The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
69-year-old Club DJ Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
this seems more like a liberation of energy, a series of body movements in response to the anxiety caused not only by the music that's pumping, but also by whatever narcotics are involved in the equation.
I fully agree with the first part: liberation of energy...well put, that man. It's not about self-consciously trying to dance well, or to attract some girl...it's exactly what you said: liberation of energy. It's tribal, transcendental...dancing alone yet as one with everyone else.

Entheogenic consumption is a part of the psychedelic scene, naturally, but it is not all-encompassing. You may be surprised how many dance like that sober. It might sound cheesy to non-believers, but you can simply be high on the music and the energy around you.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
I'd also like more diverse sets. The minimal techno festivals around north Germany in the summer are so boring: 5 stages all playing the same dead 125bpm crap. The people apparently love it, but when you watch them dance you see no energy there...weird.

But regarding language, I was referring to naming concepts to help those who cannot separate them. And generally I don't mind the naming of genres, for it helps us to find the music we like.
Yeah I know where you are coming from with that idea. I just went off on my own tangent, sorry. heh
Old 30th December 2010
FYI Goa Gil has been at it for a very very long time...

Psy (and all its variations) is not my cup of tea but I have some friends that produce it and love it. I'll give them one thing they are usually pretty openminded people.

@Simonator its nothing a tab wouldn't sort out

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I went to rest that weekend 3 times over 4 days. Everytime I woke up GoaGil was still playing....

Haha! Love it. Hope to visit a Goa Gil festi this coming summer.
Old 30th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Dbl pst
Old 30th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha! Love it. Hope to visit a Goa Gil festi this coming summer.
You should he has a style of it's own. He makes the set descending. Thus giving you energy to the mind as the enrgy from the body depleets from heavy dancing. Remember to eat lot's fruits and drink fresh water if you want to keep up.

Also + 1 on the dancing sober. The music has enough vibrations on it's own to give you the needed flow. I always dance my ass off when good music is around even if I'm tired and at my job ( at least I nod my head and a foot or two).

An electronic scene that relies solely on drug taking and socializing for the sake of it uses the music as an excuse and it's short lived. Just like this commercial minimal stuff that's popular now as you say.. The trend wil pass. It will be another genre that will be the soundtrack for the decaying teenage workclassese of the world to take drugs and look cool. We have here a scene just like that. Needless to say one of the resons i paused djing and focused a lot on production.

BTW there are some gems hiding in minimal especially the techno re-fueling of the last 2 years my gooood.

Sound design plus analog goodness is always a win from my side.....
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I fully agree with the first part: liberation of energy...well put, that man. It's not about self-consciously trying to dance well, or to attract some girl...it's exactly what you said: liberation of energy. It's tribal, transcendental...dancing alone yet as one with everyone else.

Entheogenic consumption is a part of the psychedelic scene, naturally, but it is not all-encompassing. You may be surprised how many dance like that sober. It might sound cheesy to non-believers, but you can simply be high on the music and the energy around you.
Oh yes, totally agree; I've always thought that music alone does get you high, it's the only drug that is taken through the ears heh...

Edit: EVERYONE'S AN ADDICT...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not about self-consciously trying to dance well, or to attract some girl
I get what you are saying... but some people do this without pogoing and flailing their arms around in spirals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
@Simonator its nothing a tab wouldn't sort out
... Yep, I went to plenty of nights like this when I first discovered clubbing. A lot of the trance clubs in the 90's used to have this stuff on in the second room, and it was common at the type of after-parties that rolled on through the next day... like 414 Coldharbour Lane or that place on Brixton Hill after you'd come out of the fridge.

I really didn't realise people still made this type of thing nowadays... but it seems people are chatting about it here a lot recently... is this music making a comeback in popularity?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can anyone remember the name of the club in the arches at London Bridge that used to do crusty trance nights circa 1999-2001... it closed years ago.
It's killing me trying to remember.

Used to be two tunnels as rooms with different DJs.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
like 414 Coldharbour Lane or that place on Brixton Hill after you'd come out of the fridge.
Classic! Even though we've ended up here on this forum in 2010 disagreeing about the merits of underground hard dance music, we very likely bumped into each other in Brixton.

I used to go to the George 4, Fridge Samsara nights, 414...all that good stuff. That was '99 - '02 I think. Reactivate Trance and Nukleuz Hard House were the popular numbers at the time.

Remember Astral Phoenix? That was another part of London...Tyssen Street, I think. They had some brilliant psy nights. The Dome was good too (or was it called Drome?).
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can anyone remember the name of the club in the arches at London Bridge that used to do crusty trance nights circa 1999-2001... it closed years ago.
It's killing me trying to remember.

Used to be two tunnels as rooms with different DJs.
Haha...I just mentioned it...Dome, or Drome.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh well, Simon...I take back what I said when I assumed you lacked understanding or experience of such scenes.

Shame you don't feel it anymore tho'.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha...I just mentioned it...Dome, or Drome.
LMFAO :-)

That's the one! Ha ha!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh well, Simon...I take back what I said when I assumed you lacked understanding or experience of such scenes.

Shame you don't feel it anymore tho'.
Ha thumbsup

It's okay... someday your tastes might develop too heh
[/jokes]
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

And yes... George 4... that's the one!

I actually live really just around the corner from 414 nowadays. Ha. Had some freaky times in there!

So you used to live in London, but now you are in Berlin??
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's okay... someday your tastes might develop too heh
[/jokes]
cheeky fekkar fuuck
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I think there is alot more alcohol at psytrance parties now and people aren't dancing like they are tripping balls on acid because they are not.
On the other hand how exactly are you supposed to dance to a 16th note machine gun kick/bass at 150bpm besides jumping around.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
And yes... George 4... that's the one!

I actually live really just around the corner from 414 nowadays. Ha. Had some freaky times in there!

So you used to live in London, but now you are in Berlin??
Aw man, I had some messy times in the George. That was my favourite place. 414 was dark as hell sometimes, remember how complicated it was going up and down them spiral stairs?

Aye...been in Berlin now 4 years. I did squat parties in London for a bit, up to maybe 2004...then had a time out in south Germany. I enjoy Berlin a lot, it suits my current age and mindset, but it is nowhere near as hedonistic and spontaneous as I remember London.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
cheeky fekkar fuuck
heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtrader View Post
how exactly are you supposed to dance to a 16th note machine gun kick/bass at 150bpm besides jumping around.
Here's a good example of a near-150bpm psy track, with the 'machine-gun' bassline, but is progressive enough to find many different elements to dance to.

Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
I really didn't realise people still made this type of thing nowadays... but it seems people are chatting about it here a lot recently... is this music making a comeback in popularity?
Yeah my friends that love it have been trying for years to tell its making a comeback and this and that, but nah... its still the same old basslines from '95.

It just never really went away, just moved countries/continents Spain has a huge psy scene, its pretty big in S America too. Anyway back in the day psy was all about psychedelics and it pretty much still is except for the vegan travelers.

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search