The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
in need of high quality violin sound Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

in need of high quality violin sound

I i am in search for the ultimate software instrument for Violin samples. I recently purcgased Omnisphere and although it is great it lacks this particular sound i need. I also hace most of the native instrument packs and am still looking for one. Anyone familiar with one? Thanks in advance!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Violin is such a delicate an organic instrument that it's even tougher to emulate than an acoustic guitar as it is fretless. I honestly have never come across any sampler/plugin that has a convincing violin... it's even easier to emulate a full orchestra because it's a bunch of sounds meshed together rather than the intimacy of an individual violin. There is so much to the sound, how much weight the bow is being applied to the string, how quickly the bow is moving across the string, how the bow is coming off the string, the little nuances of the bow and finger when changing a note, etc.

Your best bet is to find a real violinist if you really want a convincing violin sound. Usually samplers do a great job with quick attack sounds like staccato that sound great. I'm sure that's the answer you may have wanted to avoid, but nothing ever beats the real thing. You want a digital violin or an analog violin? haha

Anyway, I've had some good experiences with IK Multimedia's Sampletank 2.x. The pizzicato and staccato sounds are some of the best I've ever heard. Then there are the standards: VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library), GPO, EWQL. Good luck finding something that satisfies you, ultimately!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

yep

I know what your saying, thanks for the input. I didnt think there was any out there but i thought i would ask around before I hire one. I may just sacrafice what i want and try to implement a "fuller" orchastra sound in the project. I will surley check out the softeware you recomended. Thanks again!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
I agree that there's nothing that will really convince you that its a real fiddler. Garritan used to do quite a good solo instrument but it got pulled after a spat between the creators and Garritan himself. kirk Hunter made one called the 'Appassionata Violin' which is very limited but works for a very specific style of 19th century style writing. There's some weird phasing in his stuff though so I've never been a fan of his libraries. The leader of the 1sts in the LASS library is very good. Not perfect, but probably the best out there. Problem is that you have to puchase the main library (or at least the lite version) to get it. A lot of bunce, but its a great investment as libraries go. There's also the one in EW's Gypsy (lovely sound, not too convincing legato though).
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you mean this was pulled?

Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Do you mean this was pulled?

That's not real, is it?... is it?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
That's not real, is it?... is it?
"It's real, and it's spectacular"
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Listen from 2:25

You will have a hard job getting anything 'authentic' without a high price tag.

VSL is unparalleled when it comes to realism.

That video below looks fake I have watched it twice and it's out of sync on a number of levels

EDIT: not saying that it's NOT the Garritan violin lib, the live playing does not add up to me !

Last edited by FUBAR; 28th December 2010 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: forgot
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Top of the pile have to be LASS and VSL extended Solo Strings DVDs - neither are cheap but both are of the highest caliber and both offer true legato options so that notes can slur smoothly without crunching in with attack transients like all the others.

EastWest's solo violin in GYPSY Is great for the cajun and folk style fiddle tho as has been mentioned doesn't have the legato option so you can get some cheesy artefacts if you're not careful. East West's QLSO also has a more classical solo violin patch which if you blend the mics you can get to sound pretty good.

If you're looking for a very different take on the violin then try Ultimate Sound Banks ' IRCAM Solo Instruments' this comes with a range of different solo instruments but really does go into playing styles that none of the other libraries have bothered doing ... some pretty strange 'extended techniques' and 'transitions' The other useful thing about the IRCAM solo patches is the ability to chose which of the four strings the note is played on via a simple keyswitch at the bottom of the keyboard..... this can make a dramatic change in tonality with the same note sounding on a different string - ultimate control ... tho no legato patches.

For a cheap thrill it may be worth checking out the older Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra 'Solo Strings' disk which was made for EMU and Akai samplers over a decade ago - I recently converted the whole solo violin library to work in Kontatk as one massive keyswitch patch - this library has a fairly basic sustain section with three dynamic layers as well as the standard stacc. pizz , trem, crescendos etc but what it also has is runs, 4types of mordents, 4 types of turns, grace notes, arpeggiated chords, short chords etc ... so loads of performed fragments that more than make up for the simple sustains and can also make the performance more convincingly real... ish ! ! ha ha

Good luck finding your solution !

Beer.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
Your best bet is to find a real violinist if you really want a convincing violin sound
+1

but here's a tip: whilst your violinist is in the studio, get him/her to improvise over lots of your other tracks, at different tempos and in different keys. That way you'll have your own library of real violin phrases which can be used in future songs. They can even help kick-start the creative writing process.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatstrings View Post
+1

but here's a tip: whilst your violinist is in the studio, get him/her to improvise over lots of your other tracks, at different tempos and in different keys. That way you'll have your own library of real violin phrases which can be used in future songs. They can even help kick-start the creative writing process.

Wise words but. . . . Finding a violinist who can improvise ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Woa ! !

Now .... Phew......excuse me.

Ahem..

Yeah,

That's better. .. . . Wouldn't it be great if violinists COULD improvise ! !

Wow ! what a world that would be.

Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Ya its very hard to find a violin player who can improvise. So look around for a fiddle player instead.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

pretty sure most violinists that have a masters degree can improvise over a simple tonal progression.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOrange View Post
pretty sure most violinists that have a masters degree can improvise over a simple tonal progression.
Sadly from experience I have to reveal that even with a music degree from the finest music schools in Europe virtually none can improvise ... its not part of the education and is totally alien to most.
Old 7th January 2011
The OP doesn't want a real violinist.

Old 9th January 2011
Gear Maniac

ive found the east west sample libraries pretty cool. they do staccato and pizzicato strings very nicely and also work well when creating pads/chords. However if you want a solo lead line ive found it very hard to get a realistic sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search