The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So what is the current situation with Nebula AU?
Old 31st December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

So what is the current situation with Nebula AU?

... Seems like AGES ago I heard it was in Beta.

As I understand it, I could buy it and run it on mac right now... but only as a VST, effectively meaning Ableton Live for me... but I do 99% of my production in Logic, and don't want to shell out until I can use it in my main DAW.

I think some of you were beta testers/in contact with the company?... So any word on when this might see a release?

>>>

Also, can someone give me an idea of prices of the add-on libraries...

Once I buy Nebula, will I instantly feel the need to shell out hundreds more on third party add-ons in order to get the full benefit?

Cheers
Old 31st December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Wrongo, AU version is available :o
Old 31st December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler View Post
Wrongo, AU version is available :o
Really??

So are they just deliberately keeping this fact secret from prospective customers?

Specifications

'SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS Leopard/Snow Leopard. Nebula is compatible with all major DAW host programs and .Wav editor programs that support VST technology.'
Old 31st December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Wow!!!

Awesome!!!

Downloading NebulaFree now to finally give this baby a spin.

Cheers!



So what's the deal with the libraries? Their website is terrible! Nothing currently under their libraries section:

Nebula Libraries




Can I buy JUST nebula3?... €80. It seems to say something like that's Windows only? Do I need to buy NebulaPro Bundle? I can't see myself wanting to sample my own IRs.

If I buy Nebula, what are the 'must have' libraries that I'll be wanting to buy?

I'm trying to assess how much money this adventure will likely cost if I pursue it.
Old 31st December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

Can I buy JUST nebula3?... €80. It seems to say something like that's Windows only? Do I need to buy NebulaPro Bundle? I can't see myself wanting to sample my own IRs.
.
Anyone?
Old 31st December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Anyone?
looking at the feature comparison, it reads to me like Nebula 3 Pro is the version that supports OSX and 64Bit windows but someone might be able to go further into that.


http://www.acustica-audio.com/index....=22&Itemid=145


BTW If you do buy it; try out this baby hehthumbsupheh

Mixing, Mastering Audio Services|Transcending Music Studios
Old 31st December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Hey Genie,

Cheers for your response.


Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
looking at the feature comparison, it reads to me like Nebula 3 Pro is the version that supports OSX and 64Bit windows but someone might be able to go further into that.


Nebula Bundle Feature Comparison

... But as far as I can tell from reading their site, the 'pro' version is exactly the same as the regular Nebula3... only with the sampler bundled in.

Is that right?

If so, why are Mac users forced to buy the sampler, but PC users have the option?

Their website is SUCH an ANNOYING F***FEST, and every single discussion on the web says the same thing.

Why doesn't the guy pay a proper web-designer €150 to fix it up... he'd double his revenue overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
BTW If you do buy it; try out this baby hehthumbsupheh

Mixing, Mastering Audio Services|Transcending Music Studios
Nice!

I've been jonesing Nebula for like a year now! Think I'm going to splash out.

Swan808 posted a demo of the Moog filter in a thread a while back, and this totally sold it to me.


Another Q: Is the full version GUI just as crappy as the free version?
Old 31st December 2010
  #9
You need Nebula 3 Pro for OSX compatibility...(confirmed)...To be honest thats what anyone is best with if they want to get into it - as its the most advanced and CPU efficient engine...and you need that for some of the new developer programs...

But try the Free Version first to check it all works ok (should do)...Nebula 3 Free is the same engine as Neb 3 Pro..

As far as Libraries are concerned...The FLEX EQ bundle from analoginthebox.com is unbeatable value IMO...AlexB stuff is 'slightly' more expensive as is CDSoundmaster...but still amazingly cheap for what sound you get...

I like TapeBooster+ from CDSoundmaster and also check out the Rhythminmind programs - dead cheap (a few $ each) and pretty great

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?cat=12

Dont forget 'Power Distortion' a great free program

http://www.henryolonga.net/Blog/?p=728
Old 31st December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

the website is pretty confusing but much improved from their last believe it or not ... Swan808 has been caining Nebula on OSX for sometime now so he might know if both bundles have compatability.

I think I must have brought the Pro Version as I am able to register the 64 Bit version, I have never even thought to use the sampler it takes some dedication to create those libraries.

Regarding the GUI the information on there can be really daunting these are the things I have found you need (gotta say that Swan808 gave me guidance on thisthumbsup) the input and output faders and meters, the applicable drive, eq parameters etc I never touch the liquid knob /fader... and there are about 20-30 GUI's .. I use a pretty simple one rather than full on vintage appearance.

Just been using VCult on something Im working on you've got to try it out mate for the money its incredible... then you have the consoles/tapes/eq's/reverbs plenty to choose from... the only bummer with Nebula is its CPU consumption its hungry for sure.

edit : and there is mr 808
Old 31st December 2010
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

Criticism aside,

Nebula 3 Pro is what you want for Mac AU.
It seems the CPU efficiency is better in the commercial version. (Strange way to demo, I know).

As for libraries it depends on what you're work is. For production there are tons to choose from but for mastering there are a smaller group of obvious winners.

I'm a fan of the software. But, I've never seen a company make people jump through more hoops to get the product. Even now you have to put a product in your shopping cart to download the demo.
Old 31st December 2010
  #12
I can imagine its really frustrating to get your head around Nebula initially but its kind of endearing in some ways - the clunkiness of the whole thing - given the value for money is so reasonable......and thankfully there is a really kind helpful community of users who are enthusiastic for these reasons...

Its very divisive Nebula - but then - every revolution has two sides...
Old 31st December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Cheers guys...

... I'm going to investigate more on Sunday... need to prep for DJ gig tonight, then have friends coming to mine tomorrow for an all-day 'recovery session' (ie, drinking some more!).

Even just €119 is a lot of dough for me right now... but it seems like this is a pretty HUGE advancement in software that I'm missing out on. Think I need to drop the cash.


Another question that springs to mind... on the website, it keeps repeating something about the Pro version & NVIDA graphics cards.... It's really not clear what they are on about though.
... Are they saying that Nebula will make use of the GPU for some of it's processing to take the strain off the CPU?
... That's pretty sweet if that is the case!
I have an NVIDA GeForce 9600m GT... is this any good for whatever this feature is??
Old 31st December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

This company has such a good product wrapped in a ****ty website, hard to access information, and an annoying interface arghhh
Old 31st December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Works great in Logic but definitely a CPU hog for me. I just picked it up last month and nothing else really taxes my CPU like nebula.

Just curious how people are using it, I would like to do console emulation with the alex b consoles but I think I would have to freeze every track or bounce in place. Is this the general idea?
Old 31st December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
I would like to do console emulation with the alex b consoles but I think I would have to freeze every track or bounce in place. Is this the general idea?
... So would you sometimes place this on every track & buss as well as the summing 2buss?... similar to Airwindows Desk?

I'm rocking Desk + BussColors at the moment & really quite like that.

The main draw for me is that Moog filter... is that part of the main library you get with the Nebula3 Pro bundle?
Old 31st December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
... So would you sometimes place this on every track & buss as well as the summing 2buss?... similar to Airwindows Desk?

I'm rocking Desk + BussColors at the moment & really quite like that.

The main draw for me is that Moog filter... is that part of the main library you get with the Nebula3 Pro bundle?

if you have the cpu the idea is to insert these console programs on every channel personally I don't think its possible for everyone, there are various aspects to the console that they sample and you are given a fair few to use on a per channel basis...

I suggested on the acustica forum that they could be used as an insert on say 4 sends/aux busses and applied as and when but the general opinion was that its better on a per channel basis. I haven't tested this yet I am only just up and running on 64 bit and Nebula so far has been working very well at 5/6 instances on a per project basis plus many other devs on my 2.66GHz Quad.

To be honest I am still finding my way with the console program I brought; I am not sure as to where to apply the aspects they have sampled although from what I am finding some are subtle some not so and that is my how I am differentiating their use.

Its a deep mofo!! more Nebula heh
Old 31st December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

There old website was horrible, but their new website is fine. I don't really see how people are calling it bad. The real problem now is that they are selling older versions of nebula which makes things more complicated for people. They should just be selling the main / latest version. I'm also not a fan of how they are doing copy protection.
Old 31st December 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
There old website was horrible, but their new website is fine. I don't really see how people are calling it bad. The real problem now is that they are selling older versions of nebula which makes things more complicated for people. They should just be selling the main / latest version. I'm also not a fan of how they are doing copy protection.

but you know it does the businesshehthumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
Rimby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler View Post
This company has such a good product wrapped in a ****ty website, hard to access information, and an annoying interface arghhh
This is the reason I haven't messed with it yet. Marketing fail.
Old 1st January 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimby View Post
This is the reason I haven't messed with it yet. Marketing fail.
I think I'm going to pass for now too.

Too many hoops to jump through. Tbh, I'm actually quite happy with the sound I'm getting & not actually feeling that I'm lacking much. Having that Moog filter would be nice... but at the moment, from where I'm standing, this looks like a humongous time-vampire in every respect- worst of all in terms of killing workflow whilst actually producing... but also just getting my head around the company's shenanigans.

I'm going to sit back & smoke my pipe... see how it pans out. In the unfathomably profound words of D:Reem, things can only get better.

Old 6th January 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Okay... So I'm still totally gassing for Nebula


... But I've been trying out the free version (AU) properly today, & having some unexpected issues...

I've been testing out the (seemingly highly rated) 'Analog Channel' on my master.

If I hit this with anything hotter than -31dBfs, I get really strong digital distortion in my subs... sounds like bit crushing.

I know it has an input/output control on the plug... but these don't go to extreme enough levels for me to level match the signal (to do an A/B comparison when bypassing the device.)... so I've been foerced to run a gain plug-in either side to attenuate by 15dB going in, then bump up by 15dB going out (I tend to hit my 2buss at about -15 naturally anyway).

... This all seems like complete madness; As soon as I hit -30dBfs (with the Nebula input level at default 0dB), it starts to break up.


Anyone have any thoughts or wisdom on this??
Old 6th January 2011
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Okay... So I'm still totally gassing for Nebula


Anyone have any thoughts or wisdom on this??
Haha! Couldnt avoid it...

This doesnt sound right to me...I just tried the Analogue channel program (but in Neb 3 Pro OSX VST) and didnt get any breaking up at reasonable levels...(up to about -4)

When the Neb engine is pushed the sound does break up - but not normally so low...(in your case it sounds ridiculously low?)...
Old 6th January 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 

PARP heh GAS IT UP! GAS IT UP!

Old 6th January 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Haha! Couldnt avoid it...

This doesnt sound right to me...I just tried the Analogue channel program (but in Neb 3 Pro OSX VST) and didnt get any breaking up at reasonable levels...(up to about -4)

When the Neb engine is pushed the sound does break up - but not normally so low...(in your case it sounds ridiculously low?)...
It's only on the very deep subs... sine wave at Gb (46.25Hz). It's a shame... because I generally quite like what this program does to the sound.
Old 7th January 2011
  #26
I'll have to listen with some proper monitoring but some programs dont take well to a lot of sub-bass...but there are a lot of (newer better sampled) saturation programs like analogue channel...consoles, Pres etc...
Old 21st February 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Arghh... I really want to get this. Just been reading up on the Tape Booster + after Swan's comments in my current tape saturation thread.


I'm still really confused by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
as far as I can tell from reading their site, the 'pro' version is exactly the same as the regular Nebula3... only with the sampler bundled in.

Is that right?

If so, why are Mac users forced to buy the sampler, but PC users have the option?
... I've just been on the website, and further realised that this sampler included in the Nebula 3 Pro Bundle is Windows only.


So Mac users... Rather than just buy Nebula 3 for €80, have to pay an extra €39 for the bundle that contains a Sampler.... which does not work on Mac?

Is this correct? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If I could buy Nebula for €80 (the same as the PC price) I would have bought it months ago when it first came out on AU.




Also, I'd really like to know the answer to these questions too:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Another question that springs to mind... on the website, it keeps repeating something about the Pro version & NVIDA graphics cards.... It's really not clear what they are on about though.
... Are they saying that Nebula will make use of the GPU for some of it's processing to take the strain off the CPU?
... That's pretty sweet if that is the case!
I have an NVIDA GeForce 9600m GT... is this any good for whatever this feature is??

Anyone???




Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
The main draw for me is that Moog filter... is that part of the main library you get with the Nebula3 Pro bundle?

Is there somewhere a list of the programs contained in the full retail version so I can see what I'm actually going to have available if I spend the money?

Is that Moog filter still in there?
Old 21st February 2011
  #28
Gear Maniac
 

The mac one costs the same as Pro + sampler I believe so yes, you have to buy the pro one + sampler, which you can't use I did.

Yes, it can use CUDA on your nvidia card to offload processing, same as any other CUDA apps.

Dunno about the moog filter, haven't ever used it and can't be arsed looking through the whole library right now

Last edited by timothyallan; 21st February 2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: costs!
Old 21st February 2011
  #29
The Neb 3 Pro is different to Nebula 3-its got the latest engine. Its not that you are paying for the sampler NAT. Its best to forget the other types of Nebula as they will eventually be dropped. They just represent the ealier stages of development and they continue to support and sell them for people with less dough. However - for Mac they only developed N3 Pro as its the best version and basically you dont want to mess with the other ones anyway.

The Moog Program came from rhythminmind...its not free anymore but its like $5...

Simonator I think your best bet is to join the AA forum and ask questions there as you will get your answers...I think there is a thread showing the Acustica Library...

It is a little jumbled but take it one step at a time - get into the adventure of Nebula!
Old 21st February 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyallan View Post
Yes, it can use CUDA on your nvidia card to offload processing, same as any other CUDA apps.
Sweet. Wasn't aware that non-graphics-related apps could put this GPU to use. Tasty stuff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
The Neb 3 Pro is different to Nebula 3-its got the latest engine. Its not that you are paying for the sampler NAT. Its best to forget the other types of Nebula as they will eventually be dropped. They just represent the ealier stages of development and they continue to support and sell them for people with less dough. However - for Mac they only developed N3 Pro as its the best version and basically you dont want to mess with the other ones anyway.

Okay, THIS is the info I needed to hear! Thoroughly confusing. I had assumed that the Nebula 3 Pro bundle was the same version of the software, but with some extra stuff thrown in. Didn't realise it's not even the same software as Nebula 3.

Why didn't he just call it Nebula 4 an stop selling all the inferior versions that hog CPU, freeze peoples computers & give the software a bad reputation?



Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
The Moog Program came from rhythminmind...its not free anymore but its like $5...

Simonator I think your best bet is to join the AA forum and ask questions there as you will get your answers...I think there is a thread showing the Acustica Library...

Cheers!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Insomniaclown / So many guitars, so little time
15
raumin / So much gear, so little time
12
mischa janisch / Mastering forum
4
NCNDude / Low End Theory
2
jeronimo / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump