The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
End-of-year reflections: synth G.A.S. vs. making music Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

one humble request--pls keep enough to make italo disco when the mood strikes

i too have succumbed to the itb 'revolution'. sounds is 80% but I don't care anymore.

but i still have a hw 'jam' setup. for late at night, when the swamp beat comes alive: gators growling, chicadas buzzing, crows cawing in the night, distant thunder storms rumbling: thats when the 777 + 909 call to the old ones in their ancient tongues.

or at least it seems that way after a few beers!

but itb, reaper + komplete has enabled me to make music (ish) er noise again.

i have even figured out how to record my voice via the onboard mic! i actually might get a mic since it also records the cpu fan :( but for now...words! totally different animal then 4/4 drum/bass + chord progressions.
Old 3rd January 2011
Of course, what you've also omitted to consider (on the surface anyway), is that whilst all of your toys make distinctive sounds in general, there is ONE aspect that that makes them unique in comparison to a DAW/Mac......

Each device has its own D/A converter (and in all fairness filter - of a fashion!) - this is SO important to the output sound.

A Mac, whilst you've got LOADS of virtual software etc, will all be outputted through your audio interface, thus the *same* D/A will be handling ALL the computer sounds.

eg - Reason will sound different on different computers, but you can still tell it's Reason! heh

There is a LOT to be said for having a healthy mix on computer plugs & hardware.
So the question I keep asking myself is would be sell my hardware for the software equivalent? 9/10 NO NO NO NO NO!
The editablity & programability is great on software, but the end user (music-buying public) doesn't give a flying fcuk HOW you made the sound - they just want to hear it, and then decide if it's good or not.

Another example is that I've got both FM7 & FM8. I've also got a Yamaha SY77 hardware keyboard. Whilst FM7 is pretty good, is sounds WEAK in an A/B test with my SY77.

Not saying what is best either way really, but it is certainly something to consider - it's not just about quantity. As an engineer, quality is of tantamount importance too.......

And this is not bashing DAW-users (I use them heavily), but I don't know many DAW-only users who wouldn't love some hardware to compliment thir setup....

Food for thought

DAn

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 3rd January 2011 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spelling!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Yes... I am sure it's what I want to do. In 2010 I fell prey of G.A.S. again and bought an insane amount of stuff, and went from mixerless "ITB" back to "OTB" with full-blown hardware mixer, 24 channels, separate hardware FX boxes, more and more keyboards, more and more modules etc.

Yes, the sound is a bit different OTB, more "analogue" if we want to use that term. It is good, it's undeniable.

However, I realized all these extra components slow down my workflow, overwhelm me and make me "lazy" - that's just me. Of course it will be different for other people.

I love having a real hardware mixer with 24 tactile faders to move, I really do... but have realized, after a year of this, that I do go a lot faster by staying ITB, I get less distracted, and can get 90% of the sound I'm getting OTB.

Besides selling keyboards / modules, I want to go back at having this type of workstation:

computer keyboard and mouse on top of table
MIDI controller keyboard on the bottom tray

That was the combination that really worked for me.

Similar to this. No hardware mixer

Beautiful workstation, I must admit. But for me, it would be too clean, too sterile - too static. I like a bit of disarray, plus I like to move while I work. Besides, with my day job as a pianist I spend WAY too much time sitting on my arse as it is... so I like to work in the studio standing and moving around as much as possible.

I don't know Mr. Varaldo... I think you might want to give all of this a little bit more thought. The goal itself, namely to become more productive, is logical, but the means seem a bit drastic and impetuous - especially since you say you bought a lot of this gear in 2010... which wasn't so long ago ;-)

You've got some really nice stuff... and a good space... and you are already OTB. Why go back ITB?! I can't imagine! I still say put most of your stuff in storage, break things down into smaller more manageable rigs, start making music again and see how things go. You can then decide later to sell off some stuff if you feel you no longer need it.

Anyway, I realize I'm projecting my own aesthetic here. I'm heading in the opposite direction from you, which is to have less reliance on the computer/DAW. I've always been a hardware guy, but about ten years ago I caught the fever and started getting into computers, MIDI sequencers, VST plugins, etc. Thankfully, I did not sell off my hardware because after about five years of mousing around I realized I was becoming less and less productive. I was getting lost in plugins, OS updates, and "infinite" possibilities. In a desperate quest for the "ultimate DAW" I had bought Cubase, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, Live... half the friggin DAWs on the planet (why? why did I do that?)... and learned them all. Result. One big Kopfschmerz (headache) and very little music.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not "anti-computer" or "anti-digital" - on the contrary, I am very inspired by current technology... and USE it... but only as another tool within my workshop. The computer/DAW is not the cornerstone of my studio. I am.

And I'm analogue! heh
Old 6th January 2011
F5D
Lives for gear

I agree with most of what op said. Finally, I feel that I have everything I want. The last piece is arriving tomorrow (euphonix mc transport). After that, I will only build some DIY equipment but I try to keep it at that. Wish me luck.
Old 7th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
..but i still have a hw 'jam' setup. for late at night, when the swamp beat comes alive...
yes swamp funk!

Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
one humble request--pls keep enough to make italo disco when the mood strikes
Sure thing - I'm not selling the Linn nor the analogs so definitely will add more Italo videos heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Beautiful workstation, I must admit. But for me, it would be too clean, too sterile - too static. I like a bit of disarray, plus I like to move while I work. Besides, with my day job as a pianist I spend WAY too much time sitting on my arse as it is... so I like to work in the studio standing and moving around as much as possible.

I don't know Mr. Varaldo... I think you might want to give all of this a little bit more thought. The goal itself, namely to become more productive, is logical, but the means seem a bit drastic and impetuous - especially since you say you bought a lot of this gear in 2010... which wasn't so long ago ;-)

You've got some really nice stuff... and a good space... and you are already OTB. Why go back ITB?! I can't imagine! I still say put most of your stuff in storage, break things down into smaller more manageable rigs, start making music again and see how things go. You can then decide later to sell off some stuff if you feel you no longer need it.

Anyway, I realize I'm projecting my own aesthetic here. I'm heading in the opposite direction from you, which is to have less reliance on the computer/DAW. I've always been a hardware guy, but about ten years ago I caught the fever and started getting into computers, MIDI sequencers, VST plugins, etc. Thankfully, I did not sell off my hardware because after about five years of mousing around I realized I was becoming less and less productive. I was getting lost in plugins, OS updates, and "infinite" possibilities. In a desperate quest for the "ultimate DAW" I had bought Cubase, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, Live... half the friggin DAWs on the planet (why? why did I do that?)... and learned them all. Result. One big Kopfschmerz (headache) and very little music.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not "anti-computer" or "anti-digital" - on the contrary, I am very inspired by current technology... and USE it... but only as another tool within my workshop. The computer/DAW is not the cornerstone of my studio. I am.

And I'm analogue! heh
Alright, alright, you convinced me on the mixer heh I will keep it and put in the attic for now. If - say - six months from now I don't miss it... then I can sell it.

I gave more thought to this and already started selling gear. I sold the Juno-G and a couple more pieces and invested in my first "serious" software package: the East West "Complete Composers Collection", to replace a lot of my romplers/samplers which I will also sell. But I'm not selling the analogs!!

So, I will have a hybrid studio... a power computer DAW with the latest/greatest sound sets (EastWest, and I plan on getting Omnisphere as well and Kontakt as well), and the analogs.

I'll let you guys know how all this ends up...
Old 7th January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:

Just noticed one thing.

Where are the compressors? (!!!)

That is a nice Tascam mixer you got down there. But the way i see it set up right now, you can use that best to mix the audio in the local theater.

A musical mix is a completely different thing. I can't imagine how you managed to go so far, without being frustrated with the mixes.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Just noticed one thing.

Where are the compressors? (!!!)

That is a nice Tascam mixer you got down there. But the way i see it set up right now, you can use that best to mix the audio in the local theater.

A musical mix is a completely different thing. I can't imagine how you managed to go so far, without being frustrated with the mixes.
Hehehe... Don, I used to have a few good hardware compressors... Avalon, DBX, Ashly... I sold them all now. I use software compressors in the DAWs.

LOL - my Tascam is just a "pro-sumer" mixer, but its EQs are actually good. The on-board preamps, unfortunately, are not so good.

Why do you say that... because of the way it's set up too close to the monitors? My monitors are a bit too big to use them as near-fields, I would agree. Or because of the absence of hardware compressors?

At any rate, I'm putting the mixer in storage this weekend - I'm selling a bunch of stuff and start focusing on improving my skills as a composer again - and spend much less time on the technical/g.a.s. aspect of making music.
Old 12th January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Why do you say that... because of the way it's set up too close to the monitors? My monitors are a bit too big to use them as near-fields, I would agree. Or because of the absence of hardware compressors?
Compressors. I'd fill the whole right rack with them. heh

If you ever sell a Tascam, i'd at least consider a simple early 90's setup for OTB. Mackie CR1604 + Akai S-1000 and of course the Midiverb II which you have.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm selling a bunch of stuff and start focusing on improving my skills as a composer again - and spend much less time on the technical/g.a.s. aspect of making music.
I agree with this sentiment and think that you do have perhaps too large of a collection of synths for somebody who is looking to write music. Nice collection, but not necessary and a distraction - like you said. That is unless you are trying to build a museum?

One thing I will say is that depending on the type of music you make mastering the technology/synthesis side can be more important than traditional composition, thats my opinion anyway. I am more worried about how my music sounds over what chord progressions I am using.

Guess that focus depends on how experienced and proficient you are
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear
You should do what feels right. always. If you have finally made the positive decision to downsize massively then do it, as the main battle (in my experience) is making the decisions on what to do rather than how much gear you have (or not).

For example at one point I had around 15 hardware synths (full keyboards) not including my racks and things were getting stupid. Some of them were no brainers to get rid of (M1 which I only bought as it was cheap, if I ever feel compelled to use those overused presets again then there's always the software version). The only part of me that wanted to keep it was the same part of me convincing myself to keep my D-50 and DX7-IID, that is the 'collector' inside of me (which is COMPLETELY separate from me as a musician/producer/mixer).

Part of me wanted to keep the trio of 80s digital legends together, and I do miss parts of the D-50 more than the others and wrote plenty of music with it, but with it gone it means I can bring in new sounds from my other gear and give those a chance to get my full attention. This is where the SY77 took over as I was writing patch after patch (or adjusting custom ones found on the net) and was writing songs again with it, realising it replaced the DX7 and the D-50 combo in some ways (especially layered with a JX-8P).

My tale there is to highlight that if these constant mental acrobatics trying to find the perfect solution to our hardware is hurting out music output or causing us to stop enjoying life/music for what it is then surely the only sane option is to sell it!

I have enough songs written and partially recorded to last me at least 4 years (4/5 albums worth of keepers alone) I do vocals, guitars, mixing etc so it's not just synth noodling to me, but I've always been obsessed with synths. That's why I bought a load of 80s classics from when I was a kid and didn't have the kind of money needed back then, to own them and try them out. Some were disappointing and some were magic. Ultimately though it's the songs and music that counts (for me with people waiting for my albums etc) and I managed to whittle the 15 synths down to around 6, thinking it would be perfect.

Wrong, those 6 are still too many to have around you in your line of sight (if you are a synth lover /nerd like I am) as the temptation to noodle is sometimes too great (and easier than comping a vocal track for example) this also comes down to the person and I admit I have developed something akin to attention deficit disorder in recent years, but I figured it was only since being overwhelmed by machines and options.

It's almost sad to say goodbye to some of these rarer synths or ones that I like, but I feel if you suffer from this problem then your 'keeper' list needs to be far shorter. You have a Jupiter 8! Keep that and 3/4 select other units and roll with it. The stuff on your selling list is mostly really average or below average stuff that you have other synths that can do that better/more anyway.

I only ever bought 'cheap' synths but mostly decent sounding ones or with interesting/under appreciated aspects (so not always as overused as the more common stuff like 101,303,juno 60, certain VAs etc) and even with my collection of 'fair to middling' synths it is a nightmare trying to decide what to keep.

I think you have to start with ONE synth, the one bad boy that not only would you hate to see go but that is intergrated mostly into your current music and/or offers the most potential for your future music (and is of course fun to work with it). After this, compare each possible selling synth to it, if the first keeper is way ahead then get rid of the comparing synth. If you can barely decide between the two then keep both, knowing that you only have 4/5 slots of space and no more.

If your PC is working fine don't blow the profits on another computer (certainly no need for a Mac FGS), as long as you have a decent audio interface, if not then upgrade here where it counts at all stages of the music making (moreso if like me you also record vocals and guitars/bass etc).

It may well be that a year from now you are 'bored' instead of overwhelmed and can start integrating back into your studio that which you really miss.

Of all the synths I've sold (10ish) the only one I sometimes miss is the D-50 but I know if I had it back I'd not use it enough now to warrant the extra clutter/plug/set of cables. Selling them really is the only way to know if you truly wanted it.

As I'm a nice guy, and to help you out... I'll start you off buy offering £100 for the Jupiter 8 (i'll pay for shipping )

on this topic, I'm keeping the SY77 as I've written so many patches on it - not sure what to get rid of out of JX-3P, 8P, AX80, Polysix (2) - of course other's opinions have little to do with what I used the synths for but my heart wants to keep the Polysix (as the closest thing I have to a 'real' decent analog) another part the 3P for it's retro tone (that I've used a lot in my music) and another part the AX80 for it's untapped mystery and rarity (even though it can sound harsh/dirty) oh and the 8P makes a lovely controller and has nice strings and some good features..... this is the dilemma that goes around my mind weekly and has distracted me from making music for too long

and that's just from a handful of synths, if I had YOUR studio I would probably die with indecision so sell sell sell!!!
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

This is really a variant of the same issue that comes up all of the time, going back to ADSR on HC, and I'm sure a lot further.

In this case it sounds to me that perhaps the issue isn't framed correctly.

This sounds more like an issue of focusing the G.A.S. on things that you USE, rather than things that you COLLECT.

Sell the stuff that you don't use, or hardly ever use - if you really think that you'll make good use out of something else and you can afford it - buy it. If you wind up not using it (and you never really know until you've had something for awhile, and it either 'calls' to you or not), then sell it.

In some ways, I think that going through this process a few times and focusing on the process, rather than just blindly buying gear, can really be a very good thing. In my case (most likely an extreme, dysfunctional example), it's helped me really decide the kind of gear that gets me the results that I want given the sounds I like and the way that I like to work. It's a learning process.

Quote:
Like many here, I've got too much stuff. Too many keyboards, modules, software.... cables etc. I have to admit and be honest - it's overwhelming.

I spend most of my time like butterflies do in spring, dancing from synth to synth to try different sounds, tinkering endlessly, without ever focusing enough to sit down and record an actual good song from start to end.

Is this what I really want to do? No. I really think my music should be more important than the machines used to make it.

I have so many choices of gear to use, that I get so stressed out on which ones to use, that I never record anything anymore.

Back in the day when I only had a couple of keyboards, I was very musically prolific.

YES, this is GearSlutz.

You are SUPPOSED to look forward to the first person opening the new "this month's new gear" thread, and be PROUD to announce to the synth community what nice little toy you've bought lately.

You are ENCOURAGED to show off your studio in high-resolution pics of your high-end equipment.

You are EXPECTED to engage in pointless, epic arguments to defend your favorite analog synth against someone who says Fruity Loops is just as good.

And I'll admit to doing all these things, btw.

However, all these activities don't make any music to show other people... which should be the most important thing of them all (as much as I love gear like anyone else here)

So I guess in 2011 I will begin the descending cycle of the G.A.S. sine waveform, and start selling gear that I don't absolutely need - even if I like it.

I want to go back to having just a select, few, high-end pieces of equipment rather than having many, too many pieces of gear collecting dust, just for the sake of having them. And I want to have the most efficient, streamlined studio that works for me, and actually make music again.

WHO's with me, with this plan for 2011??
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict
I really tried to be all ITB, the idea to have everything in your laptop + monitors and headphones appeals to me, there are great vsti's that can do a lot more than hardware analogs but… it just doesn't work for me. I just use alchemy for percussion stuff (and this XY modifires give great results) but that's all.
It somehow kills my creativity, i don't feel it, it's just better for me to use real phisical stuff.

Second thing - like all of us i hear the difference and it annoys me.

Skilled people can of course get great super sounds from softhsynts, but again working itb is not so inspiring for me.

My process is now like this: i get sounds from hardware (bas, leads, pads, fx), percussion sounds from alchemy, and mixing w/software (eq's, compression)

(so good i've never tried hardware compressors... my bank account is so saved...)
Old 1st August 2011
Gear Nut

although being 28 i doubt i have as much experience, but have been making music on computers for about 12 years and spent alot of money on equipment in that time

i was going through constant stress about having so much stuff and not seeing the results i wanted, not finishing things, etc... but that in itself was a drive to continually piece together what i was missing in my skills through the good old scientific method of trial end error

i think it's all down to how far and deep you want to go with the knowledge. my college education cost more than 100k and it was a waste of my time and my parents money. my "gear sluttism" ended up providing me with a superior education, and one that is dynamic and unique to anyone else. on the other hand i chose drugs and art school instead of MIT like my parents wanted.

with that said, some days i go to my studio but lately i just sit on the couch with my laptop, it usually sounds better and helps the anxiety
Old 4th September 2013
Here for the gear

I liked reading this thread. Mostly because I completely relate to the feelings expressed. Being the guy who obsessed over gear WAY beyond my ability to produce music with it. Guilty as charged LOL. It got to me & still has me disappointed - but maybe it's what a lot of people end up going through. So for now instead of fetishizing another synth product I am trying to fetishize my own... Meaning that rather than eBay lusting I try to focus on the capabilities of what I have.
Respect to all the EM artists here & ones I've seen on "the tube" who demonstrate & share their knowledge. That's a real inspiration - seeing the depth of their command of whichever synth really has me convinced you don't need too much to make it effective. And that has me ready to"pare down". Maybe someday I'll have the expertise to feel comfortable with a big studio of gear but for now it's kind of dragging me down. So here's to refocusing & being productive.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Since it's the end of the year, three years later, I wanted to give an update to my fellow GSers on what happened to my "good propositions" to simplify to the bone for the new year.

At the beginning of 2011, I indeed decided to simplify, sold a LOT of stuff, and spend $799 on the Complete Composers Collection by East West. I then stayed in the studio with only the Complete Composers Collection (CCC), a computer, audio interface, monitor speakers, and a MIDI keyboard controllers. I did a lot of music that sounded like the "epic trailers" for movies, with realistic strings, brass, and loud percussion.

It lasted maybe, a week. Yes, the CCC truly is awesome, it sounded "epic"... but... but also quite vanilla flat!

I decided that it wasn't my style, I'm a hardware guy, I need to mix and match different hardware synths and drum machine and FX and... and said F It, I put the CCC back in its box and bought a freakin' Fairlight, a PPG, and a professional recording console shortly after heh

So the specter of G.A.S. rose again. I haven't stopped buying gear since, and I'm almost to the old point of 2004 (10 years ago!) when I had the 70 synths and gear (actually, I have well more than 100 now counting all the racks).

It's a cycle, people, it's a cycle. G.A.S. is a cycle, goes up and down and it's difficult to control. Maybe in 2014 I'll sell it all and buy a duduk, a drone generator and a white robe, grow a beard and go ascetic. We'll seeee...

For the time being... well, my good propositions really haven't worked out the way I said they would 3 years ago, so I'm not making any new ones for the new year. With that said...

Happy New Year to all GearSlutz!!!
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Its easy to lose a sense of purpose with song making nowadays. Producers in the 90's could make good money from their work if they were good. And there was a lot of pushing the envelop going on across the board to keep people inspired and creative. In my city, there were some great groups of electronic music producers who'd get together and throw events, so there was always a non-stressful live performance outlet, if nothing else. That kind of thing got too expensive and risky to do, with all that public liability insurance and whatnot. All those venues closed down too, and only the big commercial clubs survived.

Now you get a lot of people using synths for basic personal enjoyment - learning synthesis, enjoying the buzz of working with new sounds, solo jamming and noodling. We get audiences on youtube and soundcloud, which is not the same as performing live with other producers, in front of chilled out crowd who you can talk to afterwards. There doesn't seem to be much money in it unless you're top dog in the commercial realm.

Just saying, times have changed, don't be too hard yourself. Enjoy your synths, love making sounds on them. Create songs or just design sounds- its all good stuff IMO. If you really have to make money, you can do it ina number of ways, song making is possibly the least lucrative. If you just have to have worldwide recognition and fame, learn to Twerk or something.
Old 31st December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
I wont downsize my system a lot (tho will sell some things ) and i wont BUY synths ...that will be good if i make 1 year not to buy a synth !!!

My plans for 2011 is more music, midi in all vintage gear I have and upgrading some devices i have !!! thats all!!!

Im with you Mr. Varaldo

Roginator, considering CRAPLOAD of synth gear you bought in last 3 years since posting this, i can only say to this:

blah blah blah blah blah blah..

Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
Roginator, considering CRAPLOAD of synth gear you bought in last 3 years since posting this, i can only say to this:

blah blah blah blah blah blah..

Hahahahaha We both did the same thing
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post

So to answer the OP, sorry I won't be joining your cruesade. Why get stressed out with what you have? Build some discipline and make some rules to figure things out. If you are going to produce music, do it, don't blame it on the gear.
ditto
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

i spent not too much. got a new laptop and tone2 complete, that's it. gonna buy the glue too (years not over yet.)

on that note while komplete 9 is a better deal than the tone2 stuff (barely) i'd much rather use tone2 synths than ANY NI product other than kontakt.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

o ya also bought op-x and korg m1.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

GAS should be labeled for what it really is: a shopping disorder

If you can't control it then its an addiction- with all the anxiety, emptiness and guilt that comes with addictions. I keep fighting it- so far I'm winning, I only put in low ball- sure to be declined- offers in at Ebay and CL (hey, its a compromise!) I have actually sold more than I have bought this year, which makes the current moment dangerous as I feel I can spend the money again. So far, I have talked myself out of every urge. But if I ever see a killer deal I will probably lose control as I have once (I was the second caller for a CL Alesis Fusion 88 + amp selling for $250- dammit)

Like I said- GAS is mainly a shopping disorder. Most of us have all the tools we already need. But maybe we all need a disorder- and I have reasoned that if I can sell my hardware for about what I have paid for it then its not that bad of an addiction. I only buy when its a steal deal so I don't lose much in the end. I have only lost $200 real dollars in hardware the past two years. Its one of the reasons I am going back to hardware- its just more fun playing with colorful toys that you can sell again.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since it's the end of the year, three years later, I wanted to give an update to my fellow GSers on what happened to my "good propositions" to simplify to the bone for the new year.
I just dove into hardware this year. Not as hardcore as many here but I did drop a lot of cash in doing it. Still learning the ways of the world with it as I started with software but I don't regret it a bit.

Definitely upended my prior workflow but I don't see that as bad. And since it's entirely the fault of your webpage that there's a Roland SRV3030D in my rack, I would haZ a sad if you had given up on the hardware
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah it can feel this way for sure. On the back on my console I have 16 DB25'S connected most ending with more cables and more cables into other cables and links. You never solve the spaghetti of wiring. A wire goes bad and your fun is seriously over.
I dont have 22 keyboards and only have about 10 or so and that is way more then enough for me. I have promised to stop buying synths now in order to build my dream outboard studio, and plus I think I have allot of choice when it comes to synths. If you cant get a decent sound with 10 synths then something is wrong with you.

I have given myself a limit now, my goal is to build a small format console with EQ and Compression on every channel so focusing on this and nothing else at all!!
That means no to the Wasp, Jupi 8 and other fantastic synths!!!
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

HAHAHAH whats this thread about from 2011?
Old 31st December 2013
Deleted User
I'm new to this forum and I see the term GAS here. What the heck does it mean? Seriously.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
Old 31st December 2013
Deleted User
I had guessed Gear and Synths.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear
I'm proudly GAS free for 2014 - music is my focus again... at last. I'm down to 3 synths on an A-Frame (any excess you see in my 'have' sig are to be sold - I've chosen my 3 and they will do what I need for a good while), and a houston controller under my left hand mouse under my right - great workflow for me (much better than when I tried a control surface dead centre which only made the mouse/keyboard awkward to use).

I need both a mouse and some physical motorised faders, and I can fly around cubase with this puppy and think more musically and less in terms of numbers... It makes me consolidate tracks too (which = more likely to finish sooner).

I find the control surface (always always to the left of the computer keyboard and angled for comfort) takes my mind off wanting to noodle with synths too much too (physical fondling syndrome - PFS) as I get that fix from the control surface which is actually moving me towards achieving goals (finished mixes rather than spaced out sonic voyages of meaningless on the synths)... took me a few years to get over GAS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search