-img_1056.jpg  
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Finally:

Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartan k View Post
I just found their website, and I had never heard of this until this morning. For just $130 for the kit, how could I say no? It looks like alot of fun as well....
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmerrick View Post
Finally:

Congrats

Gordon, I want to get a sequencer for the dot.com myself very soon, but I'm trying to decide if I should get the Q119 or the Q960 first.

How do you like it?

The thing that draws me to the 119 is that it costs less, and you don't need an additional module to get a continuous stream of 24 steps in the sequence.

Did you go through the same decision stage??
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTB View Post
SAM16 = Nice job! How is it and what are you triggering with it and for what type of sounds i.e, bass lines, leads, funky sequences, etc.
It's a fantastic machine. Feels fantastic, made like a tank but delicate at the same time. It's incredible for Chords - Detroit stuff and I want some poly analog for it. Maybe a Matrix 6r somewhere down the line. Right now it's main purpose will be the Moog for basslines/leads/EFX and a Microkorg for chords. The roland sequencer is good for extra modulation/cyclic extension of the patterns. I've wanted a SAM for over 10 years now so I'm psyched that I finally went and got it.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Congrats

Gordon, I want to get a sequencer for the dot.com myself very soon, but I'm trying to decide if I should get the Q119 or the Q960 first.

How do you like it?

The thing that draws me to the 119 is that it costs less, and you don't need an additional module to get a continuous stream of 24 steps in the sequence.

Did you go through the same decision stage??
I have one too and my main "complaints" are that I can't insert any rests or control the duration of an individual step. Thats about it though.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I got Halionsonic:

Got to say that after the first few hours of playing around with it that I'm not really impressed.....

also finally got Vocalign Project:

Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

Heres mine

Old 13th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Finally this gem has arrived a few days ago....

And got PolyKB II also but have to get an iLok eh... all for the best after demoing some other gems that use this "platform"

Besides that I got some drums to expand Nerve from Wave Alchemy.. oh these too heh

Really nice collection! None of that overprocessed stuff that really clutters the mix. They do need more work but they are super ingredients.....

Will be shaping and twisting them for a great deal of time Nathaniel!thumbsup

Anyways these are some of the last purchases for this beginning of the year... really have to focus on the music and what I already got

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search