The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which (low budget) analog synth to complete the GX2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

which (low budget) analog synth to complete the GX2

Hi dear slutzs!

First I want to say that I´m into lofi, noise and industrial music. Like, Deutsche Amerikanische Freundschaft, Esplendor Geometrico, Front 242...and so on.

Now to my dilema: I have a Nord Modular G2X but to be honest, Idon´t have the time and the knowledge to work with this monster...because the presets are quite ****y..I also wanted to sell it..but I don´t have the courage to live without it...

Now I decided to add an analog device for a better workflow, but I can´t give more than 400euros...

I´m between the Dave Smith´s Mopho and the MFB Nanozweg and the Dopefer´s Dark Energy. Ok...and the Blofeld is VERY interesting for his price, but it´s not analog...but ployphonic.

Which would you recommend for my music interests?

I would appreciate your opinions!

Best Wishes!
Old 27th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Save for a DSI Tetra. It will greatly complement the GX2.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear
Totally IMHO :
1) Waldorf Microwave1 (the analog one..)
2) Obetheim Matrix6/1000

The microwave is a must-have machine for industrial/noise/lo-fi.
I avoid the DSI (I had mopho, evolver and used the tetra) because they have a lot of features but don't sound so good as the old 80's synths like microwave , matrix and so on.
A matrix1000 can do more than a tetra as "soundesign" and sounds better too.
Doepfer and mfb are "cheap" things, prefer the mfb , but I would not buy them again.

G2 is cool but it cannot do anything you won't do (even better) with sw.
I think we should get synths for their "sound", because it's useless to have a ton of feature and a "boring sound".
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthvibrations View Post
Totally IMHO :
1) Waldorf Microwave1 (the analog one..)
the only thing analog about it is the filter. THE MW XT has a really wicked sound and can make pretty much any sound you can program. it's unique and imo stands alone.

Quote:
The microwave is a must-have machine for industrial/noise/lo-fi.
I avoid the DSI (I had mopho, evolver and used the tetra) because they have a lot of features but don't sound so good as the old 80's synths like microwave , matrix and so on.
A matrix1000 can do more than a tetra as "soundesign" and sounds better too.
Doepfer and mfb are "cheap" things, prefer the mfb , but I would not buy them again.

G2 is cool but it cannot do anything you won't do (even better) with sw.
I think we should get synths for their "sound", because it's useless to have a ton of feature and a "boring sound".
some of the wickedest sounds i've heard came from a G2. it all comes down to how it's programmed and what patches you can come up with. if that type of work isn't for you then try a different synth. modular patching in software isn't for everyone but it's certainly capable of anything. there are some amazing patches on electro-music.com and also the nofuture forum

re: DSI evolver.. imo is one of the best synths around for dirty weird and wicked sounds.. and you can't beat the price. it's pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it and the price is right. i think the mono evo desktop is the best synth in the DSI line up. just my opinion of course

if you want dirt you could just get some processing.. distortion etc. ohmboyz ohmicide is a good start... but any cheap hardware distortion pedal will be worth exploring.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict
I'd definitely think about processing. Very few recordings in those genres rely on particularly special synths to begin with. Some I'm sure do have special synths, but that's probably more a result of an artist having one already and working with it. I'd look into distortion and delays with feedback and use them as instruments.

Also a sampler you are comfortable with using would help since sampling is one capability the Nord does not have.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Waldorf Pulse + Nord G2(X).

There is even a midi editor for the Pulse so you can control it from the G2.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH417 View Post
Waldorf Pulse + Nord G2(X).

There is even a midi editor for the Pulse so you can control it from the G2.
you can control anything that receives midi CC's and note ons from the G2.. you don't need a midi editor.

i'd look for something grainy and digital to go along with the G2 or something like a future retro XS but really it comes down to the processing.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
the only thing analog about it is the filter. THE MW XT has a really wicked sound and can make pretty much any sound you can program. it's unique and imo stands alone.

some of the wickedest sounds i've heard came from a G2. it all comes down to how it's programmed and what patches you can come up with. if that type of work isn't for you then try a different synth. modular patching in software isn't for everyone but it's certainly capable of anything. there are some amazing patches on electro-music.com and also the nofuture forum

re: DSI evolver.. imo is one of the best synths around for dirty weird and wicked sounds.. and you can't beat the price. it's pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it and the price is right. i think the mono evo desktop is the best synth in the DSI line up. just my opinion of course

if you want dirt you could just get some processing.. distortion etc. ohmboyz ohmicide is a good start... but any cheap hardware distortion pedal will be worth exploring.

The filter in the first Microwave change the sound from digital to hybrid, that's the point!
I had for years both the MW1 and the XT, then sold the xt (with no regrets) and I keep my old MW1, because it can do all the mw raw sounds but it's alive, the xt is good, but very similar to what you can do with sw.

The G2 is a awesome machine, I didn't say it's boring, I mean if graf feels it sounds boring to him, then should use something different, everyone has his tastes.

Evolver is a top synth for the price, but to my ears DSI makes synth that could be better with a little more attenction to details.
I'm not speaking about the look, but the sound, the filter is quite harsh and resonance could be improved to sound more "musical", effects are so-so, and envelopes are fast but noisy.
The strong points are the digital oscillators and the sequencer.

A good old sampler as an Ensoniq EPS16+ would be a great "industrial workstation"
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

which (low budget) analog synth to complete the GX2

Get the evolver...the distortion and output hack are perfect for the kind music you're into. You can get really dark with it.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey

Because I returned today my Tetra because it was going nutz, the guy there reminded me of the Vermona Mono Lancet, he said that it goes for some wicked noisy stuff, and I think he knows what he says, because he likes the same like you and me heh

So I will check it Out...you too?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'm not positive but i believe the lancet is also fully discrete, which none of the DSI products are
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

You might consider the Spectral Audio Neptune 2 as well. I have a Mopho and like it but I wouldn't consider it for "workflow". Plus it doesn't exactly scream Front 242 to me. (What are you using for distortion?)
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Before you sell your Nord Modular check out these presets:

electro-music.com :: View Forum - G2 Patches - Completed

There are a lot of patches that sound wicked, you will have years to listen through them and test them out. In my opinion the G2 is one of the most versatile sounding synthesizers around, I don't think you need to buy an analog synth to become happy.

If you have no idea of the nordmodular, check out these workshops:

Clavia Nord Modular G2 FAQ

I don't think it makes sense to buy another synth as long as you don't get the basic concepts of synthesizers and the Nord Modular is perfect for learning this.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Evolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumply View Post
Get the evolver...the distortion and output hack are perfect for the kind music you're into. You can get really dark with it.
+1

Dave Smith was not into copying the old analogs, what's the point in that. New DSI synths are modern analogs for modern music and they sound fabulous! Prophet 08 is a masterpiece! I'd say go for the Evolver, great sounds, cutting through the mix, very industrial. +1 for Mopho as well, this one's got balls.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Hi dear people!!!

Sorry writing you just now...but I had my e-mail notifications deactivated...
Also want to say that I can´t answer you all, but thankssssss a lot for your opinions and advices!!!!

First I want to say that I love my G2X because I know what this monster can do...but what is frustrating, is, that I don´t have the knowledge to explore it...yet! And yes, I know many of the completed presets from this Electro Nord page...but there are not really my taste of sounds..but certainly i´ll explore it more. I´m trying to contact Roland Kuit to buy his G2 DvD tutorial, but without answer yet...i´ll wait.

...and I decided not to sell my Modular!

Your advices are very interesting...really! But also a little confusing (in a good sense)...because I checked out all the synths you described here. And there all very very good...but some of them are to expensive for my budget or difficult to find them even used.

- The Spectral Audio Neptune 2 sounds amazing! But for Live performances IMO not so comfortable...and difficult to find it to try it out in a conventional music store..

- The Microwave 1 and XT also awesmoe, but also a little expensive...and difficult to find...

- The Vermona...hmm...very interessting..but I miss a little more versatility...but a great must of extra device to have!!!

- The Evolver, yes...I think maybe I will go in this direction!...But I would prefer the MEK version because it would be awesome to used it live. But I don´t have the budget...so the desktop version could be a choice. But I need to try it out first. But nice...really nice!

The last days I was searching and searching and I stumbled to 2 more potential (non-analog) competitors Waldorf´s Blofeld and Alesis` Ion.

To complicate and confuse this thread a little more, I would like to ask your opinion and if you experiences with this synths. The 3 (second-hand price) competitors are:

1. DSI Mono Evolver Desktop
2. Alesis Ion
3. Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard

I will appreciate very much your opinions!!!!!

Thanks a lot again!!!!
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear
DSI are good synths for sure but I don't think the statment old analogs for old music and new analogs to make today's music is true...
I feel music is a so large abstract concept that cannot be reduced to this kind of divisions.
old synths can make tomorrows music, today's synths can make old music, music doesn't rely on instruments, music is a product of our creativity and there are many different ways to do it.
every instrument could be right!
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear
Hi Graf!
I owned blofeld , evolver and ion, I kept the evolver (desktop) because I like it and fits well in my workflow.

I would choose a poly evolver rack , if you can, and if you find it...
The polyevolver is the best DSI product as it can be used for analog sounds as for digitals pads etc.
The limit of the evolver desktop It's not in its UI but in the lack of polyphony.
I often create patches I 'd like play in poly (like waveseq.pads) but I have to do overdub to obtain the result...

Blofeld is a good synth but nothing you cannot do with sw & the G2, and the same is for the ION.
I mean get something that can scream or play soft but with an analog dimension in it.

you could also consider to buy a filter like the Shermann Filterbank to process your digital sounds, the filterbank is pretty awesome for industrial/noise.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
DSI are good synths for sure but I don't think the statment old analogs for old music and new analogs to make today's music is true...
I feel music is a so large abstract concept that cannot be reduced to this kind of divisions.
old synths can make tomorrows music, today's synths can make old music, music doesn't rely on instruments, music is a product of our creativity and there are many different ways to do it.
every instrument could be right!
I know very well what is music.That was not my point. Dave Smith synth were not made to sound like retro or like Prophet 5 or like any other "old" analog. I'm little bit tired of people bitching about them as they don't sound like the old prophets or whatever. I don't care what chips are inside, i care how they sound. I found Prophet 08, Mopho and Tetra great for what i do and that's electro house, electro pop. I don' find Prophet 5 or T8 suitable for this genre, got them all in my collection just because of 80s nostalgia but i don't use them in commercial tracks. That was my point. This all applies to new Moogs as well, great synths and i don't give a s**t if they don't sound like original Moog D.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey synthvibrations

Very interesting this Shermann Filterbank! Could be a cool extra device to have,yes!

One question: I was thinking that I would like especially do dirty, lofi industrial bass sequencing! Is the Evolver good for that? ...or is there another kind of synth to do this kind of work? Does the mono Evolver do free editing sequencing?

And maybe you´re right...to buy an Blofeld would make no sense having the G2x..
But the ION is nice for live performances!!! But do you now about the sequencing of the ION..?..

The poly Evolver is nice...but really don´t have the money...not even for the rack..

...sorry..a lot of questions...

But thanks for any anwser...
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear
Hi Graf!
the evolver has a 4 track step sequencer that can be very interesting for basslines, and I think it's the one you are looking for.
You can control one parameter (at your choice) with every track, so 4 parameters!
evolver can sound really industrial, even without using the distortion or hack, just get a distortion (pedal or use the one inthe evo) and you'll have top noise-lo-fi bass.

the ion doesn't have a sequencer, but a strange "semipreset" arpeggiator, ion can emulate analog sounds, but the G2 is way better as VA, and even for live performances I'd prefer the G2.

Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey!

I can get the Oberheim matrix 1000 for 300 euros and matrix 6 for 450euros!

I saw that you recommended the matrix 1000 and i liked the sound very much. But do you still recommend it for sequences or it´s better to make the Evolver choice?

reagards!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graf View Post
Hey!

I can get the Oberheim matrix 1000 for 300 euros and matrix 6 for 450euros!

I saw that you recommended the matrix 1000 and i liked the sound very much. But do you still recommend it for sequences or it´s better to make the Evolver choice?

reagards!
As good as the Matrix line of synths is, it's not really ideal for dirty industrial type patches. They are very good sounding and affordable though.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

hmm...i was right now reading a review in amazona.de...the matrix 6 seems to be nice but especially for pads or vangellis arpeggs...and seems not to be so easy to tweak ... but strange...i listened to cool sequences on youtube...

I think the Evolver will be a more secure choice...
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear
regarding the analog part of the evo, it sounds really close to the matrix6/1000 , but the matrix has a better sounding filter and 6 voice poly.
The envelopes on the evo are faster than the ones of the matrix but on the evo env clicks (even with long attack) and the matrix can go fast without any unwanted click or noise.
As sequence , owning both , they both are good at sequences and basslines in the american "style", not only Vangelis arpeggios, you have to work on your patches , don't listen only to presets!
The matrix doesn't have the distortion, but you can grab a Boss pedal for that task.
The only downside on the matrix is the interface that has no knobs, so you have to use velocity, mod wheels, aftertouch etc assigned to knobs on the G2 to tweak it in realtime.
Editing on the matrix6 is the same as on the evolver, a matrix diagram...
Matrix1000 needs a sw editor.
I think the Matrixs are the best synths that you can grab for cheap now.
at the price of a Mopho you can have a synth that's poly and has a more powerful synth engine (big matrix mod, analog FM...).
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

The Evolver seems to fit the genre industrial. It's more a clear and cold synth and has some nice feedback lines.

As far as I can hear, there are a lot of FM and Sync Sounds in industrial with a lot of distortion on it. Maybe it would be a good idea to get some distortion pedals . They are cheap and the nord would profit from some analog distortion fx.
Old 29th December 2010
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
there are some amazing patches on electro-music.com and also the nofuture forum
I had a quick look, but didn't find the nofuture forum you mentioned; do you have a link? I would love to check out their patches.

Quote:
And maybe you´re right...to buy an Blofeld would make no sense having the G2x..
They are pretty different synths though. Different sound to them, and different ways of working. They can cover different territory. I think the point may have been that one can cover a lot of the same ground, for less money, with your existing G2X plus software, if you like working that way.

Quote:
But the ION is nice for live performances!!! But do you now about the sequencing of the ION..?..
Do you specially need on board sequencing?

Quote:
ion can emulate analog sounds, but the G2 is way better as VA, and even for live performances I'd prefer the G2.
I don't find the G2 particularly good for analogue emulation. It has its own thing going on, and is very Nordy. If one actually needs analogue character, I'd look at real analogue. I also think the G2X is a nice performance instrument.

Quote:
I´m trying to contact Roland Kuit to buy his G2 DvD tutorial, but without answer yet...i´ll wait.
He's around. He's no longer selling his tutorial directly. I'm waiting on his agent to set up a web site to handle orders. It's taking a really long time for something that is not really all that complicated. Oh, I want one too. In the meantime, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on programming that thing online.

Quote:
The Microwave 1 and XT also awesmoe, but also a little expensive...and difficult to find...
Not really that hard to find if you are patient, and one can still find good prices for these. I think I paid less than $300 for my uWave 1a, and am really satisfied with it. If you want to play something like this live, then a good control box would be worth buying. You can use the G2x for this, to some extent.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
He's around. He's no longer selling his tutorial directly. I'm waiting on his agent to set up a web site to handle orders. It's taking a really long time for something that is not really all that complicated. Oh, I want one too. In the meantime, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on programming that thing online.
Please let me know if you talked with him! I really need this DVD...thanks!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Hi everyone, I hope you had all good time in the last days!

I must update my thread. And I want to say that I have a little more budget now, because I´ve sold a Triton I wasn´t using.

That means, that I could buy an MEK or a Prophet 8 (desktop)!!!

About the Evolver you said a lot of great thinks and I´m very into!!!
But what about the Prophet 8? Is the main difference just the polyphony? Which one sounds more analog and angrier?

Which one could combine better with my Nord G2x and for my music preferences?

Thanks a lot for any help... and sorry for my indecisions!!!

Best Wishes!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

for what it's worth, i would go for the Evolver (any version) over the P'08. the sonic possibilities are more broad, and it would most likely suit your musical preference better.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
for what it's worth, i would go for the Evolver (any version) over the P'08. the sonic possibilities are more broad, and it would most likely suit your musical preference better.
I agree.

Also, its audio processing capabilities put it on another level entirely for harder edged genres. You'll **** yourself when you hear what it can do to a stale drum loop. Very wicked stuff. I actually had more fun using it as an effects processor than a synth, even though the synth part also sounds great.

If you get an Evolver don't forget to purchase the Soundtower software editor. Not so much for changing the parameters but for the "Program Genetics" function. It's a very flexible patch randomizing/morphing feature that is extremely powerful. It'll give you tons of new and interesting sounds in no time. You can also randomize/morph the external audio presets while running loops and sequences through it. Don't forget to sync it to MIDI clock while doing this. ****in' KILLER FUN!

Man you're making me want to buy another Evolver.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search