The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who's sporting an Electronic Drum setup? and..
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Who's sporting an Electronic Drum setup? and..

Who here is sporting an Electronic drum setup (Ekit)? Whatcha got? Those of you who have experience, what is your preference in manufacturers?

How do others who may come and play and lay down drum tracks Via Ekit generally feel about it?

I have a decent acoustic set, but it may have to go due to living changes. I don't record alot of other people, but occasionally I help out. Gotten some decent results with my real kit, but I often fly in samples to help out cause my record space isn't stellar.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I use 2003 Roland V-drums TD-6 (not the mesh) w/ Battery3 and Ultrabeat in Logic. I get incredible results but this is my personal setup and not really used by clients. I'm very satisfied with the sounds I get.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nice

I know I have always not liked Ekits, not that I am a great drummer, but they are getting much better in feel. Plus with the ability to trigger better sounds is a huge plus.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

The sound libraries are exponentially better these days, especially the velocity mapping. If you know your way around the settings in your drum module you can get damn close to some realistic sounding drums.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Im using an old analogue UP5 that sounds a lot like a simmons, and a Pearl Syncussion. 8 pads in total, and sounds amazing. Trying to find some old simmons pads though...

alexP
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

TD-12 owner here. I'll be honest, I used to HATE the idea of an E-kit; but NYC is not the best place to own a real kit, and my practicing was down to 2 days a week (when I was lucky) and as a result my chops where suffering greatly.

I'm just blown away by the editing capabilities of the TD-12, the expressiveness (gotta love those mesh pads) and the way it integrates so well in an electronic setup as well as in a rock one. You can create very realistic sounding sets on this thing. I usually go for real kits myself (though recently I've been creating some industrial type kits as well).

I like to trigger my EMX-1 with the TD-12; you set it up as your master and route the start/stop function to any one of the pads/triggers, this works specifically well when playing live on top of a sequence. And talking about sequence, the sequencer is simple, fun and fast (and it also does quantization, but I tend to stay away from that, natural drifts are always welcome).
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Latency?

I am really interested in using an e-kit to play in MIDI parts (triggering Battery, Drum Racks, etc.). How bad is the latency?
Old 29th December 2010
obs
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi View Post
I am really interested in using an e-kit to play in MIDI parts (triggering Battery, Drum Racks, etc.). How bad is the latency?
It's basically just the output latency on your soundcard, there's a little latency added by midi but it's pretty much negligible. Ultimately you're just playing a VSTi over midi, the fact that it's coming from an ekit rather than a controller keyboard is pretty irrelevant.

For my home studio, I went with an alesis DM5 kit and then added a roland v-drum mesh snare. Have that pointing at Battery or Maschine and I'm very happy
Old 29th December 2010
DrumKAT here - coupled with Elektron RIG and some VSTs. Really great feel. I love that I can play the KAT with sticks and hands and get a very satifying results. Plus its built like a tank - literaly.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

I just got an Alesis USB Studio kit that uses the Alesis I/O trigger to midi module. I am triggering Addictive Drums and so far I am enjoying the results. I still have some adjustments to do but so far everything is working nicely. BTW my system isn't the greatest either and the latency is hardly a factor.

I am finding Addictive Drums to be pretty realistic but I think I need to work on my own presets to get the cymbals right. I send each drum to its own track in Cubase and treat it like acoustic drums but I still feel like the cymbals a lacking.

I'm a bass player and not the best drummer so it's nice to be able to lay down ideas on the Ekit and record the midi with quantize on and it kinda fixes my mistakes. I can then go back and edit my many mistakes! I have also recorded with quantize off which sounds more natural but makes it harder for a crappy drummer to repair the suck.heh
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting discussion. I have an acoustic kit and no extra space to put an e-kit, but I'm considering the Alesis ControlPad for recording more dynamic tracks on my electronic tunes.
Old 29th December 2010
obs
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Interesting discussion. I have an acoustic kit and no extra space to put an e-kit, but I'm considering the Alesis ControlPad for recording more dynamic tracks on my electronic tunes.
Why don't you just add triggers to your acoustic kit?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I put together a frankenstein kit with components from Roland and Thomann.
My hihat is a VH11 from Roland and all pads use meshheads.
I use a Alesis Trigger i/0 and a SPD-30 as converters.
Both are connected to a Macbook over USB and i am running superior2 for my drumsounds.
Works like a charme!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Roland V drums.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am highly considering the Yamaha DTX EXtreme III kit. I know its discontinued but I think for the price it is selling at, it beats roland's offererings in comparison. Great feel and good sounds. Roland, apart from the top of the line, seems a bit stale to me.

The Alesis Studio and DM10 pro kits look appealing. I tried one of the USB kits, it was a bit louder then other Ekits, and I didn't love the smaller pads, but the pro and studio at least have a 10 inch snare.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Roland HPD-15 as a snare with the Roland HiHat pedal the KD kick block pedal and a pad for Hi Hat.

The HPD has the inputs and trigger modes for that.

it's a mini kit and hand percussion unit.
Old 27th August 2011
Gear Head

if latency is an issue you can try this:;

just listen to the sounds of your drumhead (even if you don't like them),
record all the midi notes

and afterwards you put a vsti on that midi channel (during playback/mixing)
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

None of the current offerings have built in sounds that can compete sonically with something like BDF, Addictive Drums, or NI's Abbey Road/70s/80s/Studio Drummer etc. At this point, its just about finding a kit that you like playing, and having an interface with very low latency (if you want to be able to play them live). So many great options now, and Im pretty sure Roland is working on all new vdrums anyway.
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
None of the current offerings have built in sounds that can compete sonically with something like BDF, Addictive Drums, or NI's Abbey Road/70s/80s/Studio Drummer etc. At this point, its just about finding a kit that you like playing, and having an interface with very low latency (if you want to be able to play them live). So many great options now, and Im pretty sure Roland is working on all new vdrums anyway.
When you say interface with low latency, what do you mean exactly?

I'm running a Duet 2 but it has no midi input...
Is this a problem for me (I'm looking at getting a dtxpress and using it to trigger abbey road modern drums)?

Cheers,

Darren
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

If you're a -good- drummer you're going to notice it much more than a -good- piano player even at something low like 128 samples.

Latency that is.

I can barely feel 128 samples, baaarely (on keys) but a friend of mine can't hundle it on drums, he has to play with audio out of the module to a click.

It actually doesn't make that much sense to me, maybe its just him, but his level of talent makes his opinion super credible to me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterjohn View Post
I use 2003 Roland V-drums TD-6 (not the mesh) w/ Battery3 and Ultrabeat in Logic. I get incredible results but this is my personal setup and not really used by clients. I'm very satisfied with the sounds I get.
I've got V-Drums. A hybrid kit with the TD-20 module. How difficult is it to map sounds from Battery? I've got Battery, but haven't pulled it out yet.

What I've been experimenting with is recording loops into my MPC, using the stock sounds. The MPC records the sequences I play.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Roland V Drum at one room and another tiny Roland thing in the control room.
No one complains, the guys I use are used to everything.
Old 29th October 2011
Here for the gear

Alesis DM10 Studio 2010. Bang for your buck, punch for your pound, good onboard sounds on the module, and can be user upgraded to mesh heads really easily with the Hellfire mod.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Follow up: I decided to get a Roland HD-1 V-Drum kit instead of the ControlPad. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Fits in a very small space and lets me add more lively drum tracks to my songs and practice even when my family's asleep.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

I like old electronic drumkits.

I have a Pearl DRUM-X that I gave 80 euros for and couldn't be happier
It's a really nice kit with a really punchy sound.
It doesn't sound like an acoustic drum, but that's also the point...

And the same with my Simmons SDS9 kit, which is another great piece of gear.

Despite that, I'd love to get my hand on more kits, especially a Simmons SDX, SDSV and SDS7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search