The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
End-of-year reflections: synth G.A.S. vs. making music
Old 30th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
End-of-year reflections: synth G.A.S. vs. making music

Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
Old 30th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
You cant resist the power of the dark side....

GAS is great, it reminds me the days I was a boy and could not wait to get my new transformer toy.

Synth are the best toys, because you never finish exploring them.

You may cry wolf all you want but we know you are one of us..... you will come back.... enjoy your little trip.

And no I am not with you, I fully embrace all my bad habits.
Old 30th December 2010
  #3
My head says yes, but my heart says no.



.
Old 30th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Distractions come in many forms, some people have too much gear, some people have other distractions (work, children, etc) In my case it is the people I have surrounded myself with over the last year or so.
Old 30th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cramseur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
edited by cramseur :Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.
Woo Hoo, Happy new year.

I think I'll just make a resolution to make as little music as I can, spend as much of my time as I can on forums making arcane, obscure points about synths, listen people's clips, etc.

Then next year this time I won't be disappointed at how little I've actually use my gear.

Luckily this is a hobby of mine (amongst others) so I have no monetary incentive.

Then again, I think I'll really, really be ready to make some great music as soon as I get an Eventide Eclipse, and an Oberheim SEM.
That's all I need.

No really, this time I mean it. For real. No, seriously. I do.


pop is alive!
Old 30th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Lumin One's Avatar
im all about this type of mentality. master a couple synths and just make music. use and be thankful for what you have. the toys are cool and all to have but they dont make music for you and i dont think they help you make better music.
Old 30th December 2010
  #7
When I was producing heavy EDM music, compared to my TI, Andromeda, Nordlead and Voyager, my vintage Roland synths seemed pretty useless. I'm talking JX-3P w/PG200, JX-8p, Juno-106, Juno-1, JD-800. I was on the virg of selling them and a few others when a good friend of mine turned me on to a band called "AIR". While I still love EDM, chill out, 70's inspired jazz electronica has opened many new musical doors for me. I have a whole new perspective on my vintage synths, and a whole new outlook for my Voyager. Glad I didn't part with them as these synths have now come to life all over again.

So to answer the OP, sorry I won't be joining your cruesade. Why get stressed out with what you have? Build some discipline and make some rules to figure things out. If you are going to produce music, do it, don't blame it on the gear. I feel the way you do, collecting gear should be about the music, but to many sluts in this electronic forum, making music is not a priority, it's just one aspect of owning gear. To some it's about sound creation, programming. To others it's about buying rare collector's pieces and hoarding them. To many, owning gear is about knowing every detail and nuance about synths and having a nice set-up. My point is, if you love something, surround yourself with what you love. This forum is by all means, not the end all and be all of what you are supposed to do with your gear. I almost streamlined my studio and I am glad I didn't. I would have been kicking myself in the a** for a long time if I had. heh
Old 30th December 2010
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
Respect for posting this. Im with you - although for me Ive spent too long now 'thinking' about what synths and gear to have as opposed to being overwhelmed with what I have...
As you say I realised for me its better to have several versatile, solid pieces rather than many so-so....so Ive been attempting to work out how I can afford and whittle down what I NEED...Im pretty much there...just waiting for a couple more pieces then its music time - and Im gonna log off GS for a while and focus on writing and harmony. GS has been very good for me - pretty epic - but my rate of learning is slowing and Im getting to the point where a lot of GS chat is stuff Ive seen before...and my set-up is maturing so it feels like the cosmos is aligning into shape for a creative supernova...
Old 30th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
realistically at this point i could probably live with my new ultimate power setup of 808+jp8+p5+wasp+odyssey but having all that other stuff too is so much more fun.
Old 30th December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Franz Schiller's Avatar
I totally agree and have found this true for me personally as well.

I have actually spent the better part of the year searching for and exploring new workflows, and finally I think I found one.

I've put away all but three of my most inspiring synths; which also happen to be the ones I'm most familiar with and comfortable with. Consequently, I've been inspired more, and recording more.

My big obstacle to selling synths, however, is the difficulty of selling. Ebay has become more and more expensive in terms of fees, and shipping large synths is a PITA. I can never find the right size box, OR it costs an arm and a leg to have it "professionally" packed, and buyers don't want to spend extra on shipping. Craigslist is better money wise, but I just don't have the time to meet people, and the GF hates having strangers come into the house to try stuff out. I'll probably do it anyway, though, once the Holidays are over.

But I have definitely been more inspired lately to do more with less.
Old 30th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

2010 was a LOT of research, trial and error. So I was on
the forums a large portion of the time...

After buying some and selling more, I've got my rig where
I want it. Computer could use an overhaul but it's got 1 more
year to meet my every three year rule... and it works, perfectly.
(knock on wood)

At least I'm not rocking Myspace or Facebook...
you all are more my speed anyhow.
Old 30th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

This is a good idea. I am in the process of selling a lot of what is in my sig. I am going to concentrate on the PC3X, the Fusion 8HD, and I may keep a couple of analogue pieces. My real goal is to get one really nice poly analogue, and dump everything else and just roll with the three keyboards, though an Access Virus may be my speed as well. We shall see.
Old 30th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Respect for posting this. Im with you - although for me Ive spent too long now 'thinking' about what synths and gear to have as opposed to being overwhelmed with what I have...
I realised its better to have several solid pieces rather than many so-so...
Thank you kindly. I think I am posting what many people here don't want to admit, but in reality they feel the same.

For the record, these are a couple of pics of my current setup. I'm talking about 23 keyboards, 18 rack modules, several drum machines, effect boxes, modular ect. and hundreds of darn cables.

Basically I spend my time pulling in and out keyboards, trying different sounds on synths and modules, getting LOST in an ocean of cables, patch cords, connections, computer and mixer routings and so forth.

It is a great home studio, but I am overwhelmed... I can't play them all. I am not an octopus, I'm simply a man with two arms and two feet.

As much as I love keyboards and synths and samplers and gear.... and I really, really do just like anyone else here...

...it's too much and I am once again admitting it to myself. This is not the first time this happens to me, either... this already happened to me in 2004. I had even more stuff back then.

I agree with you - "it's better to have several solid pieces rather than many so-so..."

I have a lot of experience with synths and sounds. But I can also play, unlike many other people who can only turn knobs to make fart noises but are mostly interested in the technical aspects of gear.

I am a composer first, and a gear-lover after.

For what I can see, the best sounds right now are coming from East-West.

They are offering The Complete Composers Collection for $799. Those sounds are the best of them all, in my view.

So I decide to sell a lot of my current gear in the pics, upgrade from Mac Mini to Mac Pro, get an Apogee interface (ensemble or the new system), the CCC, simplify my setup greatly, and get back in the box. I discovered Logic, this year, and it became my favorite sequencer.

The Tascam mixer, SSL-24 ch.interface, Juno-G, DW-8000, D-70, DSS-1, two of the three W-30s, EPS, Bit99, FZ-1, DK 70, Radias R, Proteus 1& 2, DVP-1, MidiverbII, SRV-3030 and MPX-1 will have to be the first ones to go. Then I'll cut even more stuff, until I find the perfect amount of synths than I can handle and be productive with.



Old 30th December 2010
  #14
FWIW, kudos to you for posting this.

I too have the same type of concerns.
Being a producer and mix-engineer & programmer (worked with some big people) which I enjoyed immensely, I got caught up in the whole engineering aspect - SSL, PT high-end gear etc.....

Even up until the last couple of years, I loved this aspect (and if I'm honest, I still do ).
However, whilst I'm a real techy-nerdo, my first love is as a musician & composer. I've done a lot of work mixing all the skills together......

and am finding myself returning the performing/musicianship side....
It's much more rewarding to me at this time in my life.

IMHO, it's heartbreaking to sell kit - personally, I'm going through the same process through necessity (studio flood - ruined kit)

However, my advice (fwiw) would be to keep the kit, but set yourself limits & rules for your composition techniques (hardware-wise, not creativity-wise!)..... stick to a couple of toys, and then use the rest of the kit as required to bolster your production.

all imho, of course thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Heathfinnie's Avatar
 

Me too. After everything I have had and selling my DX1 and in the process of selling my 2600, all I will have is a polyphonic .com modular and probably a DX7 to double as a synth and midi controller. That and a couple of drum machines. But I expect to be much more creative and prolific than with 10 synths in the past.
Old 30th December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
shaft9000's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.
oh, Lord.
just sell it all and buy a really nice guitar.
you know you want to. heh
Old 30th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
UpNSmoke's Avatar
 

I"m going to stick my neck out and say the 'real' reason a lot of you are downsizing is because of the state of the economy and where we're headed with current events. Keyboards aren't the only thing getting downsized at the moment. Just my .02//
Old 30th December 2010
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
SSL-24 ch.interface [...] will have to be the first ones to go.
Why sell this one? You've bought it recently if I recall correctly; you're going to take a pretty heavy loss on it, and chances are that upgrading to the Apogee will not really be a night-and-day difference. At least strike a deal to have 'm going side-by-side.

I'm not claiming this out of having experience with either interface - it's just a matter of financial caution.

Besides, chances are that you're going to leave enough gear in there to fully use those 24 channels anyway heh

It's too bad that it's a cellar - because otherwise I'd get a nice real piano in there. Would be a complete pain to move in there, but it'd slurp up a good amount of money you'd get back from the sales, and if anything reminds you of your skills as a musician, it's that - no sequencing, no key transpose, no quantize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke View Post
I"m going to stick my neck out and say the 'real' reason a lot of you are downsizing is because of the state of the economy
If you're downsizing because of that and fear of job loss then the vintage synths would have to go first. No offense, but

Quote:
Juno-G, DW-8000, D-70, DSS-1, two of the three W-30s, EPS, Bit99, FZ-1, DK 70, Radias R, Proteus 1& 2, DVP-1, MidiverbII, SRV-3030 and MPX-1
all of this is pretty cheap stuff. Once the Jupiter has to go because you can't pay your mortgage otherwise, then you know bovine excrement has hit the propeller.
Old 30th December 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
oh, Lord.
just sell it all and buy a really nice guitar.
you know you want to. heh
You must have confused my screen name with a different one: "grumphh". He is the guitarist in the GS EMI&EMPgroup... not me, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke View Post
I"m going to stick my neck out and say the 'real' reason a lot of you are downsizing is because of the state of the economy and where we're headed with current events. Keyboards aren't the only thing getting downsized at the moment. Just my .02//
?? Knock on wood, I don't have to worry about that. My reason for downsizing is purely what I have stated - I'm overwhelmed by too much stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Why sell this one? You've bought it recently if I recall correctly; you're going to take a pretty heavy loss on it, and chances are that upgrading to the Apogee will not really be a night-and-day difference. At least strike a deal to have 'm going side-by-side.

I'm not claiming this out of having experience with either interface - it's just a matter of financial caution.

Besides, chances are that you're going to leave enough gear in there to fully use those 24 channels anyway heh
Haha...you're right, I bought that SSL recently, but - as I do with most of my gear - I bought it used for a really good price... so if I do sell it, I might actually make some money on it You're right though, I'd probably not get much difference with an Apogee, but I like the total integration with Logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It's too bad that it's a cellar - because otherwise I'd get a nice real piano in there. Would be a complete pain to move in there, but it'd slurp up a good amount of money you'd get back from the sales, and if anything reminds you of your skills as a musician, it's that - no sequencing, no key transpose, no quantize.
I've got a K2500 with weighted keys for that And have you heard the Quantum Leap pianos included in CCC? I think the combo K2500 controller + QL Pianos would be pretty much fantastic and good enough for me. Actually it wouldn't be a pain to move a real piano in there at all (it's a walk-out basement with large door). I might do it in the future. Plenty of free pianos on Craigslist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you're downsizing because of that and fear of job loss then the vintage synths would have to go first. No offense, but all of this is pretty cheap stuff. Once the Jupiter has to go because you can't pay your mortgage otherwise, then you know bovine excrement has hit the propeller.
Luckily (and due to my hard work and earlier life choices) I don't have that problem. Like I said... my downsizing stems from being overwhelmed by too much gear that I accumulated.
Old 30th December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
metrosonus's Avatar
 

Less talk more rock is my mantra for 2011
Old 30th December 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Gear does not write songs, it also does not prevent you from putting down an idea if it is a good idea. All I want is a decent guitar, a decent amp, one analog synth, poly or mono dos not matter really, and maybe a decent va with some hands on control to use as a master keyboard. I would settle for the cable I need to hook up my audio interface and knowing when my next meal will be.
If you want to collect gear that is fine, but then blaming your lack of creativity on the tools you own is missing the point. Instead of worrying about owning too much or too little gear live your life, read some books, do things that give you purpose. Once you have something to say the gear can shape and enhance the direction that takes. Sure a sound can form the basis for a song but without an underlying philosophy or ideal of some sort if is just a sound.
Old 30th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
This is what I'm doing. Although I'm ditching a lot of software in place of hardware, at this point I know what I am going to need. And I keep whittling my hardware list down, too, as I realize what gear crosses over and what I won't really needed. I'm not buying anything I can't fit into the built-in desk area of my apartment, though it will fit a 61-key synth easily. It's a big desk :D

All I really want in 2011 is an Octatrack, a Virus, a CZ-1, and a Fizmo if I can ever get my hands on one. And possibly a small analog mono, likely a Mopho or SH-101. Though I don't have room on the desk for a Fizmo and CZ-1 unless I am so blessed as to run across a Fizmo rack. Or maybe I can crack open the CZ-1 and see about stuffing it into a case for a rack LOL
Old 30th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Pschelfh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
Wow, exactly my thought also. I've got quite a modest setup compared to yours (12 hardware synths + a sh*tload of software) and it's true, I produce far less music than in the 80/90ties when I had 1 or 2 synths!!

The problem is deciding which ones to let go!!

Peter.
Old 30th December 2010
  #24
Deleted 8456dd3
Guest
I hear you man... ive been consistantly selling stuff for a while.
Ive just taken another 3 modules out of the rack to sell today....
Less really is more, i been lost in "options" and non working gear, broken work flow. Key for me now is just to get some really GOOD gear, a few good keyboards, a few high end FXs units/reverbs a few nice compressors and a mixer plus DAW with decent plug ins/ software synths.
One concession- i know i should sell my 808 and 909 and use samples, but ill never sell them.... they are classics and im too attached to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
Old 30th December 2010
  #25
Ha! I've gotten rid of my GAS. The only thing missing from my studio now is a polyphonic analogue synthesizer. Then I'm done!
Old 30th December 2010
  #26
Gear Addict
 

In all honesty, you've collected a fair bit of mediocre keyboards there (rightly so in the list of stuff you are selling, i bet there's some great stuff there too) 3 W-30's is a bit much, and the others, well, if it's all you got then they're great, but occupying that space I am not sure you'd have good reason to switch them on compared to some of the other synths.

I love synths, from the monotron to CS-80, so any synth I get my hands on I will probably like something about. Also samplers, I love them too, but for me having more than 3 samplers is generally counter productive. one will be work horse, one will be flavor I can't live without, and the third will be expendible since I won't have much time to use it, but I'll keep it for something special and leave it at that.

Work it like the sampler example above, just have a few centerpiece synths that are your workhorses (flexible, great sound, personally inspiring) and have the front and center, then have some spice synths that you use and love but don't need them to do any heavy lifting, and then your indulgences, the synths you can live without but want to hold onto. Maybe limit each category to three synths and then expand as necessary, but be honest, and really, only keep great stuff or stuff you really love.

Gearslutz lately has gotten a lot more consumer post driven. Consumption and loading up on gear has always been part of it, but more and more most posts are about what synth some idiot who can't spend his own money should buy, and less about actually using the stuff. Also a lot more self promotion posts, makes for far less interesting reading than it has been previously. I have nothing against beginners, but I have seen a lot of forums dive into irrelevancy when flooded with beginners who post more than they read.
Old 30th December 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
roginator's Avatar
I wont downsize my system a lot (tho will sell some things ) and i wont BUY synths ...that will be good if i make 1 year not to buy a synth !!!


My plans for 2011 is more music, midi in all vintage gear I have and upgrading some devices i have !!! thats all!!!


Im with you Mr. Varaldo
Old 31st December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

Good move, Mr. V ... I agree with you all the way ...

Happy 2011 ...
Old 31st December 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 

This is a great mantra. I just finished a list of items to sell on eBay in xls format along with prices, and will be downsizing the majority of my present gear list. I simply am singing too much to get to know all of the gear I have, and feel it is better to use a few choice pieces that I KNOW, then to have a bunch of stuff I touch once in a blue moon because I am traveling. So this mantra for 2011 is right on.
Old 31st December 2010
  #30
the ironic thing is that while trying to decide whether to sell or not, this in and of itself is another big distraction, lol.

nowadays i'm almost all laptop after getting rid of some geers, mixers, extra converters, etc. just using logic and an ensemble with a mbp. i still have some synths but just connect them to a patch bay for ultimate convenience.

scratch trax help where i just make whole songs with logic synths (ultrabeat, exs24 or es2 and the caps lock keyboard) and replace certain trax back in the studio. that and try collabs where people are exchanging songs with you 2-3 times a week really keeps me busy and focused.

just to give you an idea, for 2010 i'm on project 95 or 96 after selling those gears a year ago. they're not all perfect/finished tracks but its way less talk and way more rock !!1 2 releases this year and 3 planned for next year *crosses fingers*

it can be frustrating to work on a laptop with repeated part failures and other technical issues but for the speed and workflow improvements, def worth it. a mac pro would be the best you'd have even less restrictions.

good luck
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump