The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Different versions of the SP-1200?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I understand the E-MU SP-1200 kept being reissued up until 97' but other than the black case in the last version did anything change with it?

Also what kind of mods and upgrades have developed for the instrument?
Old 1st January 2011
There is 2-3 versions...

The only main difference between them are power supply changes, Display types and the last 100 or so had discrete filter circuits since the chips were not available.

Not much in the mod department... I'm not planning on modding my machine. I would do something (if it was available) that allowed me to bypass the floppy and save to a card or included the OS in boot like the SP-12T
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I have the last rev of the SP1200 - I was told it was the most desirable as far as the power section is concerned. Others would get VERY hot from what I understand. It's a great machine I couldn't live w/o!
Old 1st January 2011
I have the black Revision with the better PSU, if you have a limited edition you should have plaque with it's number out of 100.

The heat comes from a huge voltage dropping resistor mounted to the back if the case on the original units.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Really would love one of the machines, but they are so expensive now.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok...this is what I discovered.

The 2 final versions of the SP-1200 were numbered 7030 and 7031. Both had black cases.

The 7030 stayed with the SSM2044 filter chip. The same as the previous grey versions.

The 7031 used an op amp in place of the SSM2044.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not...but the chip fell out of production and EMU redesigned that section of the SP 1200 to use op amps instead.

I just bought an 7030 this week on eBay...excited to get one finally!
Old 15th January 2011
I still feel after years that this is "the one that got away"...heh
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

were the re-issues still 12 bit. did they have the same sound?
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
were the re-issues still 12 bit. did they have the same sound?
essentially the same machine.. still 12 bit.. essentially same sound.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
essentially same sound.
And what a sound! I love it how such a big chunk of a machine does so little, yet does it so well.

After 4 years of having one it is still the centerpiece of most of my tracks. I just can't make good house beats without it.

Mine is the 1st reissue from early 90's.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
Ok...this is what I discovered.

The 2 final versions of the SP-1200 were numbered 7030 and 7031. Both had black cases.

The 7030 stayed with the SSM2044 filter chip. The same as the previous grey versions.

The 7031 used an op amp in place of the SSM2044.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not...but the chip fell out of production and EMU redesigned that section of the SP 1200 to use op amps instead.

I just bought an 7030 this week on eBay...excited to get one finally!
Very interesting - didn't know that. I just checked the bottom of my SP...7030! I love mine!
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
And what a sound! I love it how such a big chunk of a machine does so little, yet does it so well.

After 4 years of having one it is still the centerpiece of most of my tracks. I just can't make good house beats without it.

Mine is the 1st reissue from early 90's.
I got my SP12 Turbo a few months ago, and I'm same as you.. love it & it's dirty filth.
Easily one of my fav bits of kit.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
I got my SP12 Turbo a few months ago, and I'm same as you.. love it & it's dirty filth.
Easily one of my fav bits of kit.
+1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search