The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feedback: New deep-afro-house track with exotic scale & monstrous sub-bass Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
It is more clear now than it was before - i mean, it was there all the time, but i just expected something more...

...basically i expected my shelves trembling and getting swamped in sub 40 hz frequencies with a little added rythm on top given your ever so slightly exaggerated topic title.

Are you in marketing?
If not you should be heh
LMAO :-)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just a quick bump on a new mix I added last night- for the daytime people here:

I've tried to address all the issues that you guys have raised... and it now sounds infinitely better thanks to your help! Cheers!

Any other tips/comments?

I think it might be time to put this one to bed for a while & move on to the next.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

back on the interwebz today and sounding good on the A7's can hear the sub nice on these doesnt need to be any bigger IMHO..

"
I think it might be time to put this one to bed for a while & move on to the next. "

thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
back on the interwebz today and sounding good on the A7's can hear the sub nice on these doesnt need to be any bigger IMHO..

"
I think it might be time to put this one to bed for a while & move on to the next. "

thumbsup
Cheers dude thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Yep sounding a whole lot better now definitely. It's a very mellow track and personally I'd like to hear more variation and progression, but it's cool either way. I look forward to the remixes
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugol View Post
Yep sounding a whole lot better now definitely. It's a very mellow track and personally I'd like to hear more variation and progression, but it's cool either way. I look forward to the remixes
Thanks!

Yeah, I hear you... but I don't want to spent much more time on it, since it's not like it's the most amazing tune ever... on to the next one... which might be heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, I hear you... but I don't want to spent much more time on it, since it's not like it's the most amazing tune ever... on to the next one... which might be heh
onwards and upwards

I'm at a point where I have to force myself to finish songs to get more practise at producing etc.. just wish I could write something I really love. I'll compare what I'm writing to my guide track then think 'wow mine really is **** compared to this guide track' - melodically and production wise tutt

I think I need to work on my choice of sounds on songs.. however the hell you're ment to work on that lol. At the moment my synth sound choices seem random..
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
onwards and upwards

I'm at a point where I have to force myself to finish songs to get more practise at producing etc.. just wish I could write something I really love. I'll compare what I'm writing to my guide track then think 'wow mine really is **** compared to this guide track' - melodically and production wise tutt

I think I need to work on my choice of sounds on songs.. however the hell you're ment to work on that lol. At the moment my synth sound choices seem random..
Yep. It's a constant uphill battle.

Frustratingly, I feel that progress in this field becomes exponentially more difficult... you develop quickly at first, but the better you get, the harder it becomes to improve.

I think you've struck on something important there though... FINISHING SONGS. This takes discipline, but I think that in taking a song to completion you are forced to iron out all the weaknesses to the best of your ability, and you get better at it every time.

I believe that this track of mine here is my best in terms of production. I might possibly have written better songs before, but I feel I stepped up my game here technically. Loads of stuff that I'll then take on to the next!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
I would also add in an open hi hat as the track progresses, would give it more of a classic housey techno feel which I would like to hear in there. Maybe add another shaker in there too play a consistant 16th rhythm, very low in the mix, but I find this usually thickens things out loads.
... Starting to think I might have to bite the bullet & add an off-beat hat.

I think the track's biggest weakness right now is that the musical idea around which it is based is a little off kilter... for example, the accent on the low marimba (which is the lead whilst it's in) is every 1/8th dotted, delayed by 1/16th from the start of the bar (as it follows on 16th after every chord hit.).

... maybe an off beat hat is exactly what this track is crying out for.

Hmm.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. It's a constant uphill battle.

Frustratingly, I feel that progress in this field becomes exponentially more difficult... you develop quickly at first, but the better you get, the harder it becomes to improve.

I think you've struck on something important there though... FINISHING SONGS. This takes discipline, but I think that in taking a song to completion you are forced to iron out all the weaknesses to the best of your ability, and you get better at it every time.

I believe that this track of mine here is my best in terms of production. I might possibly have written better songs before, but I feel I stepped up my game here technically. Loads of stuff that I'll then take on to the next!
Yep I'm with you guys on this one. So easy to get stuck trying to perfect a short loop (no such thing) and never actually complete anything. Powering through and finishing tunes is a great approach and takes discipline.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

For anyone who isn't totally sick to death of hearing this... I've just upped yet another mix:

Done some hefty tweaking... made some quite big changes to the balance of some parts.

Added an off-beat hat... super tight closed hat in the first section, then a bigger shekere through the later peak sections. Think this has made it a lot more dancey/pacey.

Worked on the subs a lot, reenforced the 3rd harmonic, generally made them bigger.

Worked on the kick & got it cutting more.

Got the whole mix around a dB louder.

Pumped up the lead elements a bit to get them more upfront.

... hopefully the whole mix is now much heavier, punchier & flows better.

Any further criticism would be greatly appreciated... you've been a world of help so far!!
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Head

Really nice vibe mate, like it a lot !
Personally, I would use a stronger clap and open hat. Would make it easier to play out. Apart from that, sounds pretty tight to me
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Head

Yah I like the bass to boom. But the track is nice.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody WOW View Post
Really nice vibe mate, like it a lot !
Personally, I would use a stronger clap and open hat. Would make it easier to play out. Apart from that, sounds pretty tight to me
Cheers.

Yeah... have really been trying to avoid having any off-beat hat whatsoever... so what I've put in there is very subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxburn View Post
Yah I like the bass to boom. But the track is nice.
... Is that to say that the bass in this presently does not boom?

Tough to find the right balance with sub bass... but I felt it was finally pretty huge.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

I say don't f--- with it anymore. It's done. nice work.

Unless it's time for "dub style" remix
or adding a break with real african drummers or something. <wink>.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
I say don't f--- with it anymore. It's done. nice work.

Unless it's time for "dub style" remix
or adding a break with real african drummers or something. <wink>.
Ha... thanks a lot... and nice suggestions ;-D
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just wanted to re-post the track... otherwise, the most recent soundcloud link is a trance tune in someone's signature, which might be confusing!

:-)
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wanted to re-post the track... otherwise, the most recent soundcloud link is a trance tune in someone's signature, which might be confusing!

:-)
Do only the tunes you've released on labels go on spotify? :(
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Maniac

don't really hear anything ethnic about the scale. You are just outlining an A minor triad and an A natural minor will fit or I suppose an E phrygian. I did read the red bull interview and the ethiopean cultural guy talk about the scales they use but they aren't exactly unconventional from tonal scales or church modes.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
Do only the tunes you've released on labels go on spotify? :(
I can't really see how or why unreleased music would be on there.

I'm also missing the context of this (?)
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOrange View Post
don't really hear anything ethnic about the scale. You are just outlining an A minor triad and an A natural minor will fit or I suppose an E phrygian. I did read the red bull interview and the ethiopean cultural guy talk about the scales they use but they aren't exactly unconventional from tonal scales or church modes.
The scale will fit into a natural minor... but not with the same root, since the first step of the scale is a semitone... so it sounds a little different from anything you'd get out of the conventional major/minor scales that make up the vast majority of mainstream Western music, even though it's still using the same equal temperament piano notes.

You are right that it will fit into Phrygian mode... but it excludes the third & seventh degrees of Phrygian.
...I think often what is left out can make all the difference... for example, the Japanese scales Hirajoshi, Kumoi & Iwato ALL fit into the natural minor... but, to me at least, they sound distinctly different from a typical natural minor:

I do accept your point though... this track does not sound radically exotic.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't really see how or why unreleased music would be on there.

I'm also missing the context of this (?)
Because theyre awesome

Sorry was out of context I admit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search