The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC noob question Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

MPC noob question

I want to get an mpc, I'd like the 3000 but it's just out of my price range (I want 16 bits), my best bet would be an mpc2000, but I'd love to have the notorious Roger Linn swing on it. The thing is if I use the internal sequencer, will I be able to layer multiple 303 sequences and play them all at once? And sequence various 303 (xoxbox) sequences in a row to create a more variating groove?

Will it be 'tight' and continuous? Does the roger linn swing really make so much of a difference?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidthrust View Post
I want to get an mpc, I'd like the 3000 but it's just out of my price range (I want 16 bits), my best bet would be an mpc2000, but I'd love to have the notorious Roger Linn swing on it. The thing is if I use the internal sequencer, will I be able to layer multiple 303 sequences and play them all at once? And sequence various 303 (xoxbox) sequences in a row to create a more variating groove?

Will it be 'tight' and continuous? Does the roger linn swing really make so much of a difference?
Im not self-proclaimed mpc-master, but ive owned 2x2000xl's, 60, 60mk2, and 3k. IMO the 60 and 3k DO have a better feel. Im not sure why exactly but the final product that comes out of these machines FOR ME is FAR better than what i got out of the 2kxl.. Yes i know people get good things from the 2kxl but im thinking theyd get something better if they did the same track on the 3k/60..

If you want just the swing of the linn machines just lurk the bay really hard and youll find a good deal on a 3k or 60.. theyre gonna hold theyre value better than a 2k id think anyway..
Old 26th December 2010
As far as what MPC...
I'd not worry much about the Roger Linn aspect as it's just a 5-10% factor in the machines. I'd get what you can afford. I don't think the Roger Linn aspect is much of a issue, it's a tool and use it within it's abilities.

I'd steer clear of the 2000 and go to the 2000xl as it's worth it for the added flexibility. I'd also look at the 1000 as a good entry level unit with the added ability to run the 3rd party software. The newer the machine the more likely your going to have software for the ability to exchange sample data easily with a computer. They all can basically read floppy disks and programs created on a computer, but the memory cards and stick or direct USB is fairly simple. I'd steer clear of the 500.

As far as using the xoxbox, your limited by the way the XOX see the midi data. Since it's a mono synth it can only have one voice trigger at a time. The multiple tracks of sequencing would not give you multiple voices from your xoxbox. This could be done using additional xox's or sequencing a part and recording it, then muting the track in the MPC sequencer with a DAW synced to the MPC and then playing back your tracks with the daw providing the additional parts.

Depending on what your making, I'd probably sync the MPC to the XOxbox and let there sequencers run independent using midi clock and MMC.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

have you considered the mpc4000? you can find them for around 800 used. it's probably the most flexible of all the mpcs.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

you can probably successfully clock either from either. from looking at a clock signal on a scope the swing of the MPC will likely result in a varying tempo. so it's very possible that tempo swing aspects of the MPC will swing the actual clock pulses. if that's the case they will potentially swing differently depending on which is the master clock.

but with the two you have the chance to see which is best for certain kinds of music styles.

I've read some forums where Akai tech people have tested which MPC is the tightest. apparently the 2000 was.. I guess they meant that any slight variations were the least visible on that one. The XL has the CF card though which is a great help. I also think it reads wavs. which is another nice thing.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

MPC noob question

Hi, I only have experience with the 1k so every time I see a thread like this I wonder what makes the legacy mpc's so sought after. Essentially my question is what's the between a legacy mpc and a maxed out 1k/2.5k with jj os2xl?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search