The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback: Track I've been working on for a little while, big subs, chill melody Desktop Synthesizers
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Feedback: Track I've been working on for a little while, big subs, chill melody

Any feedback would be helpful, on the structure and the mix heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Shweet! Reminded me a little bit of Global Communication and early FSOL...good job man!

I'd love to hear what you used and/or any production notes. This is Gearslutz after all
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice tune!

Really like the melody.

Can't comment on the mix now as listening on laptop... but sounds good there.

Will try to feedback properly after madness of NYE is over... of to work now :-(
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds fantastic. I'd suggest turning up both the kick and snare by a few db. The kick especially seems to be buried a tad, and if you're intending this to be used in clubs should be brought out a bit more. From the layering I can't quite tell if the kick is a single sample versus a snappy part mixed w/ a 808-boomy one. If it is layered, try turning up the snappy part a bit. Otherwise you might want to play a bit w/ EQ on it to accentuate the punch. Great song though, very chill indeed.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the feedback

@UpNsmoke: For the melody I used logics sculpture, love the organic kind of sounds you can get out of that :D

Used my virus for the 303 sound throughout.

I will have another listen tomorrow when my ears are fresh. Maybe the kick is a tiny bit too quiet. I think the subs might be a tad boomy too.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

... Just to comment that having only listened VERY briefly- flicking through the track... the melody was stuck in my head for a good half an hour afterwards... until I got out of the house & put my iPod on.

This is definitely a good sign in my opinion.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
... Just to comment that having only listened VERY briefly- flicking through the track... the melody was stuck in my head for a good half an hour afterwards... until I got out of the house & put my iPod on.

This is definitely a good sign in my opinion.
hahaha awesome thank you heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Okay... fired up my monitors. Can't listen LOUD though as nearly midnight & don't want to pi** off my neighbours.

Mix sounds well balanced. I really like this track.

To find something to criticise, I'd say that the snare is perhaps a little flappy... maybe change, or just tighten in the release... then add back with reverb- at the moment it just seems a bit too loose.
Also, this is just personal opinion, but I suspect it might be better if you closed down the filter cut-off to remove all buzziness & just have it smooth & round. Not certain though.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

awesome thanks for all the comments. I'm currently composing a demo tape to send to labels to hopefully get some interest thinking of putting this song on the tape
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Really liking this! great track. I do agree with the kick being a little on the quiet side but otherwise this sounds really pro to me.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, this is just personal opinion, but I suspect it might be better if you closed down the filter cut-off to remove all buzziness & just have it smooth & round. Not certain though.
Maybe it's just the actual synth I'm not feeling, rather than the fact the cut-off is open.

What synth are you using to play that part? It feels a bit static & lifeless... like a weak VA.

I think there could perhaps be more movement in the filter cut-off point- automate it to open/close by a small amount to add more dynamic to the track.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it's just the actual synth I'm not feeling, rather than the fact the cut-off is open.

What synth are you using to play that part? It feels a bit static & lifeless... like a weak VA.

I think there could perhaps be more movement in the filter cut-off point- automate it to open/close by a small amount to add more dynamic to the track.
For which part? the melody or the 303?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
For which part? the melody or the 303?
The HUGE dominant buzzy raspy bass. Doesn't sound obviously like a typical 303 to me, but I guess it might be if your processed it heavily. It's like a typical electro-house type of bass.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The HUGE dominant buzzy raspy bass. Doesn't sound obviously like a typical 303 to me, but I guess it might be if your processed it heavily. It's like a typical electro-house type of bass.
Yea i know what you mean. It is a bit rich I could play around with it, perhaps tighten it up a bit. You think this ones good enough to throw on the demo tape? I'm working on another song at the moment that's sounding pretty awesome
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Sounds nice. I would sure like to have the kick and snare a lot more forward in the mix. Would also perhaps layer the kick to give it more punch. The '303' style sound just isn't doing it for me. It either needs to go back in the mix and be thinned out wth eq or preferably filtered down with a lp and modulated to give it some movement.

What i really liked was the melody and the sound you used for it. I haven't gotten round to using Sculpture yet but this may tempt me. Did you create the sound yourself or was it a preset?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea i know what you mean. It is a bit rich I could play around with it, perhaps tighten it up a bit. You think this ones good enough to throw on the demo tape? I'm working on another song at the moment that's sounding pretty awesome
What synth is it??
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What synth is it??
virus TI snow
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
virus TI snow
Wow!!

I was expecting you to say Sylenth!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

nope it's some fuzzy 303 patch heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search