The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Senheiser HD 650 for Electronic music? Studio Headphones
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Senheiser HD 650 for Electronic music?

Hello, I have been using a pair of Sony MRD-7509 for the past 4 years.
I work a lot at night wearing headphones and when Im in the studio I use Genelec 8040 monitors.
I got to know and trust my Genelecs, but I don feel the same way about my Sony headphones.
lot of thing I do , even selecting sounds are mislead choices on the headphones because when I take things to the studio they sound very different and not for good.
so Im trying to upgrade my headphones with something better that can come close to the "Genelec" sound I have in the studio.
anyone using the Senheiser HD 650 wiht Electronic Dance Music?
opinions?
Thank you
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
i don't have space for monitors so i use HD650 all the time. i'm very happy with them and my mixes translate well to loud speakers.
Old 30th December 2010
yeah I use them - they are good. Its arguable you can look at the hd600 also which are comparable but a bit cheaper...some like hd600 more...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I also have 8040s, but I use the HD650s late at night and like them a lot, very comfortable and open, and I agree with what the above posters have said
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I also read about the AKG 701 being better in some cases.
Its hard to rely on reviews and all that cause we all listen to different styles of music, thats why I specified on opinions from people who do listen to techno, house style of music.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have them. I find them dark, which imo affects the clarity/detail of the highs. I just got them so i'm still adjusting, but that's my issue with them. Apparently the 600's are a tad brighter.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
I have them. I find them dark, which imo affects the clarity/detail of the highs. I just got them so i'm still adjusting, but that's my issue with them. Apparently the 600's are a tad brighter.
I read they need like 100 hours to brake in and start sounding properly
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey all you HD users, How do the go being driven from the headphone jack of a macbook pro? Is that a silly idea altogether? or fairly reasonable?
Old 30th December 2010
There is endless debate over which is best vs the 701s...they say the HD650 have more bass but its a subby bass and once worn in the 701 is firmer...at the end of the day unless you can try a pair of worn in ones to compare its difficult to tell...but they are both well up tot he task...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
Hey all you HD users, How do the go being driven from the headphone jack of a macbook pro? Is that a silly idea altogether? or fairly reasonable?
Bad idea. HD600s like good amping. Apogee duet works fine however.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have Sony MDR-7509HD, Ultrasone Pro 2500, Audio Technica ATH M-50, and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Of these, I prefer the HD 650s for mixing, the 7509s or M-50s for tracking, and the 7509s for listening to music. The Ultrasone 2500s come in a close second to the 650s for mixing for me, YMMV.

No experience with the 701s.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 View Post
I read they need like 100 hours to brake in and start sounding properly
That won't really make a huge difference. I have 200 hours on them, and they still sound dark to me. They are definetly not "in your face headphones", the soundstage is very good, but I find the sparkle of the highs is lost in the backgroud.Not trying to bash these cans, that's just what i am experiencing with them.They are however extremely comfortable,and because of their laidback nature you can use them for hours without ear fatigue. I run them out of my apogee duet.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been looking for a new set of cans and been seriously contemplating these...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search