The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best midi controller with pads
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

best midi controller with pads

ok, im programming drums in a more traditional sense. for rock and blues. but i know my electronic brothers will have the info i need. im using superior drummer. and im looking for at least a 49 key controller with pads. i want more than 8 pads so far im looking at the mpk 49 and the korg kontrol 49.

ive heard great things about the korg pads from the pad kontrol unit. i would assume the keyboard version would be close. i don't have room for both so thats why i would like a all in one unit thanks.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've owned both. I have an MPK88 right now. I really like it's integration. It's really easy to set up. Much easier than the Korg. The programmer software is great. I'm not really a fan of either of them when it comes to the pads. They just aren't very sensitive. I feel like I have to bash them to get any sound out and when I do it goes to full volume. I grew up using a Roland R-70. The pads on that were great. These days I stick to my electric kit for drum programming.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

The MPK´s (49-key version) pads are horrible. As in unplayable. The more expensive mpk´s have better pads.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Korg PK pads are the best around IMHO. I also have an MPC1000 and a MV-8000 and the PK are my favorite by far. They respond to the lightest touch, and they light up.
Old 29th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

All the Akai controllers that have pads suck. I mean seriously suck, they feel like you're tapping a piece of concrete.

The Korg padKONTROL is definitely the best unit on the market. Its the only one that I know of that uses square sensors underneath the pads, all the others use circular ones which doesn't make to much sense if the pads are square. Plus the X/Y controller on the pK is pretty sweet, great for rolls.

The only downside to the pK is that if you use it live vibration from speakers can trigger the pads occasionally.
Old 29th April 2011
Gear Head

Can anyone tell me what the pads on the Kontrol49 are like?

I've read they are different from the PadKontrol. I know the PadKontrol has some great pads.

A local guy is selling a Kontrol49 cheap. I'm tempted, but only if the pads are worthwhile.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search