The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I have my heart set on a MM+. Love the sound but too unreliable?? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

So I have my heart set on a MM+. Love the sound but too unreliable??

After playing on my friends MM I became infatuated.. NEED ONE!!!

Still concerned about the reliability issues involved though..
So your opinions please?? I'm in two minds right now, Help me out!?

Jonny
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

It all depends on the providence of the machine you get hold of. Has it been overhauled and had the contacts and ribbons replaced, caps redone, latest autotune ( that being decades ago but still important )

If not, make sure you know a good tech nearby who knows the instrument.

They sound massive, and are gorgeous to look at and play... but there is a HUGE load of circuitry cramped into a very small place and with the + versions the little old CPU is pushed to the limits to handle the basic MIDI operations .... non + tend to be easier to fix.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
It all depends on the providence of the machine you get hold of. Has it been overhauled and had the contacts and ribbons replaced, caps redone, latest autotune ( that being decades ago but still important )

If not, make sure you know a good tech nearby who knows the instrument.

They sound massive, and are gorgeous to look at and play... but there is a HUGE load of circuitry cramped into a very small place and with the + versions the little old CPU is pushed to the limits to handle the basic MIDI operations .... non + tend to be easier to fix.
Yipp - totally aware of all this, which holds me back from pulling the trigger on one.. I'd like/LOVE a LAMM, but they are hard to come across on eBay and I'm no really willing to pay another 5K for Mod plus shipping from AU..
It's between a MM+, JP8 (not quite as versatile, but still..) and a Trident.
That would be my final poly and then I'm set IMO. (I hope) whole modular thing is started to own my life!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Trident is not in anyway near the same league as MM and JP8. I does make a nice room heater and coffee table tho ! It's alright but not really a 'synth' in the same way as the others.

If the MM you buy has been looked after and updated then there could be no problems for a while.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trident is not in anyway near the same league as MM and JP8.
In flexability, you have a point.

In sheer sound quality, I beg to differ!
Old 29th December 2010
Johnny - just get one. Make sure its as good a history and condition as you can and take a leap. Whats the worst that could happen in this case? It might break down a bit and you are forced to sell it on. But you tried...

Prudence doesnt make a very musical sound...stikestike
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you can hunt one down, sure, why not?

I'll keep an eye out for you, we both know where one is, but if I hear of anything, I'll let you know.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
In flexability, you have a point.

In sheer sound quality, I beg to differ!

I didn't find the quality of the trident to be very good at all in fact the poly synth part was fairly thin - sure when you layer up the string and brass layers and add that lovely flanger things get more dense which is nice but I found it to be a bit of a one trick pony ... you get the thick sounds with the layering but you also always end up with a strings and brass sound ontop of a thin synth sound.... it's hard to get away from that tonality. On the other hand if you don't use the brass and stings then you have a mild mannered poly synth.

Each to they're own tho !
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

MM?

minimoog? what are we talking about here?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
MM?

Memorymoog.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
MM?

Memory-Moog Plus.
Think most people around here know what that stands for especially considering I was talking about not being able to shell out so much for a LAMM etc..
If you look at my sig you'll see I already own a Mini Moog.

Anyway, think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.. Just gonna wait till I find one in great condition that has been serviced etc.

In all honesty as much as I love the JP-8, the MM seemed a little more versatile.. Also the JX3P fills in quite nicely for it, but still leaves something to be desired after owning a JP8 in the past.. Hmmmm...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Memory-Moog Plus.
Think most people around here know what that stands for especially considering I was talking about not being able to shell out so much for a LAMM etc..
If you look at my sig you'll see I already own a Mini Moog.
ok.

didn't notice your sig.. i kind of skip over the sigs in general. initially I thought your thread title was referring to a monomachine. but whatever...

happy hunting on the new synth. i hope you can find a good one.

what's a LAMM? heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
what's a LAMM? heh
Lintronics Advanced Memorymoog Modification

Modification for the MemoryMoog that allegedly makes it more awesome, expands midi, filter input, stability etc etc
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be my final poly and then I'm set IMO.
If it's any consolation (?) from one slut to another, I'm making a concious decision to stop buying synths... I have enough to last me a lifetime, and whilst there is a few I want to still get my hands on (Mini D, MM+, Synthex, Neuron etc) I've decided that I have enough cool bits of gear...

I think I might get the OctoTrack, some nice outboard (Theriomonic Culture?), maybe a Capybana (friend just got one) and then start saving for a Buchla.

Going to be selling off a few things in the new year, but I think I'm done and have a nice rig which I need to use a bit more.

Quote:
(I hope) whole modular thing is started to own my life!
Ahhh... modular

Finalising a 6x84hp Euro setup, then a couple of DIY serge panels, and that's me done... then that Buchla 200e system.... hopefully by 2015
Old 30th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

And here's me the odd man out thinking it was a MonoMachine + Drive until I saw it compared to analog synths.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's between a MM+, JP8 (not quite as versatile, but still..) and a Trident.
That would be my final poly and then I'm set IMO. (I hope) whole modular thing is started to own my life!
i thought you just sold a JP8?

I think I did answer you in your last thread about this...reliability lamm etc..

just add..the MM sounds nothing like any of the other monster polys and thats due in the main to it having the uniqueness of 3 VCO's...makes a huge difference to the tonal possiblities..its much more organic than a JP8 more like an OB-X in that way..very flexible and capable of a ton of stuff..
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
i thought you just sold a JP8?

I think I did answer you in your last thread about this...reliability lamm etc..

just add..the MM sounds nothing like any of the other monster polys and thats due in the main to it having the uniqueness of 3 VCO's...makes a huge difference to the tonal possiblities..its much more organic than a JP8 more like an OB-X in that way..very flexible and capable of a ton of stuff..
I sold my JP8 a few years ago and regretted it ever since.. Would love an OBX but they are super rare aroun these parts. I've only ever see one on AU eBay and it sold for 4K. The guy had the thing completely over-hauled with midi and heaps of spare parts to make it future proof. So pissed of I didn't grab it.. Got the Chroma instead though so kind if worked out for the best.

I'm not really sure I'd descrie the MM being more organic than this two synth.. Too me MM is a bit more heavy hitting and ballsy..
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
I sold my JP8 a few years ago and regretted it ever since.. Would love an OBX but they are super rare aroun these parts. I've only ever see one on AU eBay and it sold for 4K. The guy had the thing completely over-hauled with midi and heaps of spare parts to make it future proof. So pissed of I didn't grab it.. Got the Chroma instead though so kind if worked out for the best.

I'm not really sure I'd descrie the MM being more organic than this two synth.. Too me MM is a bit more heavy hitting and ballsy..
out of interest how much is shipping for a big package from US to Oz?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
out of interest how much is shipping for a big package from US to Oz?

Around $500

Our dollar is actually stronger than the USD right now so everyone I know is buying up big time!
It's the first time in 28 years this has happened..
A few years ago we were only getting 60 US cents to the AU dollar!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Dont you love it when you type a long ****ing message and you send it only for it all to get ****ing lost in cyber ****ing space...

Here is the short version of said lost message: Try a JP6.. the polyphonic unison modes are cool- can sound brash and fat like a MM.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you have a very good analog synth tech semi-near to you, buy one. I don't care how stable the seller claims it to be - after shipping across the ocean, with the vibration and temperature changes, odds are it will need some minor servicing initially (even if it is just a calibration).

Also try to get the full printed service manual. The schems are too large and detailed to get as PDF and then print them yourself and working on a synth with a computer screen as a reference is a non-starter (for me anyway).

If there's a tech who hasn't had a lot of time working on the big polysynths, then there could be some challenges ahead. Yes, you will get 20 posts from people claiming their MM has been stable and trouble-free from day 1. However, prepare for the case that you are not in that group.

As an aside - I wonder how many owners of old analogs have actually heard properly calibrated and tuned versions of their synths? Does eveyone do a full calibration and setup or just 'plug and play'?

Some of the wildly different comments on the exact same synth could be the result of the natural aging and lack of attention causing small issues that affect the overall sound.

just wondering.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Each to they're own tho !
Obviously so heh

I don't find it thin sounding at all. Its like a wider Polysix to my ears.

I would say back on subject though, that the MM is the most beautiful sounding 5-oct poly imo. OBx coming a close 2nd.

...Just get one.. & then worry about reliability heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
And here's me the odd man out thinking it was a MonoMachine + Drive until I saw it compared to analog synths.
you aren't the only one
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Memorymoog in my opinion is unique among the vintage polysynths for its ability to sound as gentle as a feather, or as heavy as a wrecking ball -

Like any 30 year old synth... you know what you're going in for - but if you love the sound and can afford it... go for it.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

You might want to read this thread regarding the LAMM -

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...og-lamm-2.html

I don't think it is worth anywhere near what the upgrade costs. Just look out for a regular MM+ that is working and tunes all voices.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

A friend and I once compared the Oscillators on his LAMM and his Prophet 5 rev 3 and they sounded identical, I guess they use the same chips so osc wise they are no different. Filterwise, well, they are.

What I hated about the MM's I've played is the latency when playing the keyboard or through midi. I think the LAMM fixes this, but I can't remember for sure. I liked the sound over all, and the flexibility is nice, but IIRC the modulation amounts were all tied together, and some through the mod wheel, and that made me a bit frustrated as I was used to synths that allowed finer control over modulation to different destinations.

Still a great synth, 3 osc's are so much better than 2, but that latency thing just spoils it for me.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict
Buy two... then you'll always have some spare parts.... that's what I did with my CS80's...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Johnny - just get one. Make sure its as good a history and condition as you can and take a leap. Whats the worst that could happen in this case? It might break down a bit and you are forced to sell it on. But you tried...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
You might want to read this thread regarding the LAMM -

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...og-lamm-2.html

I don't think it is worth anywhere near what the upgrade costs. Just look out for a regular MM+ that is working and tunes all voices.
i watched the video and agree with the guy who says it sounds very brash/harsh. At least with the setting in the video. Based off a crappy video and one patch, i don't like it. LOL
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
i watched the video and agree with the guy who says it sounds very brash/harsh. At least with the setting in the video. Based off a crappy video and one patch, i don't like it. LOL
The main character, yes, is brassy/aggressive.

However, you can make it sound much more gentle as well:

This is an example of a typically '80s, gentle, string pad on the Memorymoog

This is an example of a "behaved" synth bass / comp on the Memorymoog

This is a song that I recorded exclusively with a Memorymoog (everything but the drums, which are Roland samples) - This recording isn't good, but the sounds are not brash/harsh, as you can hear.

This is another song that I recorded almost exclusively with the Memorymoog (the choir is TX16W, the drums are Roland samples, everything else is Memorymoog) - In this one, too, you can hear how it can be "tamed" to sound "classy"
Old 3rd January 2011
I have to say I have always heard the MM to be quite brash and almost harsh sounding as its natural character...somewhat like the Chroma Polaris...(if you find the livingsounds post on his polaris it sounds very MM to me...)...
But yes I think with programming it can be softer...but not like the P5 or OBs where even harsh sounds come out sweet...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search