The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
low cost analogue mixing consoles Single-Channel Preamps
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

low cost analogue mixing consoles

I'm looking for something to add that warmth to my recordings, is their any low cost mixing consoles that would do this? I was looking at the zed16, but I cant quite get myself to spend that amount of cash when I haven't used a mixing desk before.

Would the smaller Soundcraft m12 desks add anything to to the character of my mixes if I used it as a summing mixer?
Old 29th December 2010
The general consensus is that you won't get "that warmth" (ie the BIG console sound) from a small console. The general consensus is that your better off just running your whole mix through some hi-end mic pres or eq/compressor.

However having a mixer (small but quality) in your setup offers other cool advantages (routing and a bit of noise floor) and will change the way you work.

Old 29th December 2010
TLR
Gear Head

As most work is done via comping anyway, you could try investing in a good single channel pre-amp like the Golden Age Project Pre 73 (Golden Age Project Pre 73), fantastic unit for the price and will give your recordings some subtle warmth and character. This will also leave you with enough cash to get a usable interface, depending on the amount of inputs you require. Some plugins might also help a bit, but I would not recommend it for most styles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search