The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eprom burner?? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Eprom burner??

Anyone here burning EPROMS for their old drum machines? I am looking to get into burning some eproms and wondering if anyone can recommend a burner that works will OSX.

I am looking to burn sounds for my LINNDRUM and DMX.

Thanks
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Ouch. You could get a willem eprom burner... they are cheap and easy to find but they are a %@!&[email protected]@#%[email protected]$%@#@#[email protected]# pain to use.

I picked up a Simmons eprom "blower" and it's about 20 million times easier. You can't just import binary files, though, you have to actually record it through the inputs.

The Oberheim one is, from what I hear, the Cadillac of eprom burners, though, since it has a nice CEM filter built in.

You should check with PJ White. He's the guy who runs the DMX Files website and knows a ton about eprom-related machines. He's helped me out in the past and I've ordered eproms from him as well.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tip ... I'll check him out.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Go to ebay and find a used elnec burner.

They are the best.

Can be found for around 50-100 Euros.

elnec.de

PM me if you want more info.

WT
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I've always liked using the incredibly versatile AR-32A from Andromedia Research Labs.

Cost for a full featured kit including full documentation is very reasonable. I've been using their system for 15 years and the support is excellent. For example I once has a non-working unit (bought off eBay) and their tech listened to my symptoms and then gave a few suggestions on the most likely troubleshooting steps. He was dead on and I easily repaired the system. Upgraded not too long ago from my old AR-32 to the new model and I couldn't be happier. The unit interfaces via parallel port, is crazy fast, compatible with everything, and works with or w/o Windows. I've used these to backup many of my Roland & Yamaha EPROMS without incident, not to mention using them in a production environment where they also performed reliably.

EPROM PROGRAMMER DEVICE PROGRAMMER BY ANDROMEDA RESEARCH
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Good stuff KingDaddyO !

Looks like this is the obvious choice in the US. Great price !!!

WT
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for the responses ... much appreciated

Happy New Year!!!!!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

waveterm,
Yes indeed - I've always thought these units were a great value. There are many other good systems out there, but these are really all inconclusive packages & pretty hard to beat IMO. thumbsup

ilovesound,
You bet ... good luck and HNY too!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

elnec is pretty much the same though they are more expensive.

WT
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search