The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Out of the 2 listed, which studio monitors would be better for this room (pic) Studio Monitors
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Out of the 2 listed, which studio monitors would be better for this room (pic)

Hey there I wanted to ask u guys what monitors would suit me better.

The Yamaha HS80's or the KRK VXT 8's?

Im going from BM5A's, and I do progressive/electro/house

I do have some bass absorbers in the corners I made, but only the top half has the insulation in it the bigger bottom part is just a stand.

I really am mainly looking to increase quality of stereo spread and the kick/bass cuz with the BM5A's I am not producing what I think is a sufficient product for a club standard.

Thanks for the input

Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Your room looks big enough for bigger monitors

If you have solid bass traps and producing progressive/electro/house, I would go for the Yamaha's as they are close to the NS10's and you will get more bass than the VXT8's but they can be fatiguing over long sessions. If you are not willing to do more room treatment then the VXT8's do have great bass extension and would have you covered.

Both are good monitors and if it was me I would go for the VXT8's as they sound better but you would lose some thump in the bass department (not much) in regards to the HS80's.

quality of stereo spread = VXT8's
kick/bass = HS80's
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Radio Slave uses the bm5a's and he makes some of the best sounding house/techno around.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofflying View Post
Radio Slave uses the bm5a's and he makes some of the best sounding house/techno around.
Yeah, those bm5a's're fine. Put that extra money in more basstraps cause what I see on the pic wont do much....
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Well it seems the vxt 8's are a little tighter in the low end than the hs80's, is that a good thing?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using BM5a's as well. Aside from the bass traps, I can recommend a subwoofer + JBL MSC1 to go along with the Dynaudio's. More sets of monitors will not hurt, but I don't think they will fill the void that you're feeling (or not feeling for that matter).
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I'm using BM5a's as well. Aside from the bass traps, I can recommend a subwoofer + JBL MSC1 to go along with the Dynaudio's. More sets of monitors will not hurt, but I don't think they will fill the void that you're feeling (or not feeling for that matter).
yeah, i recently acquired the bm5a's too...i also definitely need basstraps and the such in my room but can't treat my room as my rents are about to sell the house soon and don't think 'foam on the walls' would be an appealing selling point lol. but at any rate, what sub would you recommend? the bm9s is a bit way too steep for my price range and not sure if a grand for just a sub alone is worth it anyway.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

foam does not a good bass trap make. sorry for the diversion, carry on.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luzz View Post
yeah, i recently acquired the bm5a's too...i also definitely need basstraps and the such in my room but can't treat my room as my rents are about to sell the house soon and don't think 'foam on the walls' would be an appealing selling point lol. but at any rate, what sub would you recommend? the bm9s is a bit way too steep for my price range and not sure if a grand for just a sub alone is worth it anyway.
KRK is good. Keep in mind the idea isn't to crank it. The volume on mine is hardly turned up, just enough to feel the bottom frequencies.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

I use the Rockit 5's with the MS10 sub, after I added the sub, it was unreal bass in my room, it is only partially treated and not modded as much as I need too yet. I have the sub turned almost as low as it goes and it pumps the bass nicely, having the cutoff set right keeps the little speakers from working so hard on the low end. Love the sound now, and for iTunes playing it can rattle the house windows if needed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search