The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Potential Motif XF buyer, can it step enter drums? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 28th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Potential Motif XF buyer, can it step enter drums?

What is the step enter function like on the Motif XS/XF?

I simply enter note values with my MPC60II by hitting the pad in step enter mode. The velocity is set by my playing the pad and then I advance to the next note step dictated by the note value.
It is the same as writing notes on notation paper.
This is how I program drum parts that I can't play, like complex fills/rolls.

I downloaded the Motif XS/XF manuals. I did read about step entering notes.
I didn't read anything about how the velocity for the note is set. I noticed there is no 32 triplet note value. But I may be able to work around that by sliding 32nd notes around in the editor.

What is the step enter mode like in practise on the Motif XS/XF?

Roman.
Old 28th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I have discovered there is no step enter mode on the Motif XF

I can do everything I need on my MPC60II.

But I was hoping for a modern all in one songwriting tool in the Motif XF.
I keep things pretty simple.
I play or program drum patterns and chain them together to make an arrangement then I play stuff on top like chords and basslines.

I thought I was going to be able to do this with the Motif XF.

I find 'step enter' important for drum rolls/fills.

I don't want to use arpeggios that make the keyboard play the music.
I want to play the music.

Funnily enough the Motif ES does have step enter. I don't know if it allows the velocity of the note to be set by the playing of the key but there is a simple step enter record mode detailed in the Motif ES pdf manual.

I don't want to spark negative reactions or be seen as a grumpy loser. But this is disappointing for the worlds flagship, most expensive workstation to not have basic sequencing tools like step entering notes.

Arpeggios? Would anyone here use those? Maybe some normal arpeggio uses like the run of notes but preset music?

I was fantasizing that I would sit at the Motif XF for the rest of my life writing songs like a Quincy Jones.

Maybe I should get an old ES. They can also have the PLG boards for the DX7 sounds and that virtual analogue synth.

Hip hop turned into preset music now this.
Old 28th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I can do everything I need on my MPC60II.

But I was hoping for a modern all in one songwriting tool in the Motif XF.
I keep things pretty simple.
I play or program drum patterns and chain them together to make an arrangement then I play stuff on top like chords and basslines.

I thought I was going to be able to do this with the Motif XF.

I find 'step enter' important for drum rolls/fills.

I don't want to use arpeggios that make the keyboard play the music.
I want to play the music.

Funnily enough the Motif ES does have step enter. I don't know if it allows the velocity of the note to be set by the playing of the key but there is a simple step enter record mode detailed in the Motif ES pdf manual.

I don't want to spark negative reactions or be seen as a grumpy loser. But this is disappointing for the worlds flagship, most expensive workstation to not have basic sequencing tools like step entering notes.

Arpeggios? Would anyone here use those? Maybe some normal arpeggio uses like the run of notes but preset music?

I was fantasizing that I would sit at the Motif XF for the rest of my life writing songs like a Quincy Jones.

Maybe I should get an old ES. They can also have the PLG boards for the DX7 sounds and that virtual analogue synth.

Hip hop turned into preset music now this.
Any phrase , any recording you do on the motif can be tunred into an apreggiator preset. Even the movement of knobs can be converted this way.

You could create your own set of arpeggiator presets to make up for loss of step sequencer.Like 4ths , 8ths and so on.

Also make sure you try the edit mode of sequencing you can enter note by note this way with absolute precision. Its not that hard, slower than step editing but pretty close.

You can definitely find workarounds.
Old 29th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 

A potential workaround...

Lots of drum rolls have 32nd triplet notes before the accented drum.
That's three little ghost notes in the space of one 16th note or 2 32nd notes.
Think Bob Marley intros with that steel snare that sounds like a timbale.
br r r bap bap!
I was thinking I could slow the tempo to half and probably fairly easily play a 16th note triplet.
But I have a feeling I would get annoyed or miss step entering notes.

Editing the velocities is crucial IMO. Because you can't get natural drum velocities from a keyboard. Even if they are close editing velocities makes the ghost notes more realistic. You can even copy the dynamics of a recording. Usually the first ghost note of a roll is a little bit louder than the next ones. I guess the stick hitting the drum first.

But after I downloaded the Roland Fantom G manual I found it has a few of my dream features.

1. Manual setting of 16 slice points on a sample. Beautiful, this is what I do all day when making sample based old school hip hop. Chop chop. Not even reCycle get's the slice points exact enough for myself. I have to set them manually. Well done Roland.

2. 16 velocity levels on the drum pads just like an MPC. This is almost equivalent of editing velocities. You can get them close to what you want.

I really wanted to load a Motif XF flash up with my sample CD collections favourite patches. I'm assuming you can individually select patches with samples and save them. That is real customisation. Dope.

I always thought I would be doing that with my Nord Lead 2. Swapping patches via the net and saving the ones I like.

I think the Roland Fantom looks like a more suitable workstation for me.

I'm obsessed with more and more sounds and the Motif XF has 755Mb rom vs Fantom Gs 255Mb.

But I am sure the sounds on the Fantom are better than my musicianship and songwriting. So I think I'll go with the Fantom so I get 'step recordin' and manual chopping of samples etc.

Roman.
Old 29th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Lots of drum rolls have 32nd triplet notes before the accented drum.
That's three little ghost notes in the space of one 16th note or 2 32nd notes.
Think Bob Marley intros with that steel snare that sounds like a timbale.
br r r bap bap!
I was thinking I could slow the tempo to half and probably fairly easily play a 16th note triplet.
But I have a feeling I would get annoyed or miss step entering notes.
Hmm I dont like this approach, I still think that arpeggiator is better way to do these things.

Quote:
Editing the velocities is crucial IMO. Because you can't get natural drum velocities from a keyboard. Even if they are close editing velocities makes the ghost notes more realistic. You can even copy the dynamics of a recording. Usually the first ghost note of a roll is a little bit louder than the next ones. I guess the stick hitting the drum first.
As far I remember the motif sequencer has a roll function to automate the process , you will have to look into manual for this.





Quote:
I really wanted to load a Motif XF flash up with my sample CD collections favourite patches. I'm assuming you can individually select patches with samples and save them. That is real customisation. Dope.
A Voice one the motif es is 4 elements. An element is one waveform. One waveform is up to 128 samples. So that is 128 * 4 = 512 samples per voice. In sequence voice you can have 16 voices, that is 8192 and all of that can resamples to a single sample. Motif also has a waveform editor with several standard function, onboard.

Each element has specific setting for velocity and each voice has also a 6 slot modulation matrix.

You can do amazingly complex stuff with motif. I own it almost 4 years and still learning it.

he best place to answer you questions , because I dont do so much rythmic music and I have no idea what a ghost note is. Is the motifators forums.

Oh I almost forgot with XS and XF you have double the elements , so you will have to double the above numbers.


Quote:
I think the Roland Fantom looks like a more suitable workstation for me.
X was great, G sounds are awful.

Quote:
I'm obsessed with more and more sounds and the Motif XF has 755Mb rom vs Fantom Gs 255Mb.
The sound on MOTIF XF are not only more they are miles away. Especially the accoustic sounds. Also XF uses flash rom for sampling that makes huge diffrene in loading times and can go up to 2gb.

Quote:
But I am sure the sounds on the Fantom are better than my musicianship and songwriting. So I think I'll go with the Fantom so I get 'step recordin' and manual chopping of samples etc.
Well the sound on the G , was way bellow my level that is for sure. I dont think I have ever heard a workstation with worse sounds.

But If it works for you, by all means, go for it.
Old 29th December 2010
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
rockerbruce's Avatar
 

My buddy composes entirely on the big MOTIF XF. All of his drums are modified through arp's as previously explained by Kilon.
Its impressive how deep you can get with the various arp's on many layers etc...However, I am rather unimpressed with how the drums sounds, even when layered etc...

I usually make much heavier sounding music than him though, so mb its just personal preference.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
michaelofGB45 / Music Computers
2
qdagamer / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
18
soupking / Music Computers
2
Bones / So much gear, so little time
11
gm5k / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump