The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Slim Phatty v. DSI Mopho KB Desktop Synthesizers
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Moog Slim Phatty v. DSI Mopho KB

Hi all,

It's not my intention to start a debate (though it's OK if I do - I often find them amusing).

I've had a Mopho KB (and a Tetra) for a few months and I bought a Slim Phatty today.

One of my first thoughts was that it sounds like a Moog. That's not surprising I guess, but before I bought it I don't think I could have said what a Moog sounds like. After playing with the presets, the character of the sound was quite recognisable.

So anyway, it's 2011 where I am, and I've had a few drinks, and I thought I'd list a few pros of the two synths (I can't really think of any cons). There are other monosynths available of course, but I don't have experience with those, and these two are probably the most available at your local music store.

Mopho Keyboard
  • It has a keyboard - which I quite like, even though it's only 2 1/2 octaves. The aftertouch has a nice spongy feel to it (much more responsive than my old SY85 keyboard).
  • Add a Tetra and you get a five voice polysynth. With no splits or layers, editing the Tetra from the Mopho couldn't be more simple.
  • A separate knob for most (and the most used) parameters.
  • Modulation. Three envelopes, four LFOs, four sequencers and a four slot mod matrix.
  • The sound. I think it sounds great. I was introduced to electronic music in the early 90's - everything was just "techno" then, and the Mopho can produce most of the sounds you'd expect from that genre (and it's descendants).
  • Aesthetics. I don't mind the orange colour (it's not yellow to my eyes), and I like the wood side panels.
Moog Slim Phatty
  • The sound. As I said, it sounds like a Moog, and it's a nice sound. If that specific character is what you're after you won't get it from the Mopho.
  • Something I discovered by reading through the manual before I bought it was that you can choose the number of poles for the filter, from one (6dB/Octave) to four (24dB/Octave). The filter still goes into self-oscillation with any of those settings.
  • The arpeggiator (and latch) stays on when you change presets. I find this really handy when playing around, and I guess it could be useful in performance situations.
  • The interface. There aren't as many knobs as the Mopho but the method of hitting a button for the parameter that you want to edit and then using the big pots seems just as intuitive.
  • Aesthetics. It looks more vintage than the Mopho. More so, I guess, with the wood kit (which I plan to get). And lots of bright Christmas lights.
I said I couldn't think of any cons, but one for the SP that seems to be a bug inherited from the Little Phatty is that if there is incoming MIDI when the synth boots up it will stop responding to MIDI altogether. Very annoying: it had me stumped for a couple of hours today. You'd think that would be an easy thing to fix with an OS update.

So anyway, my GAS is satiated for now. I wouldn't mind one of the Roland MKS polysynths, but it can wait.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the comparison. I think one flaw for the Slim was no CV out. Not a deal breaker by any means. BTW, do you happen to have any moogerfoogers? The reason I ask is I wanted to know if the Mopho keyboard responds to them with it's CV in/out. (I know it's only got 1 CV function, but didn't know much about it)
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

I don't have any Moogerfoogers but a CP-251 is now on my wish list. The Mopho has a CV in (no out) with a range of 0 to 3.3 volts. I don't know enough about CV to say whether you'd get useful results with the Moogerfoogers.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks so much Clumsy, a good read

Trying very hard not to buy any of these... need to use the gear I have
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Moog Slim Phatty
  • The sound. As I said, it sounds like a Moog, and it's a nice sound. If that specific character is what you're after you won't get it from the Mopho.
  • Something I discovered by reading through the manual before I bought it was that you can choose the number of poles for the filter, from one (6dB/Octave) to four (24dB/Octave). The filter still goes into self-oscillation with any of those settings.
  • The arpeggiator (and latch) stays on when you change presets. I find this really handy when playing around, and I guess it could be useful in performance situations.
  • The interface. There aren't as many knobs as the Mopho but the method of hitting a button for the parameter that you want to edit and then using the big pots seems just as intuitive.
  • Aesthetics. It looks more vintage than the Mopho. More so, I guess, with the wood kit (which I plan to get). And lots of bright Christmas lights.
I have a Moog LittlePhatty (the Keyboard Stage II Version )
and in my experience the Arp is stored with each Preset, so if you change your preset it will go to the next Arp Preset too if I correctly remind.
With that Latch Mode i dunno, i will check it tomorrow.
Also those Big Pots can mapped to other CC's and change it's value or change the CC's value and the Moogs Value. Very neat feature.
Also you can map every Parameter to those Big Pots: so The "Mod" Pot can be Cutoff with one press on the Lfo Button the next Res and the next Overload only with one press on a Button nice for Live Use.

Sorry for bad English,not native Speaker but i hope it gets clear what I'm trying to get to you heh

Nice New Year DerWanderer
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWanderer View Post
I have a Moog LittlePhatty (the Keyboard Stage II Version )
and in my experience the Arp is stored with each Preset, so if you change your preset it will go to the next Arp Preset too if I correctly remind.
The arp settings will change but it will keep playing as long as it's enabled in the preset you change to (as it is with all of the presets in the SP)..

Quote:
Also those Big Pots can mapped to other CC's and change it's value or change the CC's value and the Moogs Value. Very neat feature.
Also you can map every Parameter to those Big Pots: so The "Mod" Pot can be Cutoff with one press on the Lfo Button the next Res and the next Overload only with one press on a Button nice for Live Use.
I haven't read the manual in detail yet so there are probably lots of features I don't know about. I like the idea of using those big knobs as controllers for other synths. What would be handy with these modern synths is the idea of "global presets" that let you store different configurations of global parameters so that you don't have go through and change them one by one.
Old 24th January 2011
Nev
Lives for gear

Ordered my slim phatty just recently, was thinking about a mopho but the slim works well in my situation dedicated to deep basses.

I can't justify paying for a mopho and a tetra when I can find a used prophet 08 in great condition for about the same price.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Ordered my slim phatty just recently, was thinking about a mopho but the slim works well in my situation dedicated to deep basses.

I can't justify paying for a mopho and a tetra when I can find a used prophet 08 in great condition for about the same price.
+1

used 08 is definetly the best of all worlds

well maybe that and phatty if your very slutty
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Except the Prophet doesn't have a sub OSC. I feel the Tetra is definitely the best deal in analog synths today. I wanted to just get one analog synth and the Tetra is what I decided on after I factored in everything.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

the 08 has split mode giving 4osc per voice , 2 of which can be setup as sub oscs just like the tetra or you have the flexibility of doing whatever you want with them. Also with split mode you essentially get 2 independant filters and double everything else for more options. you do not have feedback though.

problem with the tetra is the UI sucks . if your ok with that its a great machine . personally I sold my tetra and got a 2nd hand 08 for not much more than a new tetra and its much much nicer to use and program and sonically 99% the same
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Except the Prophet doesn't have a sub OSC. I feel the Tetra is definitely the best deal in analog synths today. I wanted to just get one analog synth and the Tetra is what I decided on after I factored in everything.
For analog poly I agree. IMO the Evolver is probably the best monosynth they offer from a price point to feature perspective. In the end I went with the Tetra and am loving it for like, everything. I have an SP as well; they complement each other well. Moog does low and low-mid a little better, but Tetra can do poly, multitimbral patches, complex effects, and still dish out serious bass and leads no problem. I usually layer them to great effect.

As for what to get FIRST, depends on what kind of music you make and what you need a synth for most at the moment.
Old 25th January 2011
Nev
Lives for gear

Since we are on the subject how do you all feel about the curtis chip sound for electronic dance music?
Old 16th August 2011
Proud Mopho KB Owener

Hey guys,

I'm a guitar player experimenting with analog synths... when I saw the Moog Slim Phatty for sale I had to have it.. After having it for 5 months I found myself very limited and not having any fun with it. I found its user interface a bit complicated and limited. So I sold it and bought myself the Mopho Keyboard.. boy did I make the right decision!!! The DSI Mopho Keyboard is much more fun to play with.. I can actually sit there and "jam it out" like an instrument, its user interface is far superior that the Slim Phatty much more intuitive and practical. As far as the sound goes.. Honestly I prefer the DSI Mopho sound.. it sounds more "RAW", I have nothing negative to say about the Mopho Keyboard! If you want an analog synth in the $700 - $800 range, this is where is at! I use my Mopho Keyboard with a MoogerFooger FreqBox and an expression pedal connected to the FreqBox Frequency input... WOW!! So much fun!!! I could play this thing for days!! I'm looking to add a DSI Tetra to my set up so that I can have a 5 voice Analog synth in a tiny foot print This is definitely the best set up for me and I recommend it to anyone in a heart beat!
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpromano78 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a guitar player experimenting with analog synths... when I saw the Moog Slim Phatty for sale I had to have it.. After having it for 5 months I found myself very limited and not having any fun with it. I found its user interface a bit complicated and limited. So I sold it and bought myself the Mopho Keyboard.. boy did I make the right decision!!! The DSI Mopho Keyboard is much more fun to play with.. I can actually sit there and "jam it out" like an instrument, its user interface is far superior that the Slim Phatty much more intuitive and practical. As far as the sound goes.. Honestly I prefer the DSI Mopho sound.. it sounds more "RAW", I have nothing negative to say about the Mopho Keyboard! If you want an analog synth in the $700 - $800 range, this is where is at! I use my Mopho Keyboard with a MoogerFooger FreqBox and an expression pedal connected to the FreqBox Frequency input... WOW!! So much fun!!! I could play this thing for days!! I'm looking to add a DSI Tetra to my set up so that I can have a 5 voice Analog synth in a tiny foot print This is definitely the best set up for me and I recommend it to anyone in a heart beat!
You're entitled to your own opinion but it doesn't make sense to me. You don't know how to use the LP to half its potential (as a synth user I think it's extremely easy to use) so I'm not sure I believe your conclusion that the sound is rawer than the Mopho.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

I really like the sound of the Mopho and Tetra. The 08 is another great US sound again but it aint a Mopho. The Moog, well it's a Moog and that what it will always sound like.

Call me shallow but I would have bought a Mopho months ago if it was not for the colour. I'm waiting for a limited edition black Mopho with full CV option.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrumdrumdrum
I really like the sound of the Mopho and Tetra. The 08 is another great US sound again but it aint a Mopho. The Moog, well it's a Moog and that what it will always sound like.

Call me shallow but I would have bought a Mopho months ago if it was not for the colour. I'm waiting for a limited edition black Mopho with full CV option.
Hah, I was thinking of painting mine
Maybe style-flip for the knob labels? I don't know if they're any good. Heh, was also thinking of raising the angle of the top panel to around 35-40deg and making new side panels.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
Hah, I was thinking of painting mine
Maybe style-flip for the knob labels? I don't know if they're any good. Heh, was also thinking of raising the angle of the top panel to around 35-40deg and making new side panels.
Do you find the 2 1/2 octave keyboard to be a PITA or limitation? I'm thinking about getting a Mopho keyboard to control my Tetras.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Well it's kind of a pia sometimes if you want to move outside the octaves, I also have a separate 5 octave midi keyboard setup to the side in case I need to do just that.
Old 21st August 2011
Moog is so limited in modulations. Sure it has slightly fatter osc, but the filter is not as wet. I think the prophet can be brighter, or darker. The mopho is by far way more versatile. After owning both, if you want smooth prog rock funk stuff, go with the moog, if you want something that can deliver on all fronts with modular like routing, go with the mopho. Moog sounds better down low, mopho sound way better up high
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

Resurrecting this thread:

Question about the ARP+Latch function on the Slim Phatty.

Does it behave the same way as the MophoKey? On the MophoKey when the latch mode is on, the notes are just added from the previous note played. You cannot do key/chord progression. It does not release the previous notes with the newly played notes. I am so disappointed as this is not what I expected.

What I wanted to do is play a arpeggiated G chord and latch; after a full measure then play a C chord and latch. This will free up my hand so I could play other synths for layering pads and melodies.

Please advise.
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonebug View Post
What I wanted to do is play a arpeggiated G chord and latch; after a full measure then play a C chord and latch. This will free up my hand so I could play other synths for layering pads and melodies.
You'll be able to do that with the Slim Phatty - when you press new keys they replace the old ones.
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Phatty arp + latch will keep adding notes to the arpeggiation as long as any of the notes in the pattern are still held down... when you release all keys, then the next new note will reset the pattern.
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Addict

thanks guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search