The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sylenth1. Should i BUY it Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sylenth1. Should i BUY it

Sorry i just had to vent about this. I am looking at gettin Sylenth1 and i thought i'd check some video's on youtube about the synth to see if it will help me make my mind up. What i found was absolutely amazing.

I must have checked 20 different uploaders and video's by them and 3 of them were using non-cracked versions of the software. That means the other 17 or so were all using cracked versions. I just can not understand that. How is anyone stupid enough to even upload a video with 'registered to Team Peace-Out' written on the interface.

Besides that i can't imagine it is doing Lennard any good that everyone is using cracked versions of his software. So maybe you can all tell me. Should i go buy Sylenth1? What makes it stand out. What i am noticing is that it seems to have really punchy envelopes that make it really cut through the mix. That and the per osc unison options.

So i already have Synth Squad, Twin2, Zebra, Komplete7, PolyKB2, Ace. Should i add Sylenth.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sylenth1 is an awesome soft-synth, but judging by what you already have, I wouldn't buy it. It's very easy to go overboard with a ton of soft synths when you really only need a handful. I have about 5 soft synths I use regularly for synthy sounds, plus a few more, and I could still probably get rid of one of them at least. I used to have a ton of them

Sylenth1 does sound really good, though, and it's VERY easy to program.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Question is what synth that i already have will give me big supersaws and super sharp plucks. I can't seem to get that out of my current selection of synths. Maybe i am doing something wrong though. Maybe i need to compress the hell out of them.

And it seems to be really easy on the cpu, which most of my current ones arnt
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhile View Post
How is anyone stupid enough to even upload a video with 'registered to Team Peace-Out' written on the interface.
Well, they don't violate the DMCA, so they're not what Hollywood cares about

Quote:
I can't seem to get that out of my current selection of synths. Maybe i am doing something wrong though.
Zebra should certainly be capable of those kinds of sounds.

Have you tried layering several instances and linking up the controllers (so moving the cutoff of one moves it of all)?

Post some sound demos and describe how you tackle the process, then we can point out points of improvement.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Well you see i like ease of use. If i can get a thick stacked sound out of one synth then why layer 3 for the same result? I have tried with zebra but it just sounds a lot more digital. The closest i can get is actually Massive which seems to have very similar envelopes to Sylenth.

An example of the sharp envelope and the sound i like is easy to make in sylenth. I have included a short 1 note clip to show what i mean. That is an extremely simple sound but i can't get the same bite or sqwelch with any other synth. I am just using one saw osc with 8x unison set to 100 stereo and 3.00 detune. osc is set to retrigger. For the rest i have the filter set at 75 hz with 1.7 res and 1.3 drive in 24db mode. There is only an envelope on the filter modulating at 7.4 and the decay is set to 4.3, sustain 1.7. Couldnt be any simpler.

The second clip is the closest i could get and that was using Massive. I think you'l see there is a big difference
Attached Files

pluck.mp3 (99.5 KB, 4852 views)

massive.mp3 (99.5 KB, 4797 views)

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Check in Massive's "OSC" tab - switch on "Restart via Gate". The phenomenon you describe is not the envelope but the fact that all oscillators start at the same phase instead of being free-running.

If you add compression to that I'm not suprised that the result is such a clear attack.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have selected the restart all phase at the same time in Massive. And i havnt used any compression on either of the two sounds. These are 100% coming straight out of the synth with no fx. And that includes fx on the synths. All turned off.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Massive, sylenth1 and my virus TI are my 3 weapons of choice I say go for it!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Sylenth 1

+1
buy it, it is one of the best virtual synths ever for electronic music
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Nice to hear you both think it's worth it. Care to comment on why i should though seeing as i already have a few other 'decent' synths.

I am getting more and more into making my own sounds so the included presets are not important to me. I also find the fx section to be rather poor so i'd be using other plugins for fx. All the presets are totally swamped in fx from what i see in the demo.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice to hear you both think it's worth it. Care to comment on why i should though seeing as i already have a few other 'decent' synths.

I am getting more and more into making my own sounds so the included presets are not important to me. I also find the fx section to be rather poor so i'd be using other plugins for fx. All the presets are totally swamped in fx from what i see in the demo.
There is a point of diminishing returns with the acquisition of a bunch soft synths. If you can find the time, demo every VI and soft synth you can get a hold of for about a month or two, spending time with each one, messing with it, tweaking it, listening to it in context with other soft synths, but especially listening to them in the context of some hardware synths or even a rompler. Then categorize them and choose the 'best in class' VI/Synth and really learn those few. Much like the hardware synths of yesteryear, you'll find that you'll gravitate to a certain group of soft synths for your main creative palette, and then go for it.

When you get into your creative zone, you'll find that you will gravitate toward certain synths almost all of the time, and then you'll know which ones are your 'axes'. Also, the fewer soft synths you have to focus on while creating, the better your work flow will generally be, unless you get a ton of soft synths and bring them under a united GUI such as Kore 2 (or Kore 3 if and/or when it comes out), RAX, Maschine or the like, then it tends to be a little bit different. Keep it as simple as possible and find out if Sylenth is really 'that synth' for you.

- KS
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have in the past owned à lot more. Including all Papens synths, v-station, ultra Analog and Alchemy. I sold all them because i was losing my way. I had too many choices and didnt know where to start. I still deel now that i have too many synths.

The last couple of tunes i have designed all my sounds from scratch. Amazingly i have done 90% of these with Twin 2. That is à synth i almost sold and had never used prior to these last two songs. I always used presets and only now notice differences in synths as i am designing sounds. So i think it is funny i have fallen in love with à synth i never previously used or rated. It just kind of fits me.

I find absynth and fm8 too complex to get into. Massive seems nice but for some reason ive never really used that either. The Xils synths were recent buys because they sound so analog but again ive found no use for them. Synth Squad looks awesome but ive so far only used strobe for à couple of basslines.

Basically i have all these synths and i use none of them. Id love to just pick one or two to add to Twin for sound design and really get to know them. Problem is i wouldnt know which ones to pick. I felt the Same kind of connection with Sylenth as with Twin. It just felt comfortable and easy to get good sounds.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdestler View Post
+1
buy it, it is one of the best virtual synths ever for electronic music
+3 Its on almost everything I do. Low cpu hit, great sounds. What more do you want.

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

+4
I use it on everything. It doesnt tax your cpu like other vst also. It is 1 of my favorite programs.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, you should definitely buy Sylenth1. Total no-brainer IMHO.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

haha, i wake up this morning and i see another 3 recommendations but absolutely no reason as to why the synth is a 'no brainer'.

I would love to hear more reasons rather than just positive statements.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I felt the Same kind of connection with Sylenth as with Twin. It just felt comfortable and easy to get good sounds.
After reading that, I say get Sylenth then and ditch something else you aren't using. And another post you did about plucky, sharp sounds, those were definitely something I found easy to make in Sylenth. It's filter and envelopes are some sort of magic or something, but those are easy, easy sounds to make in Sylenth, as well as almost percussively punchy basses. Other synths can do them, too, but they're very easy to come up with when using Sylenth1.

If I didn't already have three synth plugins that did VA sounds I'd probably have pulled the trigger on Sylenth, but I just don't need another VA even if it is awesome. But after reading the posts you've added to this thread, I'd say go for it, buy Sylenth, and sell something else you aren't getting the results you need from.
Old 30th December 2010
I own Sylenth among Omnisphere, DCAM, Komplete 5 and FabFilter One (and probably some others I dont remember now).

I dont think I have even installed Sylenth on my newest partition. It is definetively a cool synth, but is vastly covered by my other synths. I do use it sometimes, just to have a new interface to look at

Maybe, if Lennar allows it, you could buy it from me. I dont see the point in having so many soft-synths anymore, id rather really dwelve into the ones I have and learn the inside out.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Sylenth licenses can be transferred, no problem.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Any of you compared Synapse Dune to Sylenth. That seems to get the same snappy envelopes when required but i think the unison sounds a lot more 'digital'
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any of you compared Synapse Dune to Sylenth. That seems to get the same snappy envelopes when required but i think the unison sounds a lot more 'digital'
I haven't, but it sounds like you've already heard what you need to make the decision between then
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Yes i have a tendency to overthink things

In the end things always turn out different than you think anyway.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
haha, i wake up this morning and i see another 3 recommendations but absolutely no reason as to why the synth is a 'no brainer'.

Eh those positive statements are the reasons... what part of "low cpu hit, great sounds" doesn't make sense. It just sounds great esp on bass, nice filters. And there is something about its sound that sits very nicely in the mix. It just works.

I own ACE, Zebra and XILS 3 and though they all sound very nice but for some reason they just don't sit in the mix as nicely.

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I will give you one: together with Dune they have fully replaced my Access Virus (now on sale). can't think of a better argument.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
both are great. I generally reach for Sylenth when I want something that cuts through the mix and Dune for monstruous supersaws, but they can cover most EDM sounds very well.
Old 30th December 2010
Here's a nice Sylenth1 demo for you to help you make up your mind

It's the very first track I wrote after I bought Sylenth1. All the sounds (except the drums) are made using Sylenth1 with almost no additional processing/FX at all.

Spas & Aflecht - The Right Answer (C64 Edit)

As a bonus, Here's another 100% Sylenth1 track (except the drums again and the vocal part at the chorus). It's a very Sylenth1 sounding track:
Kraku - Shine
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Here's a nice Sylenth1 demo for you to help you make up your mind

It's the very first track I wrote after I bought Sylenth1. All the sounds (except the drums) are made using Sylenth1 with almost no additional processing/FX at all.

Spas & Aflecht - The Right Answer (C64 Edit)

As a bonus, Here's another 100% Sylenth1 track (except the drums again and the vocal part at the chorus). It's a very Sylenth1 sounding track:
Kraku - Shine

That is one seriously wicked and fat bassline. How on earth did you get it to sound that fat.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

btw Kraku did you design these sounds yourself or are they all presets? Nice tunes btw. Very much my style, especially shine.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
btw Kraku did you design these sounds yourself or are they all presets? Nice tunes btw. Very much my style, especially shine.
I designed all the sounds myself for both of the songs.

Which songs bassline did you think sounded fat and wicked?

EDIT:
Actually it doesn't matter which one sounded fat, here's the "secret":

fat = bass
loud = higher frequencies

That means that if your bass doesn't sound fat enough, turn down the low-pass filter cutoff frequency and turn up the volume. Now the bass still fits in the mix but sounds much more fat. If it isn't fat enough, turn the cutoff even lower and the the volume a little higher still, until it sounds fat enough

Enjoy!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I like both but the The Right Answer sound amazingly fat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search