The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So, you actually bought your DAW... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

So, you actually bought your DAW...

and now you're broke.

What is the very first VST you would purchase?

Thanks guys
Old 30th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Nomad Magnetic for 49 $. But you should hurry this sale ends soon 31 dec.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quhp View Post
and now you're broke.

What is the very first VST you would purchase?

Thanks guys
None. I'd first learn to get the most of the plugins bundled with the DAW, unless I needed something specific like an acoustic piano plugin or a good mastering limiter and it wasn't already included.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd check the freeware optiions first before purchasing anything. There's tons of really good stuff available for free nowadays. And I'm not talking about "extended trial period" - free. I mean the actual freeware software.

Check out the KWRAudio site for starters. Or google "Free VST instruments".
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
None.
thumbsup

ns
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Which DAW did I buy?

Which operating system am I using?

What type of music am I wanting to make?

Either way, I'd probably go for Xils-3 LE... $20 from audiomidi, arguably the best sounding soft synth available at any price.

.... Then I'd save up for DCAM synth squad.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Depends on which DAW you bought. With Logic you could be good to go as the bundled plug-in's are really good. Live... I'm not a fan though the creative environment it offers is 2nd to none! Reason/record... Well I guess you didn't get these because they don't support plug-in's. As far Cubase, Digital Performer or Pro Tools I'm not sure, but from what I understand their included
Plug-in's can leave something to be desired. Sure you should definitely get to know your DAW's included plug-in's and you could go the freeware route, I would say this... Buy whatever inspires you to make good music and if you have your heart set on getting another plug-in to complement your DAW's then don't let nay-sayers tell you different. If you have the $ then Komplete 7 would be a great place to start. Even if you got only one of the plug-ins that is offered in that package. Soniccharge has Synplant and a soon to be updated microtonic. Camel audio has Alchemy which is an amazing synth and super flexible. Fabfilters stuff is ok though for some reason I'm not a huge fan of their modulation system. Audio Damage makes a lot of really good sound mangling plugs. PSP vintage warmer is great for warming up your sounds.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

None.

I'd stick with using the default VST's/AU's for a while.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
None. I'd first learn to get the most of the plugins bundled with the DAW, unless I needed something specific like an acoustic piano plugin or a good mastering limiter and it wasn't already included.
What if I bought one of those $200 bundles that just came with the bare bones sequencer and none of the VST's that are usually packed in? In that case, I'd get:

Waldorf Largo
Waldorf PPG 3.v
Gmedia M-Tron Pro
SSL Waves
SoundToys Native Bundle
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
None.

I'd stick with using the default VST's/AU's for a while.
+1 None. Most of the large DAWs have a lot of synths bundled in there.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for none here too.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I bought reaper for 60 bucks and downloaded the Antress Modern Plugs.

Antress Modern Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

My first was Kontakt 3
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Oh yeah I forgot about GForce's stuff, all of it is good if your into the classics. I'll say it again though, don't let nay-Sayers get in your way. I would love to see the plug-in folders of the people who replied with "none" and hear their music. It's all about creativity right? Why ever gets you creative I would say go for it!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
What if I bought one of those $200 bundles that just came with the bare bones sequencer and none of the VST's that are usually packed in?
I don't know what you use, but I'm a Cakewalk guy, and for $200 you can get the new Sonar X1 Studio which includes tons of great FX plugs like V-Vocal, Sonitus Suite, Project-5 fx suite, tube compressors, plus the full RGC:audio suite (z3ta+, pentagon, etc) plus Dimension LE, Rapture LE and other sample-based instruments. There are plenty of high-quality plugins to keep you busy for a couple years.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about GForce's stuff, all of it is good if your into the classics. I'll say it again though, don't let nay-Sayers get in your way. I would love to see the plug-in folders of the people who replied with "none" and hear their music. It's all about creativity right? Why ever gets you creative I would say go for it!
Nobody is telling the OP not to buy any plugins ever. We are saying he should check out first whatever's bundled with his new DAW and try to get the most out of his investment; especially if his wallet's dry. Once he *knows* the bundled plugins, he'll get a good idea of what's missing and he may have saved enough money to buy something that fills the hole.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get the VoS stuff.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody is telling the OP not to buy any plugins ever. We are saying he should check out first whatever's bundled with his new DAW and try to get the most out of his investment; especially if his wallet's dry. Once he *knows* the bundled plugins, he'll get a good idea of what's missing and he may have saved enough money to buy something that fills the hole.
Thats exactly what I am saying.thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

This x2
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
+1 None. Most of the large DAWs have a lot of synths bundled in there.
I forgot this is gearslutz. So get Omnisphere, Trillian, Battery and the Korg Legacy collection. Oh wait, they all cost money, and you have none...nevermind.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I agree, he or she should get to know the software that they just purchased but obviously they started this thread for a reason right? I think what the op wanted to hear were peoples suggestions on decent software plug-in's, not if he/she should or should not buy them. An answer of "none" isn't really all that helpful in this case (though getting to know the software they already have is sound advice).
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

which DAW did you get, exactly?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Problem is, the OP hasn't said which DAW he bought or what he wants the plugin for.

In any case, the first plugin I bought was WaveArts TrackPlug 4 because I needed a CPU-efficient channel EQ/compressor (this was 2004 and I had an old Pentium 4, 1.4 GHz at the time). I still use it on nearly every track. After that, I bought a couple Voxengo plugs (CurveEQ and Elephant) for mastering, which I also still use. When I bought these, I spent weeks downloading demos and researching various plugins, and comparing against my DAW's bundled plugins before deciding. Because of this I have bought only a few FX/dynamics plugins but I use most of them regularly, along with many of the Sonar plugins.

Softsynths are a whole different story. I've bought many softsynths on impulse, but many of them I've rarely used. Other than drums, I could do most of my softsynth work with the plugins included with Sonar.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

kontakt, then omnisphere, then massive is what id do nexters
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

I just got Cubase 5.5 and won't be getting anything for a while. On my list, however, are some UAD EQ, Waves dynamics, and Omnisphere synth.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
I agree, he or she should get to know the software that they just purchased but obviously they started this thread for a reason right? I think what the op wanted to hear were peoples suggestions on decent software plug-in's, not if he/she should or should not buy them. An answer of "none" isn't really all that helpful in this case (though getting to know the software they already have is sound advice).

yep- but thanks for all the commentsthumbsup

Logic

Last edited by quhp; 30th December 2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: ps- Logic
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

If it's logic, get to know all the synths bundled with it. They are top notch.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Logic
FFS

Sit down and Lern2Logic heh Once you know what Logic and it's plugs can do, then worry about plugins. You'll have a much better grasp of what you're looking for and need
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

[www.buchty.net] Section Ensoniq

Great sounding FREE vst of the ESQ-1/SQ-80.

And then:

Waldorf Largo
NI Massive
NI FM8

Maybe check out of the Arturia stuff to see if you like those.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie View Post
If it's logic, get to know all the synths bundled with it. They are top notch.
As above.

I'll stand by earlier comment of none, and get to know Logic's default ones... there is a lot you can do with just ES-2, Ultrabeat, Space Designer and Delay Designer.

For recommendations past that? I only have NI Komplete 6 and Camel Audio Alchemy... thats all I need for soft synths. Add SoundToys for effects, and I'm sorted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search