The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What I did on my Summer vacation Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

What I did on my Summer vacation

I don't get a lot of time to make music, but I got lucky this year.
Here is something I am playing around with, that was inspired by
seeing an Alexander Robotnick video on YouTube! I am nowhere near the
musician, but I love playing with vintage synths....

Please let me know how it sounds..... I have only heard it on my own system
and the iPad....

rachel
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

It sounds good - technically.

But for my taste the mix is too busy.
Mainly, i think, because the various synths play sounds that are very close to each other.
While i am the first to appreciate a nice synth/bass sound with plenty of filter movement, if you have three busy lines of those going on at the same time at the same volume the result will be confusion rather than enforcing the beat or playing the sounds off against each other.

Also, some movement within the sounds would make for some shifting textures, i.e. ultra slow LFOs to the filters modulating them ever so slightly so that the result is a constant timbral shift.

As it is there really isn't much evolvement in the piece as i hear it.

Hope i am not too harsh here, but that is what i hear.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's pretty cool.

Great synth textures.

And, I actually quite like the closeness of the lines... I'm hearing/seeing it as a cauldron of synths coming to the boil. Really like the slight dissonance of the semitonal chromatic overlaps.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Basically what Grumphh said and my 1p worth are my opinions only so pls don't feel offended by any of it if it comes across as being harsh.

also:

Intro.... too long and drawn out, doesn't capture the attention of the listener who often spends 2 or 3 seconds listening to an opening before hitting the > button.

The initial rhythm during the start sounds messed up (timing feels dodgy), one cannot make out the groove.

There needs to be more subtle evolution of sound timbres as the song progresses in order to generate and maintain interest levels. Tweak some knobs in real time or assign an envelope or lfo to handle it.

Subtle rhythmic variations add interest, ie keep to the same basic groove pattern but insert little variations at appropriate places.

Listen to any decent electroband and how they keep the groove interesting - one way of doing it is to kind of divide the song up into 32 bar segments consisting of 4 x 8 bars each. Each 8 bar segment has its little unique variation. At the end of the 4 x 8 sequence the whole thing repeats again. Doesn't have to be this way of course but it beats (scuse the pun) having the exact same thing over and over.

Needs more melodic / harmonic variation.

Track probably needs to be shorter.

To maintain interest it's often effective to build up tension within the song, work towards a climax and then release that tension after which the cycle can be repeated again. In other words, start with relatively low intensity, keep adding complexity & amplitude and then drop it down again & repeat
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

i enjoyed it but try giving it a little reverb
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search