The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My slim phatty Desktop Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

My slim phatty

Having a couple of issues.

1. I can't seem to get the lfo working? I'll make the source a triangle and destination filter and i'll make the rate nice and slow. I'll move the filter up and down but I dan't seem to get the lfo working?

2. I have it plugged into my speakers and it only comes through the left speaker. If this is because it is mono, how do I get it to come through both speakers?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1205 View Post
Having a couple of issues.

1. I can't seem to get the lfo working? I'll make the source a triangle and destination filter and i'll make the rate nice and slow. I'll move the filter up and down but I dan't seem to get the lfo working?

2. I have it plugged into my speakers and it only comes through the left speaker. If this is because it is mono, how do I get it to come through both speakers?

1) LFO Amount needs to be up, or you don't have the modulation wheel up. If you don't have a modulation wheel you can hold down the Amount button until it flashes, which allows you to audibly alter LFO amount w/o a mod wheel.

2) I'm not sure what you are pluggin into before the speakers... really hoping a small mixer or audio interface, as you are likely to blow the speaker if you are plugging into it directly. Sounds like you are plugging it in somewhere that has a stereo connection (ie your mono source will show up on the left channel.)
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
1) LFO Amount needs to be up, or you don't have the modulation wheel up. If you don't have a modulation wheel you can hold down the Amount button until it flashes, which allows you to audibly alter LFO amount w/o a mod wheel.

2) I'm not sure what you are pluggin into before the speakers... really hoping a small mixer or audio interface, as you are likely to blow the speaker if you are plugging into it directly. Sounds like you are plugging it in somewhere that has a stereo connection (ie your mono source will show up on the left channel.)
Ok, the reason y my lfo wasn't working is because I don't have a mod wheel. What you said to do worked, thank you.

lol, I have my sp connected into my speakers directly with a stereo TRS to 2 XLR (1 XLR to each speaker). How would I blow my speakers? idk, imma noob.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, the reason y my lfo wasn't working is because I don't have a mod wheel. What you said to do worked, thank you.

lol, I have my sp connected into my speakers directly with a stereo TRS to 2 XLR (1 XLR to each speaker). How would I blow my speakers? idk, imma noob.
Without something to limit when you are clipping, you will quickly blow the speakers unless they have something on board to prevent that from happening. The SP output is unbalanced, i.e. TS, so TRS = only the left output getting sound. If you purchase a small mixer or an audio interface to use w/ the SP you'll be able to get it audible in both speakers.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Without something to limit when you are clipping, you will quickly blow the speakers unless they have something on board to prevent that from happening. The SP output is unbalanced, i.e. TS, so TRS = only the left output getting sound. If you purchase a small mixer or an audio interface to use w/ the SP you'll be able to get it audible in both speakers.
I have M-Audio BX5a's, idk but I think they will prevent themselves from blowing? They each have built-in amps. I haven't turned my Slim Phatty past half volume yet while having it directly connected to the speakers. I don't have an audio interface yet neither an analog mixer but I like having it bypass the comp for now (no ad conversion). So is it possible that I could blow my speakers? and as I said, when I hook up my sp to either my speakers or computer in only shows a left channel and it's really annoying. If I hook it up using the headphone output the sound is more powerful and stereo but that is meant only for headphones correct?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have M-Audio BX5a's, idk but I think they will prevent themselves from blowing? They each have built-in amps. I haven't turned my Slim Phatty past half volume yet while having it directly connected to the speakers. I don't have an audio interface yet neither an analog mixer but I like having it bypass the comp for now (no ad conversion). So is it possible that I could blow my speakers? and as I said, when I hook up my sp to either my speakers or computer in only shows a left channel and it's really annoying. If I hook it up using the headphone output the sound is more powerful and stereo but that is meant only for headphones correct?
They'll probably be able to handle a bit of abuse but they are pro-sumer-grade speakers, so they aren't designed to take a lot of abuse before the cones blow. Your computer input is TRS most likely, so no surprise there. The headphone output is meant to drive headphones, so yes it will be loud. You can however adjust the headphone output amount in the Master menu, you could try lowering that a bit to make due for a while. Most DAW programs will let you create a "mono track" to receive input on, which in turn will allow you to hear it in both speakers during monitoring. Hope that helps.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
They'll probably be able to handle a bit of abuse but they are pro-sumer-grade speakers, so they aren't designed to take a lot of abuse before the cones blow. Your computer input is TRS most likely, so no surprise there. The headphone output is meant to drive headphones, so yes it will be loud. You can however adjust the headphone output amount in the Master menu, you could try lowering that a bit to make due for a while. Most DAW programs will let you create a "mono track" to receive input on, which in turn will allow you to hear it in both speakers during monitoring. Hope that helps.
Did you mean to say they *aren't pro-sumer speakers? My computer input is 1/8 trs i believe and I know I need to get an audio interface because running the sp through my daw (ableton live) at max vol I need to strap on a limiter (in ableton) and boost the gain to make it loud enough... I think I understand what you're saying about the daw, in ableton I can select "Audio From: 1" instead of the defualt "Audio From: 1/2" and that should probably make it stereo (or come through both speakers is what I mean). Your help is greatly appreciated and I love the fact that most of the people on here are mature/nice/educated unlike other forums.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you mean to say they *aren't pro-sumer speakers? My computer input is 1/8 trs i believe and I know I need to get an audio interface because running the sp through my daw (ableton live) at max vol I need to strap on a limiter (in ableton) and boost the gain to make it loud enough... I think I understand what you're saying about the daw, in ableton I can select "Audio From: 1" instead of the defualt "Audio From: 1/2" and that should probably make it stereo (or come through both speakers is what I mean). Your help is greatly appreciated and I love the fact that most of the people on here are mature/nice/educated unlike other forums.
No, M-Audio is a pro-sumer company from a product perspective. They make some decent stuff, but just don't expect to find military grade materials and components throughout. Point is that they aren't the kind of speakers you wanting to be pumping mega low frequencies to naked; They will probably blow pretty easily if the conditions are right (really most monitors out there will fall under this category). You absolutely have the right idea about Ableton, that should work. Mind you I use Cubase, but a DAW is a DAW and that's a pretty basic feature.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, M-Audio is a pro-sumer company from a product perspective. They make some decent stuff, but just don't expect to find military grade materials and components throughout. Point is that they aren't the kind of speakers you wanting to be pumping mega low frequencies to naked; They will probably blow pretty easily if the conditions are right (really most monitors out there will fall under this category). You absolutely have the right idea about Ableton, that should work. Mind you I use Cubase, but a DAW is a DAW and that's a pretty basic feature.
Ok, so the mono to stereo and lfo problems are fixed, so now having an analog mixer or audio interface will keep my speakers from receiving ultra low frequencies?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so the mono to stereo and lfo problems are fixed, so now having an analog mixer or audio interface will keep my speakers from receiving ultra low frequencies?
Your speakers would still receive the frequencies, but an audio interface will stop overages that otherwise damage them. An analog mixer will often have similar features i.e. clip protection.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search